Home

Losing online 42-7, but I still “win” the game

This is a discussion on Losing online 42-7, but I still “win” the game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I would have quit the moment you punted on first down. ...

I played a game yesterday where I punted on first down, which caught my opponent off guard. When he went to pick up the ball with one of his defensive backs, I hit sticked him. He fumbled the ball away, and I got the ball in the red zone.

I don’t see a problem with that. It was a play that I chose. It worked. It’s no different than throwing a long pass and completing it. So it shouldn’t make a difference what play I call, and when I call it.

Would you quit if I faked my field goals and extra points every time, and tried to throw the ball in the end zone? Don’t exactly see a difference. They are all trick plays.

John Elway would sometimes punt on third and long, to surprise his opponent. Same basic thing. I’m just doing it on first down.

https://youtu.be/4cvW-CS46gU

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by apollo1980; 05-11-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Losing online 42-7, but I still “win” the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1980
I played a game yesterday where I punted on first down, which caught my opponent off guard. When he went to pick up the ball with one of his defensive backs, I hit sticked him. He fumbled the ball away, and I got the ball in the red zone.

I don’t see a problem with that. It was a play that I chose. It worked. It’s no different than throwing a long pass and completing it. So it shouldn’t make a difference what play I call, and when I call it.

Would you quit if I faked my field goals and extra points every time, and tried to throw the ball in the end zone? Don’t exactly see a difference. They are all trick plays.

John Elway would sometimes punt on third and long, to surprise his opponent. Same basic thing. I’m just doing it on first down.

"Quick kicks" as we used to call third down punts in the 70s when I was growing up have been around for a long, long, long time...so this isn't news. I've yet to see a team punt on first down (although maybe someone has in pro or college, I just haven't seen or heard about it). The 'it is a play I chose' rationale is the same as calling one or two money plays every time you have the ball or every time you play defense, which I'm sure folks will point out is another reason they don't play online or would quit when they saw that kind of play in their opponent. In these cases from what you describe, the game isn't a simulation of NFL not because the Madden game has flaws, but rather because one of the participants has chosen to not play the game to simulate the NFL (punting on first down, onside kick every time, never punt at all, calling two offensive money play-exploits every time). It is your game and you can certainly play it how you feel, but I'd be surprised if you get alot of sympathy for having opponents quit on you in this particular forum.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
The 'it is a play I chose' rationale is the same as calling one or two money plays every time you have the ball or every time you play defense, which I'm sure folks will point out is another reason they don't play online or would quit when they saw that kind of play in their opponent. In these cases from what you describe, the game isn't a simulation of NFL not because the Madden game has flaws, but rather because one of the participants has chosen to not play the game to simulate the NFL (punting on first down, onside kick every time, never punt at all, calling two offensive money play-exploits every time).
I ask you to watch the Super Bowl from January, 1988, the year the Redskins defeated the Broncos.

The Broncos were up 10-0 at the end of the first quarter.

The Redskins then scored 35 points in the second quarter. Alone.

And, for the most part, it was the same plays, over and over.

Why?

Because Denver had no answer for them. And Washington kept scoring.

Hey, sounds to me like the same as simulation football, where it echos real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqxTj4aWToE
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
Rookie

Here is a punt on 2nd down by Randall Cunningham. And his team was losing.

Again, punting when it's not 4th down isn't a new concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqqEKZDx84I

And here is Cunningham punting on 2nd down ... when his team is winning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO2ILLMWEKs

Last edited by apollo1980; 05-11-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
If you insist on doing this type of s**t at least do it offline against the CPU or a friend rather than ruin somebody else's experience
I can 'ruin' someone's experience by winning the game. Or have the CPU favor me. Or for getting fluke plays in my favor.

And these kinds of things have ruined my experience, too.

How I play the game doesn't have to have rules. If that were the case, I'd run, run, pass, then either punt or continue the drive, like a good little footballer.

I wouldn't use any strategy of my own, or play out of the box, or, in this case, use the system that exists with the CPU, and the online experience, to my advantage.

I don't recall ethics in sports.

If that were the case, the Patriots wouldn't have a franchise.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1980

Read my signature and you'll see my problem with it.

And ABSOFRICKINLUTELY I would quit if you fake field goals all the time, went for it on fourth down all the time, passed it 90% of the time, ran it 90% of the time, threw a streak when you called a screen pass, run backwards twenty yards on every pass, and every other completely stupid Tecmo Super Bowl move that ruins the NFL simulation aspect of this game.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #15
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Also please find a source that said Elway punted on THIRD down. So far I've only seen him punting on fourth when teams thought they were going for it.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2012/...way-the-punter

The only sources for that I've seen are internet forums where people 'member stuff. It might have happened. Once. Twice. Three times in NFL history, or so.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Read my signature and you'll see my problem with it.

And ABSOFRICKINLUTELY I would quit if you fake field goals all the time, went for it on fourth down all the time, passed it 90% of the time, ran it 90% of the time, threw a streak when you called a screen pass, run backwards twenty yards on every pass, and every other completely stupid Tecmo Super Bowl move that ruins the NFL simulation aspect of this game.

So, because someone doesn’t play the way YOU want them to, you’ll quit?

If you were coaching a real football team, and your opponents did this, would you walk off of the field and tell your team to quit?

Like it or not, it’s their way of playing. Adapt to it with your strategy to defeat them.

Oh, and the language isn’t necessary.

Last edited by apollo1980; 05-11-2018 at 12:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »