Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #41
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

I liked Rex but this franchise needs a major shakeup in my opinion. Very intrigued to see if this will take the game in a new direction. Probably not this years game but future versions.

Sent from my HTC Desire 625 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 0

My personnel feeling on this is it could mean a lot of different things, but most aren't good. I think everyone who believes it's a good thing will find out quickly (probably a cycle) that it wasn't a dev team issue, more so a company directive above the dev team. Rex commented a couple times to "keep up the fight" to developers left behind and I don't think that is coincidence. I believe Rex truly went to battle with his bosses every day to try and provide a football game he wanted to play, but EA is a business and their financials paint a pretty telling picture of what "pays the bills".

In my interactions with him, Rex was a good guy who loved the game. He wanted it to be more immersive and he wanted franchise to get more love. He commented plenty of times that he'd love to just fix all the legacy issues but that is a tough sell to marketing and his bosses. In the end I think he did the best he could with the cards he was dealt. I wonder how much of his departure was related to some sort of frustration about not being able to create his true vision for the game?

This now brings us to the question, where do we go from here? Honestly, I am not sure but I think his replacement will be really telling into what EA wants Madden to be. A promotion from within probably signals a similar course, obviously with the new head shifting it slightly to make it their own. If the replacement comes from out of house then the background of previous stops could really clue us in to where we are going.

I think the timing was right as far as what point in the cycle was best. Had he waited to release then that would put someone new in the captains seat to handle any sort of launch issues (which every game has). If he did it after the launch then it would be too close to the big picture meetings for the next cycle determining direction. Doing it now allowed him to lock in M19 to a direction and let someone else finish it off.

Last part of my rambling post, I truly wonder if people will look back and miss what Rex brought when it's all said and done? Rex's desire to interact with the community and own the game was commendable. He pushed his developers to put themselves out too, something they didn't need to do. He took the heat and owned mistakes (target passing) and in the end was exactly what people want in a game developer today; he was accessible.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #43
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2

Rex is going to 2kSports to jump start 2k football, calm down guys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49UNCFan
Rex is going to 2kSports to jump start 2k football, calm down guys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
He is going to Backflip studios, a mobile gaming company.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #45
Rookie

packers96's Arena

It's great to start the day by reading such news. I now expect EA to hire someone who has a better understanding of professional football and knows how to deal with criticism. I would like to leave a tip for you Rex, next time don't dare to scream in front of an NFL QB, stop being so arrogant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #46
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I live in Florida..I have vacationed and visited friends in Colorado..I would take Colorado over Florida too.

As for timing: I think it is really good timing. And could be a mutual agreement. I know, as mentioned here, he talked of keeping up the good fight. I gave witnessed tweets where he said, and I paraphrase: some would rather I spend less time speaking with the community.

Since it is public territory - REx commented on Ryan Moody's twitter page stating that, now he could RT (re-tweet) more of his videos. <- that suggests potential problems with where to focus resources. I believe Rex wanted to fix the game play a lot more.

I also worry we may see continued wonky animations. (hoping its not so).. I believe the controllers of the game's direction feel they have a solid MUT system and tournament and championship system in place, and now want to expand Longshot to attract the consumers who are not hardcore football fans and football game players. My opinion is that unless Longshot takes on the scope of a mode like Road to the Show, they will be missing the attractiveness they may be seeking.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 05-03-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 1

to quote Robert Strange McNamara "Let me consult my memory"

Good luck to him, not a massive admirer, but between the suits and the different groups of fans he was always going to be hitting his head against a wall.

Not everything he did was good, nor was it bad. The number of times a patch was put in that screwed something unconnected up is where my issue is with his tenure. QC was pants. Classic for me is coach mode, should be copy/paste voila. However in 18 you have to keep pressing a button or you are playing with 10 men. Not exactly an ideal example.

To go before E3 worries me, that we will get nothing but rehashed 18 in 19, with words "like the team weren't able due to Rex's departure" etc. etc.

with the issues with MUT packs emerging in the EU, i can see madden coins being purchased to buy packs etc. for MUT and that solves that problem and i think fixing that will be #1. if we are unlucky a suit likes longshot and wants round 2 of that
Old 05-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #48
Rookie

The Gunslinger's Arena

OVR: 9

Wasnít Rex a big proponent of overhauling the franchise mode, a move that was ultimately postponed for Madden 18? Iím hoping this doesnít mean we donít see that overhaul soon. Franchise mode hasnít been on par with NBA 2k and MLB the Show for quite some time and although there has been a lot of feedback about this, Iím afraid EA is going to continue trying to keep reforming Madden into a MUT and Esports game

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »