Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #49
MVP

pimpycraig's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Honestly? He probably just burnt out. He's been working in AAA video games for over a decade, and the AAA video game industry is an absolute meat grinder. It wouldn't surprise me if he just wanted a change of scenery, to have more time with his family, an opportunity for career growth beyond what Tiburon could offer him, and/or a more sane work-life balance.

Anyway, according to his LinkedIn he's already got a new position at a mobile game studio in Colorado, so whatever the reason he left, he's already landed on his feet. People are way too quick to speculate that something bad happened.
I completely disagree. This is like a player retiring or being cut in November, 3/4 through the season. This isn't normal, the norm would be for him to leave at the end of the Dev cycle, I would think.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #50
Rookie

packers96's Arena

OVR: 0

Unfortunately I do not believe we'll have a better game already for this year just because of Dickson's dismissal. Significant improvements maybe just in Madden 20. I believe we will still have a game based on the same molds left by Rex Dickson. Just to not be unfair to this poor guy, he's not the only one who should get fired.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #51
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
I completely disagree. This is like a player retiring or being cut in November, 3/4 through the season. This isn't normal, the norm would be for him to leave at the end of the Dev cycle, I would think.
The dev cycle no longer ends, this is closer to "the end" than when the game launches. At launch there are roll out issues and patches that have to be addressed and throwing someone new in at that point would be difficult to get going. If they wait until after the initial roll out then you are already into the design phase for the next game with little time to develop a road map for it. The timing here is truly the best time for this even though it may seem odd to some.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #52
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Did Rex get fired?

I thought his announcement said it was a personal private decision and he is already working in Colorado???

Anyway, first Ian and now Rex.

I think it's pretty telling who is running the show and I don't feel that pattern will end in the future.

Rex's Twitter account was pretty quiet over the last few months and now we know why.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 2

I feel like there must have been ongoing conflict between Rex and EA's view of the future of Madden. I remember there being a few reports that he wasn't the biggest fan of LongShot.

My concern is that we will now see increased focus on the competitive crowd with further implementation of LongShot to keep the casual everyday fans buying the game. I also think we will definitely see micro transactions added to franchise mode in some way or another.

I always welcome change and am interested in seeing the "new direction" that Rex alluded to, however I have fears that EA's intended direction won't exactly be sim friendly
Old 05-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #54
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
Donít know if you married and have kids, but a demanding career/job where the work makes them secondary, speeds the burnout process up 10x.

Hopefully this new job allows him the ability to spend more time with his family
Old 05-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #55
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Did Rex get fired?

I thought his announcement said it was a personal private decision and he is already working in Colorado???

I think it's pretty telling who is running the show and I don't feel that pattern will end in the future.

Rex's Twitter account was pretty quiet over the last few months and now we know why.
As to my last post.

Your family is impacted by the career journey/demands also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #56
Rookie

packers96's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Did Rex get fired?

Usually when an employee is fired, he comes to the public and says it was a private decision and that this was discussed with his family. Same old talk.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »