Home

Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

This is a discussion on Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #137
MVP
 
Unlucky 13's Arena
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Virginia
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

I have zero interest in any online mode, and I never will. I've been playing Madden and other franchise mode offline games for more than 25 years, and its what I always will want.

Madden can be whatever they want it to be, I don't care. But if they don't want to make a good offline franchise game or focus on that, then they need to let someone else try to fill that void in the marketplace.
__________________
Anyone who claims to be a fan of two teams in the same pro sport is actually a fan of none.
Unlucky 13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #138
Rookie
 
JayhawkerStL's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,492
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Can't really use Head Coach sales. HC did not have user controlled games. You only called plays. To compare HC sales to Madden sales, HC would need to have had user controlled gameplay.
I think the confusion, for some of us, is that when I was playing FBPro97 and 98, there was a clear delineation between sim, calling plays and letting the sim engine report and display the results, either as text or animated, and arcade, games in which users used controllers to override the ratings.

It wasn't until FBPro 99 released in such bad shape that it had to be recalled, effectively tanking the entire Front Page Sports division for Sierra the sim sports was dead. Many of us then turned to NFL 2K and Madden to get our fix, understanding that we were no longer playing sims. Head Coach, to us, was a return to sim gaming. Not because it was more accurate, but because it eliminated the arcade aspect of using controllers.

So it's weird to see sim gamers consider HC half a product, when many saw it as a return to form. But sim stopped selling, and that game never made it, which is not surprising, since Sierra had already seen the writing on the wall.

Now, after I had taken years to get over the fact that sim gaming was dead, it's always awkward to see how many gamers currently playing what was always considered the arcade version of sports, action games using controllers, now thinking that there is some sort of history of sim gaming on consoles, which never existed for fans who actually played sim sports titles.

So for many of us, seeing people claim that Head Coach failed because it didn't let you use controllers is a conceit that sim gaming is dead. I'll always feel uncomfortable with the notion that Madden was ever a sim. If anything, Madden and the consoles helped kill sim gaming.
__________________
XBL: JayhawkerStL

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies
JayhawkerStL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #139
Banned
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncereBlackout
Intent wasn’t to compare HC to madden apples to apples.

Intent was to suggest that if ‘every’ hardcore madden CFM’er purchased HC that would be 400k of 5.5million or 4.5 million at the time HC was released.

That’s not to say there aren’t some sim CFM people who have 0 desire to select plays and watch, but only that the depth that HC had which is unparalleled in any Madden was only if interest to 400k. Tops. That for all the other features HC had that neither madden or ncaa had, only 400k. For the people in the ‘middle’ gameplay was more of a sell than the team management features.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You still can't compare the sales numbers because HC did lack something so important, user controlling players. You can't say that only 400k hardcore CFM'er would have bought HC if you could also play the games.
bucky60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #140
Banned
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
It wasn't until FBPro 99 released in such bad shape that it had to be recalled, effectively tanking the entire Front Page Sports division for Sierra the sim sports was dead. Many of us then turned to NFL 2K and Madden to get our fix, understanding that we were no longer playing sims. Head Coach, to us, was a return to sim gaming. Not because it was more accurate, but because it eliminated the arcade aspect of using controllers..

FPS FBPro 99 didn't die because customers didn't want a realistic experience, it died because the game was full of bugs and unplayable.






Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
So it's weird to see sim gamers consider HC half a product, when many saw it as a return to form. But sim stopped selling, and that game never made it, which is not surprising, since Sierra had already seen the writing on the wall.

Now, after I had taken years to get over the fact that sim gaming was dead, it's always awkward to see how many gamers currently playing what was always considered the arcade version of sports, action games using controllers, now thinking that there is some sort of history of sim gaming on consoles, which never existed for fans who actually played sim sports titles.

So for many of us, seeing people claim that Head Coach failed because it didn't let you use controllers is a conceit that sim gaming is dead. I'll always feel uncomfortable with the notion that Madden was ever a sim. If anything, Madden and the consoles helped kill sim gaming.

User control doesn't make a game unrealistic (unsim). Keeping a user controlled player within the realm of realism would still keep the game sim. User control doesn't make a game arcade. The game allowing the user to make unrealistic movements would make a game arcade. The only rating that would/should be overwritten in a user controlled player would be decision making or awareness ratings. Most everything else could be limited by the ratings.
bucky60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #141
Pro
 
michapop9's Arena
 
OVR: 9
Join Date: Feb 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
FPS FBPro 99 didn't die because customers didn't want a realistic experience, it died because the game was full of bugs and unplayable.









User control doesn't make a game unrealistic (unsim). Keeping a user controlled player within the realm of realism would still keep the game sim. User control doesn't make a game arcade. The game allowing the user to make unrealistic movements would make a game arcade. The only rating that would/should be overwritten in a user controlled player would be decision making or awareness ratings. Most everything else could be limited by the ratings.
Actually decision making could be limited by the user, especially at qb, it was called the vision cone (i know this has been discussed to death, sorry). There were two large groups, one who hated it and one who loved it. So what does ea do? Get rid of it altogether, ea has a very creative way of dealing with things obviously.
michapop9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #142
Banned
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
Actually decision making could be limited by the user, especially at qb, it was called the vision cone (i know this has been discussed to death, sorry). There were two large groups, one who hated it and one who loved it. So what does ea do? Get rid of it altogether, ea has a very creative way of dealing with things obviously.

Yeah, their are ways to limit awareness. Plays available in the playbook, vision cone for the QB. The other positions, in a game that restricts things to realistic, the ratings one could exploit would be decision making/awareness ratings. There is so much Madden could do to limit things to realistic (like some other team oriented sports games do much better than Madden). They just choose not to.
bucky60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #143
10/22/21
 
jfsolo's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 12,374
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
Actually decision making could be limited by the user, especially at qb, it was called the vision cone (i know this has been discussed to death, sorry). There were two large groups, one who hated it and one who loved it. So what does ea do? Get rid of it altogether, ea has a very creative way of dealing with things obviously.
Sorry, there wasn't a large group of people who loved vision cone. It was overwhelmingly reviled by the Madden player base and that is why it was canned. The people who loved it were/are a passionate, vocal, very, very small minority.
__________________
Quote:
Jordan Mychal Lemos
@crypticjordan

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
jfsolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #144
Pro
 
michapop9's Arena
 
OVR: 9
Join Date: Feb 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Sorry, there wasn't a large group of people who loved vision cone. It was overwhelmingly reviled by the Madden player base and that is why it was canned. The people who loved it were/are a passionate, vocal, very, very small minority.
Really all we both have to go off of is voices in a forum either for or against the vision cone over the years. For you to say it was a very very small minority doesnt hold any water, there was no metric or telemetry in madden in 06 to give enough data to say that the vast majority of people hated it. Don't even think it was around in 08 in Madden. You just have no more evidence to go off than I did and thats not what I see/saw.
michapop9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Top -