Home

Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

This is a discussion on Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #49
MVP
 
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Dec 2009
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Hasn't this whole post been proven untrue? Everything that even the Madden team themselves have stated is that Franchise is BY FAR the most popular game mode.

The difference is they can't monetize Franchise.
You'll note that Rex, who said "we owe you" to Franchise players, has now resigned.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I am going to create a team called "the gay town butt pirates" and hurt your already diminishing image
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #50
MVP
 
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Dec 2009
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
You won't like hearing this, but you're operating the assumption that MUT = poor quality. The guys who enjoy MUT and have seen its progression over the past several titles--and there are way, WAY more of them than there are of you--would likely dispute this assumption.

If I'm an exec at EA and you simply asked me: would I prefer a game that more people enjoy? Or a game that fewer people enjoy?

I know how I'd answer in this hypothetical world. So you can use "optimizing for revenue" to mean "ignoring quality" if you like. But it's not based in reality.

Even this indy game your brother works for who is apparently doing everything the right way... let's see how that game actually turns out and how many people actually enjoy playing it before we hold it up as the beacon of all that is right with game development.


No, the issue here--as it often is when this topic rears its head--is that what you want isn't the same as what many, many more people want. And you want a AAA game dedicated to your niche desires when the masses have spoken and want something different. (And fwiw, I want what you want. But I'm not going to pretend that anything different than what I want makes it "low quality.")
My personal connection to the industry through my brother is just one example, and only posted because I know some copious details about it.

That doesn't explain CDProjekt Red, another billion dollar company, whose leaders pissed off employees due to their high standards and as a result got slammed on Glassdoor after they left.


EA is a MULTI-BILLION dollar company, as you and others have pointed out. That means they have the resources to cater equally to both fan bases. They choose not to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I am going to create a team called "the gay town butt pirates" and hurt your already diminishing image
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:03 AM   #51
MVP
 
scitychamps87's Arena
 
OVR: 3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
You'll note that Rex, who said "we owe you" to Franchise players, has now resigned.
This is my biggest fear surrounding Madden 19...Was what we were "owed" axed in favor of Longshot 2.0?

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
__________________
PITTSBURGH PROUD
--6 Time Super Bowl Champions--
--5 Time World Series Champions--
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
scitychamps87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2018, 03:23 AM   #52
MVP
 
Americas Team's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: ATL
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

With all the money they are making off MUT you would think they would use some of it to overhaul animations and player movement, overhaul the AI, add mouth pieces, redo player models, add dynamic weather, and add more camera angles. Their is a lot of stuff that can be improved on field that doesnt threaten to take attention away from their precious MUT mode.
__________________
Xbox Series X: KILLMUNGER

Last edited by Americas Team; 05-08-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Americas Team is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:34 AM   #53
Underdog
 
CM Hooe's Arena
 
OVR: 45
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 19,575
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
The difference is they can't monetize Franchise.
They don't need to monetize it. It's a retention-focused game mode which feeds into MUT already.

As long as users are playing franchise games in Madden - which there are many, 20 a season or thereabouts - EA's servers can feed users playing franchise games Ultimate Team advertisements. Those MUT ads are splatted squarely in users faces whenever they boot up and in between-games loading screens. I'm sure you've seen them plenty of times if you've played any of the past three Madden games. In addition, the MUT tile is prominently featured in the front-end menu and users will see it any time they wish to return to their franchise. That's not an accident.

Between the already retentive nature of franchise (most users will not complete a full season in a single Madden session), the loyalty of the franchise fanbase (there's a lot of people who play franchise in Madden), and those ads and menu designs: if even 1% of franchise players see a MUT ad and get inspired to go deep enough into MUT to buy a pack with real money, that's worth it for Tiburon. That's a converted user.

That said, EA needs to give those loyal franchise players a reason to keep playing, and sabotaging those players' favorite mode will only make them drop out of the game outright. To that end, franchise mode ain't going anywhere, it isn't going to fall off the development radar, and it remains important to the monetization strategy of the game even without micro-transactions.
__________________
Christopher Hooe
CM Hooe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #54
MVP
 
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Dec 2009
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
They don't need to monetize it. It's a retention-focused game mode which feeds into MUT already.

As long as users are playing franchise games in Madden - which there are many, 20 a season or thereabouts - EA's servers can feed users playing franchise games Ultimate Team advertisements. Those MUT ads are splatted squarely in users faces whenever they boot up and in between-games loading screens. I'm sure you've seen them plenty of times if you've played any of the past three Madden games. In addition, the MUT tile is prominently featured in the front-end menu and users will see it any time they wish to return to their franchise. That's not an accident.

Between the already retentive nature of franchise (most users will not complete a full season in a single Madden session), the loyalty of the franchise fanbase (there's a lot of people who play franchise in Madden), and those ads and menu designs: if even 1% of franchise players see a MUT ad and get inspired to go deep enough into MUT to buy a pack with real money, that's worth it for Tiburon. That's a converted user.

That said, EA needs to give those loyal franchise players a reason to keep playing, and sabotaging those players' favorite mode will only make them drop out of the game outright. To that end, franchise mode ain't going anywhere, it isn't going to fall off the development radar, and it remains important to the monetization strategy of the game even without micro-transactions.
While on one hand you're right, on the other you're missing a key component: they only have to make Franchise functional. They don't have to make it something truly special. Why? The NFL License. So they keep their farm of potential MUT suckers, without having to blow the socks off of the fish in that farm with Franchise Mode, because the NFL already does that for them.

It's a sad reality.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I am going to create a team called "the gay town butt pirates" and hurt your already diminishing image
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #55
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,736
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

If an employee leaves a company, Glassdoor or backdoor, usually the rhetoric is of a negative nature.

That is why you take the rantings and ravings of a former employee with a grain of salt. There are exceptions to that as well.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #56
MVP
 
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Dec 2009
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
If an employee leaves a company, Glassdoor or backdoor, usually the rhetoric is of a negative nature.

That is why you take the rantings and ravings of a former employee with a grain of salt. There are exceptions to that as well.
That's very true, but CDProjekt Red actually took the time to release an official response to it, so I figure it's a special case. And if you read the complaints, a lot of them contain complaints similar to "management constantly changing goals," which probably translates to "what you're making isn't good enough so make it better," coming from the other view point.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I am going to create a team called "the gay town butt pirates" and hurt your already diminishing image
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 PM.

Top -