Home

Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

This is a discussion on Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #25
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Good time to invest. People need to understand that a company is there to make money. Revenue and investors assist in the ongoing operation and expansion of the product(s).

There is uncertainty about the card system as a form of gambling, correct? That can cause concern for investors which could hurt their share value. Investing can be very unpredictable, but when there are indicators of risk floating around, the investors tend to be cautious.

EA's game volume this year will still boost share value. How much is the question.
CD Projekt Red is there to make money. That didn't stop them from making a masterpiece, despite having people leave when they were told the standard they were going for was too high for their own tastes. Read this response to Glassdoor comments of people who left:

SOME managers and brass in charge of studios/developers are willing to put in the hard work and effort to make a great game (and force their employees to as well). SOME, who are ALSO there to make money, do not mind tearing down something and rebuilding it to make it better. That angered some employees who left, so much so that they posted badly on glass door.

And you know what? The Witcher 3 is an absolute MASTERPIECE. So GOOD JOB CD Projekt Red on not taking the easy way out.

Bottom line: making money and striving to make a quality game that isn't just about money is not a mutually exclusive proposition.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #26
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
MUT wouldn't be bad if the matchmaking was fair. When you can be a low overall team and get matched against a stacked 99 team, you're screwed. If there wasn't any OP formations and plays, it wouldn't be that bad either. Fix the gameplay so it takes actual strategy and things would be a lot better.
Disagree, but then I think the entire idea is stupid, and that is nothing but a personal opinion, so don't take it personally.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
You really don't want that. The problem is right there in your post. How long did Head Coach last? Split Franchise off from the game, and Madden will just be pure MUT and franchise mode will be gone forever.
Head Coach didn't allow you to actually play the game though. All you did was manage the team and call plays. False equivalence fallacy.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:07 AM   #28
MVP

Quote:
[...]

No one in the MUT community wants franchise taken out of the game. Most MUT guys also play some franchise, as well as MUT. I want a better online league functionality, one that doesn't require 30 team leagues with the CPU controlling the vast majority of the teams.
[...]
You see, that's the problem. MUT is a cash cow. Franchise is not. You likely will not have equal resources devoted to both unless Franchise is shown to make more money. Does it? I don't know. But I know MUT does.

If Franchise was the money maker, what do you think would happen to MUT? It would stagnate, and then MUTheads would lament that Franchise is taking away all the limited time for development.

And before someone says they're entirely different things, in reality the same type of people who work on tweaking MUT would probably be doing the same for Franchise. We're not talking about game play coders or animators or graphic artists.

This, of course, is why I wish EA would find a way to monetize realistic Franchise. "Pay $5 to unlock assistant coaches? 3$ to unlock schedule control (so the 49ers aren't playing the Rams in the preseason every year)? $4 to unlock choosing the Super Bowl venue each season? $5 for predraft rookie editing?" Not gonna happen. But I would pay for each and every one.

It's sad, but it is what it is.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:19 AM   #29
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I have played MUT, I understand the mechanics just fine and honestly, I can't stand it. The primary challenge of the solos is to see how long you can tolerate watching the loading screens between "challenges" (score a TD in 3 plays on rookie mode....phew...that was hard) before you give up and buy packs. Everything else is geared around either playing the online cheesers or upgrading your team/cards.

At least Diamond Dynasty (which I enjoy) has Conquest mode (which can be fun if you don't just waltz through games on rookie), long-term programs which give you goals to shoot for and an actual team collection aspect. Yes, the mode has its issues....but it does a better job of providing a diverse set of tasks to go for.

Obviously, tons of people love MUT...and more power to them. But for those who want to insinuate that the only "MUT haters" are people who have not played it...well, sorry, not the case.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:24 AM   #30
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
This, of course, is why I wish EA would find a way to monetize realistic Franchise. "Pay $5 to unlock assistant coaches? 3$ to unlock schedule control (so the 49ers aren't playing the Rams in the preseason every year)? $4 to unlock choosing the Super Bowl venue each season? $5 for predraft rookie editing?" Not gonna happen. But I would pay for each and every one.

It's sad, but it is what it is.
I get your point...but to hide the finished mode behind a paywall is not smart either. It would be like asking MUT guys to have to pay $5 to play an online game.

Now, if it were things like purchasing more expansion team options, more uniform slots, optional "boosts" like buying XP boosts or weekly team boosts, sure. When NCAA 14 came out with the uniform packs, I bought every single one of them. They also had dynasty mode "boosters"...which I personally didn't buy but I am sure others did.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:19 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 1

The problem I have with MUT is contracts. Cards should be absolutely limited to their 10 uses or however many and then only be useful for collections. If they did that they could actually put decent cards in coin-buyable packs, unlike now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2018, 01:47 AM   #32
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
That's true in a sense. But to support that argument, they have to explain why it is not deserving that time. That's when they launch into accusations that aren't true.

It's propaganda because it is repeatedly the same falsehoods that are spread to to make people who have never touched the mode, not only avoid it, but to add their voice the false claims about. This is not just mischaracterizing what is involved in in playing, but it also bashes the type of people that would play such a game.

What I think is they might stop doing is demonizing the MUT fan base. The only way in which these threads work is if it can become okay to deprive others of a game they like, because you feel you are a more worthy customer to be catered to.

No one in the MUT community wants franchise taken out of the game. Most MUT guys also play some franchise, as well as MUT. I want a better online league functionality, one that doesn't require 30 team leagues with the CPU controlling the vast majority of the teams.

If I could make one change to MUT, it would be to change it from a pack experience to a monthly subscription experience. The mode is good enough thatI would pay to play it each month because it is the only online sports mode that actually feels fair and engaging.

Everybody knows that playing online was annoying because so many folks would just take the best teams, and there were not fair match-ups. With this, we have the power to construct a team to our liking. We are playing heads up with others doing the same. It is a million times more engaging that rolling with whatever rosters get shipped. And it is played 100% on my own schedule.

And since Salary Cap was introduced, it has become darn near perfect. No one is rolling out 99 OVR teams. Everyone is in the mid 80's right now. Because a roster has to be constructed by choosing where to place the talent, and just how much you can sacrifice in some areas.

It's a great mode, and that the fact that it drives so much revenue is proof that it is fun to play. Sports games were always best when played head to head, because AI has never really been worthy, even in the very best examples of AAA sports games, or even their text sim variations. Ultimate Team has reduced that mode as something that draws gamers in.

So, sure, let's have another thread where people speculate that evil Ultimate Team will be ruled illegal and banned, protecting us idiots that not only cannot protect ourselves, but really aren't real sports fans anyway.
As someone who is generally frustrated by all the resources poured into MUT (I've tried it and never gotten massively into it. I'm about as much of a franchise simulation purist vs the CPU you will ever find)...I think this is probably the most fair explanation I've seen about why MUT, especially capped MUT, is intriguing to their base of players. I didn't realize how much of a draw simply having control over who is on your head to head team is in making the mode attractive, rather than just the card building itself.

But, that logic in mind, wouldn't a good compromise in joining the communities be to create some sort of leaderboard points system for success in a franchise and have it synced online based on difficulty multipliers (based on team used, difficulty levels, years into franchise mode, games played, drafted talent vs acquired talent, etc.) and then also allow you to take the franchise team you built into head to head mode online to compete up your leaderboard?

It combines the logic of MUT, while allowing franchise to gain some resource investment. I'm trying to think of how EA would try to get this new type of mish-mash mode into a profitable idea though. If anyone can think of that, let me know. Maybe microtransactions for advanced scouting reports on draft prospects or opponents in franchise mode? I'd be willing to deal with having that optional functionality built into the mode to bring in the MUT base if it meant Franchise Mode would get the investments the die-hard sim guys crave.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »