Home

Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

This is a discussion on Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypowers88
Yes, the kick back involving in game gambling systems is really starting to take off. Whether or not this qualifies would be up to the courts, but based on legal decisions being made around the world right now, I could definitely see it.

If you're interested, look up the recent case involving Overwatch loot boxes in the Netherlands, or even China. Those lootboxes only offer randomized cosmetic items. Now, they're forced to sell items individually. If that's considered gambling, this entire MUT system has to be, no?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app
It's definitely an interesting situation which I look forward to watching as it plays out. The system that Madden uses is a copy of what happens when a person purchases any pack of sports cards, IRL. The consumer is buying in hopes of receiving specific cards. Maybe some people just collect cards with no real expectations, but that is irrelevant in this case. It's about the gambling.

Since the potential gambling involved in real life sports cards is acceptable and supported by sports organizations, as well as society, I wonder how it would affect sports games and their player packs? Would a ruling against Madden and other sports card game modes create a problem for companies selling the real player cards? If so, would a judge rule in favor of the cards? Could a judge rule in favor of the cards?

I am no lawyer. Will be interesting.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 05-06-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
MUT wouldn't be bad if the matchmaking was fair. When you can be a low overall team and get matched against a stacked 99 team, you're screwed. If there wasn't any OP formations and plays, it wouldn't be that bad either. Fix the gameplay so it takes actual strategy and things would be a lot better.
They do. It's called Salary Cap Mode, and it is what the Madden Championships use.

I can tell you one thing, from reading this thread, the people that hate MUT also really have no clue what it is, which explains why they can't understand its popularity. I mean, if they did understand it, and understood its popularity, they may still not have any desire to play. but maybe we would not have so many propaganda threads designed to make people hate UT modes with false information.

I mean, look at all the love games like Skylanders and other toy-based games got, which are essentially built on the same premise. UT just skips the plastic toys and sells packs instead. And they use the competitive nature of the game to help drive it as an eSport.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice

If EA wants to keep franchise mode alive, it really should be built as a stand-alone game using a similar platform that Head Coach did.
You really don't want that. The problem is right there in your post. How long did Head Coach last? Split Franchise off from the game, and Madden will just be pure MUT and franchise mode will be gone forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
It's definitely an interesting situation which I look forward to watching as it plays out. The system that Madden uses is a copy of what happens when a person purchases any pack of sports cards, IRL. The consumer is buying in hopes of receiving specific cards. Maybe some people just collect cards with no real expectations, but that is irrelevant in this case. It's about the gambling.

Since the potential gambling involved in real life sports cards is acceptable and supported by sports organizations, as well as society, I wonder how it would affect sports games and their player packs? Would a ruling against Madden and other sports card game modes create a problem for companies selling the real player cards? If so, would a judge rule in favor of the cards? Could a judge rule in favor of the cards?

I am no lawyer. Will be interesting.
Does that been bubblegum machines are gambling? I cannot stand orange flavored gum, so I am "gambling" when I put my quarter in. Was I gambling when I bought baseball cards as a kid? Crackerjacks? PS+ and XBL Gold are surely gambling, because who knows what games you getting each month, right?

And if MUT is gambling, they are doing a crap job of it. The slots in Vegas do a much better job of giving you a big win just often enough to keep you playing. The mega cards are so rare, most people never see them. You don't get there by buying packs, but by earning gold to buy them from others. I examine the different options of how to trade in or sell cards and try to maximize my coins. I have never opened a pack hoping this was my chance at a 97 OVR player.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #13

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
They do. It's called Salary Cap Mode, and it is what the Madden Championships use.

I can tell you one thing, from reading this thread, the people that hate MUT also really have no clue what it is, which explains why they can't understand its popularity. I mean, if they did understand it, and understood its popularity, they may still not have any desire to play. but maybe we would not have so many propaganda threads designed to make people hate UT modes with false information.

I mean, look at all the love games like Skylanders and other toy-based games got, which are essentially built on the same premise. UT just skips the plastic toys and sells packs instead. And they use the competitive nature of the game to help drive it as an eSport.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by propaganda threads so if my below assumption is wrong you can disregard this post.

Most of the threads or posts I've seen against MUT insinuate that too much time is spent developing that mode versus franchise, gameplay or other areas.

Under that assumption, how would it eliminate threads or posts regarding that if folks understood MUT to the degree you deem necessary and still chose not to play it.

Do their opinions now become more valid that too much time is spent on MUT? Or do you feel if they understand it more but still chose not to play it they would at least understand why more time is spent developing. That part I would disagree with strongly.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis

Most of the threads or posts I've seen against MUT insinuate that too much time is spent developing that mode versus franchise, gameplay or other areas.
That's true in a sense. But to support that argument, they have to explain why it is not deserving that time. That's when they launch into accusations that aren't true.

Quote:
Under that assumption, how would it eliminate threads or posts regarding that if folks understood MUT to the degree you deem necessary and still chose not to play it.

Do their opinions now become more valid that too much time is spent on MUT? Or do you feel if they understand it more but still chose not to play it they would at least understand why more time is spent developing. That part I would disagree with strongly.
It's propaganda because it is repeatedly the same falsehoods that are spread to to make people who have never touched the mode, not only avoid it, but to add their voice the false claims about. This is not just mischaracterizing what is involved in in playing, but it also bashes the type of people that would play such a game.

What I think is they might stop doing is demonizing the MUT fan base. The only way in which these threads work is if it can become okay to deprive others of a game they like, because you feel you are a more worthy customer to be catered to.

No one in the MUT community wants franchise taken out of the game. Most MUT guys also play some franchise, as well as MUT. I want a better online league functionality, one that doesn't require 30 team leagues with the CPU controlling the vast majority of the teams.

If I could make one change to MUT, it would be to change it from a pack experience to a monthly subscription experience. The mode is good enough thatI would pay to play it each month because it is the only online sports mode that actually feels fair and engaging.

Everybody knows that playing online was annoying because so many folks would just take the best teams, and there were not fair match-ups. With this, we have the power to construct a team to our liking. We are playing heads up with others doing the same. It is a million times more engaging that rolling with whatever rosters get shipped. And it is played 100% on my own schedule.

And since Salary Cap was introduced, it has become darn near perfect. No one is rolling out 99 OVR teams. Everyone is in the mid 80's right now. Because a roster has to be constructed by choosing where to place the talent, and just how much you can sacrifice in some areas.

It's a great mode, and that the fact that it drives so much revenue is proof that it is fun to play. Sports games were always best when played head to head, because AI has never really been worthy, even in the very best examples of AAA sports games, or even their text sim variations. Ultimate Team has reduced that mode as something that draws gamers in.

So, sure, let's have another thread where people speculate that evil Ultimate Team will be ruled illegal and banned, protecting us idiots that not only cannot protect ourselves, but really aren't real sports fans anyway.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #15

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
That's true in a sense. But to support that argument, they have to explain why it is not deserving that time. That's when they launch into accusations that aren't true.

It's propaganda because it is repeatedly the same falsehoods that are spread to to make people who have never touched the mode, not only avoid it, but to add their voice the false claims about. This is not just mischaracterizing what is involved in in playing, but it also bashes the type of people that would play such a game.

What I think is they might stop doing is demonizing the MUT fan base. The only way in which these threads work is if it can become okay to deprive others of a game they like, because you feel you are a more worthy customer to be catered to.

No one in the MUT community wants franchise taken out of the game. Most MUT guys also play some franchise, as well as MUT. I want a better online league functionality, one that doesn't require 30 team leagues with the CPU controlling the vast majority of the teams.

If I could make one change to MUT, it would be to change it from a pack experience to a monthly subscription experience. The mode is good enough thatI would pay to play it each month because it is the only online sports mode that actually feels fair and engaging.

Everybody knows that playing online was annoying because so many folks would just take the best teams, and there were not fair match-ups. With this, we have the power to construct a team to our liking. We are playing heads up with others doing the same. It is a million times more engaging that rolling with whatever rosters get shipped. And it is played 100% on my own schedule.

And since Salary Cap was introduced, it has become darn near perfect. No one is rolling out 99 OVR teams. Everyone is in the mid 80's right now. Because a roster has to be constructed by choosing where to place the talent, and just how much you can sacrifice in some areas.

It's a great mode, and that the fact that it drives so much revenue is proof that it is fun to play. Sports games were always best when played head to head, because AI has never really been worthy, even in the very best examples of AAA sports games, or even their text sim variations. Ultimate Team has reduced that mode as something that draws gamers in.

So, sure, let's have another thread where people speculate that evil Ultimate Team will be ruled illegal and banned, protecting us idiots that not only cannot protect ourselves, but really aren't real sports fans anyway.
I mean, nice post and all and not anything I disagree with but it didn't even come close to addressing the question I asked.

Use me as an example. I've read up on MUT. I watched Mill's streams, I understand it and I get it's appeal. It does not in any way appeal to me.

Your post, the one I responded to, insinuated that if people understood it, there would be less posts about the use of dev time as it related to MUT versus franchise. I'm someone who falls in the camp that I strongly believe more time should be spent in franchise than it currently is.

My understanding of how MUT works and what it is doesn't change my opinion.

I don't agree at all and asked you about that and all you did was write a bunch of paragraphs about how good MUT is and how underappreciated it is. All fair and fine points but you are doing essentially the same thing that you have a problem with others who make "propaganda" posts.

It seems as if when someone makes a post you don't agree with, it's propaganda, but when you do the same thing, it's just the truth.

And that's perfectly okay, just understand how it appears to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #16
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
You really don't want that. The problem is right there in your post. How long did Head Coach last? Split Franchise off from the game, and Madden will just be pure MUT and franchise mode will be gone forever.
You mention people not having a clue what MUT actually is but I've seen you use this example a couple times and I have to wonder if you actually know exactly what Head Coach was. While Head Coach was, in fact, a franchise game, it was also devoid of any actual gameplay which by default makes it a non-starter for a huge portion of users. How many people would continue to play and dump money into MUT or buy a standalone MUT title where gameplay was removed in favor of only being able to spectate H2H games, challenges, etc.? I'm guessing not too many.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »