Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #25
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I am leaning towards the glitches in game which happened on live television, as a downfall to some degree. These types of issues cannot happen when the business is attempting to become an esport monster.

Hope animations saw some sort of improvement. Hoping Franchise got some much needed help. It would seem that the top basketball and baseball games have solid Franchise modes, so the mode should still be a focus.

I think ultimately, that the executes may want to push the championships, tournaments and esport games...This means nearly flawless animations and user control in many aspects of the game like pre-snap adjustments.
This is a good point. I saw more videos of online competitive guys walking away from M18 because they were frustrated with certain aspects of the game.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 AM   #26
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

I'll be honest..for as much crap as Rex takes from members of the Twittersphere, he was also one of the most open creative directors we could have asked for. Always went out of his way to try and be honest about what he was trying to achieve with the game even if he was sort of projecting his hopes out sometimes.

I truly believe that Rex had the best interests of sim players at heart while trying to tie in all the needs of the people who just want to play a fun video game. I believe in John White as well as Clint (though Clint can be a little abrasive it seems). I wish Rex the absolute best in his career and with his family. But, I can't help but be a little bit worried about the direction EA's suits want to take with this game if someone like Rex wants out.

Then again, he could just be burnt out from grinding on a yearly release like this for years on end.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 05-03-2018, 12:41 AM   #27
Just started!

OVR: 0

I wonder if his CFM overhaul forced an exit because we all know madden cares about MUT and making $$$. I’m hoping CFM isn’t left in the dust. They need to just look at NBA 2K and The Show to see how a real sports game should be made! I’m tired of madden getting a free pass. It’s improved, but it’s way behind other sport franchise video games imo. Once NFL 2k left, so did the competition. Games need other games to create a better product. Madden can half *** everything cause at the end of the day there is only one NFL game. It’s sad. I sure hope this doesn’t mean backtracking or a one feature new game with a 19 on the cover. Like how NHL did with 17 and then 18. Time will tell.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #28
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87
I'll be honest..for as much crap as Rex takes from members of the Twittersphere, he was also one of the most open creative directors we could have asked for. Always went out of his way to try and be honest about what he was trying to achieve with the game even if he was sort of projecting his hopes out sometimes.

I truly believe that Rex had the best interests of sim players at heart while trying to tie in all the needs of the people who just want to play a fun video game. I believe in John White as well as Clint (though Clint can be a little abrasive it seems). I wish Rex the absolute best in his career and with his family. But, I can't help but be a little bit worried about the direction EA's suits want to take with this game if someone like Rex wants out.

Then again, he could just be burnt out from grinding on a yearly release like this for years on end.

Sorry for another post.. but, think of all the changes to Madden we saw during Rex's tenure:

-Infinity Engine
-New defensive controls
-New catch mechanics
-New ball carrier special moves
-New oline play
-Separate play styles
-Frostbite engine
-Interviews with the franchise community and community influencers every year, multiple times per year

Though this isn't all exclusively Rex, it's important, for me at least, to remember that given his constraints of a yearly title as well as the demands of the suits above, he got a lot accomplished to make Madden a better football game. Go back and watch gameplay of Madden 10 and compare it to 18. Sure, maybe 10 had a better franchise mode. But gameplay wise, 18 looks a lot more like what you see on Sunday football wise.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:53 AM   #29
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Rex is a great guy and a no-nonsense straight-shooter. I thought he did a great job steering the gameplay of Madden in a direction which was a combination of authentic, fun to play, balanced, and hard to master. Seriously, Madden 18 is the most competitive and most fun online head-to-head football game I've ever played and it's really not close.

I wish him the best at whatever is next for him and I hope whoever takes his place can adequately fill his shoes.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 05-03-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #30
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

There's upsides and downsides to the two directions I see EA taking with the next guy.

One direction is a simhead guy who is focused on franchise:

The pros of this is an improved franchise mode.

The cons from some of our perspective might be less of an emphasis on lingering gameplay issues.

The con from EA might be profitability

The other direction is an esports direction like 2k is taking:

Pros for us would probably be really great animation quality and gameplay and minimized glitches as to make the game suitable for tournaments

Cons for us would likely be minimal focus on CFM as it would just be a sideshow to the suits

Now, there is a 3rd direction they could take that scares the heck out of me. Hire a guy who is intent on MUT and card building (like the NHL series is)...The game completely tanks gameplay wise and CFM wise in favor of new gimmick modes like 7 on 7 and the addition of mascots and cheerleaders to the stadiums. I think this direction is the lease likely as all the outcry over "pay to play" had in Battlefront as well as EA suits can see the plummeting sales of the NHL series. Just my two cents.

Hoping for the Sim guy or an esports guy who can give us simheads a great silver lining

Old 05-03-2018, 01:24 AM   #31
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Obviously this isnt a normal time for employment to be terminated, so its either he's dealing with a SERIOUS personal issue, or EA forced him out. For all the twitter flak he got, I think Rex was really one of the guys that wanted to get Madden more franchise-oriented again.

Bottom line, I dont think this new change in command coming will work out well for the sim community.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2018, 02:04 AM   #32
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Any23Time
The wording of the letter seems to lean towards a situations where the executives wanted to fire him, but gave him a chance to resign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
Obviously this isnt a normal time for employment to be terminated, so its either he's dealing with a SERIOUS personal issue, or EA forced him out.
Honestly? He probably just burnt out. He's been working in AAA video games for over a decade, and the AAA video game industry is an absolute meat grinder. It wouldn't surprise me if he just wanted a change of scenery, to have more time with his family, an opportunity for career growth beyond what Tiburon could offer him, and/or a more sane work-life balance.

Anyway, according to his LinkedIn he's already got a new position at a mobile game studio in Colorado, so whatever the reason he left, he's already landed on his feet. People are way too quick to speculate that something bad happened.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »