Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #241
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I see your angle and I don't play in the competitive arena at all, but another angle is, if your opponent can't shut you down, don't you keep running the same play until they do shut you down?

I don't even know how many minutes are in a quarter in competitive mode, but I don't think I would be able to run many different plays if the minutes are 5 minute quarters.

If batters in baseball can't hit your fastball, why start throwing them curveballs?
I think this logic is more reasonable in real life, but people exploit issues in the game. For example, on madden 15 I found I could go no huddle and audible to a formation where my receiver would line up at TE and run a corner route. By default, even though he was the outside most guy, he would get covered by mlb and would burn him based on a 20 point speed difference. Play was stopped once out of 20 times run. I had to stop calling it because it was cheap. Even against a human, it would have been nearly unstoppable because of how the ai played.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #242
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax25
I think this logic is more reasonable in real life, but people exploit issues in the game. For example, on madden 15 I found I could go no huddle and audible to a formation where my receiver would line up at TE and run a corner route. By default, even though he was the outside most guy, he would get covered by mlb and would burn him based on a 20 point speed difference. Play was stopped once out of 20 times run. I had to stop calling it because it was cheap. Even against a human, it would have been nearly unstoppable because of how the ai played.
Ah, ok, thanks for the description. I think that's true in other online competitive sports games.

So, basically, it boils down to video game vs real life.

Last edited by roadman; 05-20-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #243
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Quote:
Ah, ok, thanks for the description.

So, basically, it boils down to video game vs real life.

Pretty much. In User vs. CPU in the Shotgun Trey Open, thereís a play called Levels Split that the CPU can not stop whatsoever. Send the inside WR on a streak and the safety crashes down/leaves a huge hole in the secondary. Itís a TD or a big gain almost 90% of the time.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #244
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan89
They should take some ideas that 2k5 football had and use some like those. Every thing was amazing about that game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

Yeah thatís not true at all and I loved that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #245
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Pretty much. In User vs. CPU in the Shotgun Trey Open, there’s a play called Levels Split that the CPU can not stop whatsoever. Send the inside WR on a streak and the safety crashes down/leaves a huge hole in the secondary. It’s a TD or a big gain almost 90% of the time.
Bah, that's why I don't like coming here sometimes, you learn exploits, which I wouldn't even think about using user vs cpu.lol

Last edited by roadman; 05-20-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #246
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I think AJ confirmed (correct me if I am wrong) that CFM is new from the ground up. I am sure there are legacy game play coding in the game from years gone by.
There is a very small detail that leads me to believe it is not though.

Many many years ago while Ian was still there they redesigned the player info card interface, and they made a very dumb mistake -- they forgot to put draft info on it. Ian came out on this forum and said that it simply slipped their mind. He said they were putting it under the awards section in a patch. Mentioned how it wasn't ideal but the best they could do to get the info into the game.

Guess where draft info can be found today?
They're still using that patch job from 6 years ago.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #247
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2011
One can only imagine why and what direction EA has for this game now.

He seemed very determined to get the game where we all want it to be... I've got a bad feeling about this... Makes me think they are pushing on the wrong direction.. I don't expect to be playing past m19 if I even go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #248
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
There is a very small detail that leads me to believe it is not though.

Many many years ago while Ian was still there they redesigned the player info card interface, and they made a very dumb mistake -- they forgot to put draft info on it. Ian came out on this forum and said that it simply slipped their mind. He said they were putting it under the awards section in a patch. Mentioned how it wasn't ideal but the best they could do to get the info into the game.

Guess where draft info can be found today?
They're still using that patch job from 6 years ago.
I will defer with this to AJ, he worked there, not me. My muscle memory might be failing me.

This was the post I was referring to on 12/18 from AJ:

I want to address this one, because I was the #2 designer on Franchise Mode for M12 and M13.

MUT did not make this happen. It happened because there was no way to bring the existing franchise mode online, and we were never going to have the resources to do it as two separate modes. We needed 1 unified franchise mode to be used online and offline, and however incomplete M13's CFM was, we did accomplish that.

Yes, MUT had decent size team and maybe some of those heads could have been helpful, but honestly, I'm not sure they would have made a dent. 9 women can't make a baby in 1 month. I'm pretty sure our team was bigger than theirs, and we definitely had more designers/producers.

We knew there was going to be a catchup period. Your impression may well be that M12's franchise mode was a better one, but under the hood it was not. It was a mess of legacy code going back to at least 1999. It was hacked to hell to the point that you couldn't remove anything for fear of destroying some basic system that kept the whole thing up and running.

M13 runs on a unified asset manager that can be easily manipulated by the designers. It has a very powerful test bed. Now, I'm gone now, so I can't say one way or another why it hasn't been used to its potential, but the potential is there. With a reasonable number of resources (most of which were devoted to Longshot this year from what I can tell), a lot could be accomplished.

There's a guy that was in the building when I was there, I wont name him. He was on NCAA, and he did all the rosters, progression, and stats for NCAA. One dude. They need him on Franchise Mode. He is a mathematician, i.e. his degree is in math. I don't know if he'd come at Madden with the same passion because he was a massive CFB fan, but that's the kind of guy that could shore up all the mathematics processes in Madden because of his analytical expertise.

Last edited by roadman; 05-20-2018 at 09:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »