Home

If You Were in Charge of Madden: What Is Your Five-Year Plan (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on If You Were in Charge of Madden: What Is Your Five-Year Plan (Roundtable) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: If You Were in Charge of Madden: What Is Your Five-Year Plan (Roundtable)

Saw this on twitter:

Year 1: Make the game simulate the NFL.
Year 2: Make the game simulate the NFL.
Year 3: Make the game simulate the NFL.
Year 4: Make the game simulate the NFL.
Year 5: Make the game simulate the NFL.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 05-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

My creative vision for Madden:

- transition Madden away from an annual boxed release to a year-round subscription service. Sports games on consoles are well overdue for this change and non-sports games are already doing this (one notable example is Rainbow Six: Siege). I want Madden to lead the pack in this space amongst my direct peers in sports games. I assume this transition will require a major technical investment over the entire five years, especially for modes like Ultimate Team and Franchise, so I want to start it today. Once the game is adapted to the subscription model, I'll begin delivering new content to leverage that new position.

- double down on gameplay mechanics across the board, on and off the field. I want to lower the skill floor and raise the skill ceiling at every position on the field, and I want to create unique gameplay mechanics for different player types to increase roster diversity in all gameplay modes. The goal for this investment is to make an 11-v-11 online game of Madden fun to play for all players regardless of position. I also want to create more roster management mechanics in Franchise and Ultimate Team to make the meta of Madden more interesting, increase the game's authenticity where appropriate to do so, etc.

- make User vs CPU an adequate training tool for User vs User. I've said this before elsewhere, but it's worth repeating. The user has a massive toolbox at its disposal in Madden, and in my previous bullet point I propose continued investment into that toolbox. The game needs to actively make users aware these tools exist, the CPU needs to organically use all these tools, and the game needs to point out when use of these tools succeeds and fails so the user may learn from his gameplay mistakes. A more organic and skilled CPU opponent makes all single-player game modes better simultaneously.

- add components to Franchise and Ultimate Team to make each mode a more engaging and social experience. Specific to Franchise mode: I want to integrate Twitch and allow league members to broadcast their games within Madden; for example, if I log into Madden and my brother is in the middle of his game, the first thing I want to see on the franchise hub is a live feed of his game in progress. I want to collate highlights captured by my console or Twitch and present them in my team's hub for other users to see. I want to lift Story Builder from NCAA and allow custom content generation (such as what many people do in dynasty tracker threads) to happen natively within Madden. I want a much better companion app which broadcasts user-generated content, highlights, roster moves, game results, and all other activity to my phone so I can keep track of what's going on in my online league while I'm away from my console.

- continue development of Longshot on the back of last year's praise, but position it as a new user teaching tool. New users aren't going to be able to just jump right in to Madden and succeed, one-button "easy" modes are insulting to their intelligence, and removed from the appropriate context of Franchise mode Skills Trainer becomes a boring check list. I'd use Longshot to gradually introduce the controls of the game to users to get them at least ready to start attacking the rest of the game.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #11
Rookie

?Cleanup the ball physics and balance the game speed. As I have stated in the past, there is a good balance somewhere in between Slow and Normal speed. The Animations need to branch better with the game speed in order to make the experience more organic. Scrap the franchise mode that currently exists and replace with the franchise mode in Madden 05-08 on the ps2.

?*Create a Franchise. Now you can make your own team from scratch. Design your uniform, logo, stadium surrounding backgrounds and field types. set prices on all of your vendors and items sold Dynamic crowds based on team popularity, city desire and performance. Earn the right to even have your games televised.*

?*Downloadable additions to the game that allow for new modes. Call it "The Life". Career mode that takes your player from High School senior and live the life. Option to go to a *big school and be noticed by the world. You will be tempted by boosters, girls and grade tampering. Get caught and it will affect your draft stock. Open world career mode. Give us a chance to drive around a fictional city and spend our money on goods and services and fun. Do something foolish and pay off the law or miss a few games if the commish says so. Take some drugs and have a fun urine test mini game in order to rig the test.

?I feel that because personality has been surgically removed from this generation of the NFL, we need to have more to offer the football fan of video games. There is very little reason to play Madden once the Super Bowl ends. The developers need to give us more in the way of gameplay and off-the-field activities to keep us coming back after the last second ticks off of the clock on that manic Sunday. ***
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1
My 5 year plan.
*Start an entire overhaul to make Madden feel and look different.* The game needs to look different than the previous years, and must feel different. I would also focus on the best authentic game play.* The game must first represent NFL football in its truest form.* Game play must be the focus point . Once the game looks like NFL football and plays like NFL football, the building process to progress forward can begin.* Things such as an active sideline where the players are in 3D or beyond and every player with the correct name and number assigned to them. I would include a rival boost in franchise mode, where regardless of a teams record, the lower seeded team in a inter conference rival would get a small boost.* We see this in the NFL today where a team plays conference team a little tougher based on the 2 game meeting in the season. I would work on the presentation to represent the NFL the way it does today.* *I would figure out a way to incorporate multi broadcasting, where it's not just the same voices,* which i believe will make the game sound different and not the same every time its played.* We would have a main broadcasting team and then some generic voices so the game can stay fresh.* I would include live highlights in franchise mode as we during game play for live updates.* It was done many years ago, and with today's technology it should* be much better to accomplish. Half time show would be more detailed and in depth.* *The way I would do competitive mood is to make the players look and feel as themselves, I personally don't see the point if almost every player that* feels and look the same way, and are all just about a 99 rating, I would focus on parity in this mode and well as the animation of the entire game.* If EA would just make the running animation different for each position the game would look very different* and more authentic. Once this is accomplish then my goal would be to go after individual players.* My goal for the players environment would be to focus on how players react and move in the different clements, degraded fields, proper equipment and clothing for all polygon characters.* My ultimate goal is if you see it in real football you should see it in the game, with exceptions of players getting concussions.* I would work on making a complete game that doesn't need releasing every year, but have much needed updates based on the changes of the NFL to rules and polices and the drafting system from college to pro.* Whatever is excluded or included each year, we would have the ability to update with out releasing another title each year.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
My creative vision for Madden:

- transition Madden away from an annual boxed release to a year-round subscription service. Sports games on consoles are well overdue for this change and non-sports games are already doing this (one notable example is Rainbow Six: Siege). I want Madden to lead the pack in this space amongst my direct peers in sports games. I assume this transition will require a major technical investment over the entire five years, especially for modes like Ultimate Team and Franchise, so I want to start it today. Once the game is adapted to the subscription model, I'll begin delivering new content to leverage that new position.

- double down on gameplay mechanics across the board, on and off the field. I want to lower the skill floor and raise the skill ceiling at every position on the field, and I want to create unique gameplay mechanics for different player types to increase roster diversity in all gameplay modes. The goal for this investment is to make an 11-v-11 online game of Madden fun to play for all players regardless of position. I also want to create more roster management mechanics in Franchise and Ultimate Team to make the meta of Madden more interesting, increase the game's authenticity where appropriate to do so, etc.

- make User vs CPU an adequate training tool for User vs User. I've said this before elsewhere, but it's worth repeating. The user has a massive toolbox at its disposal in Madden, and in my previous bullet point I propose continued investment into that toolbox. The game needs to actively make users aware these tools exist, the CPU needs to organically use all these tools, and the game needs to point out when use of these tools succeeds and fails so the user may learn from his gameplay mistakes. A more organic and skilled CPU opponent makes all single-player game modes better simultaneously.

- add components to Franchise and Ultimate Team to make each mode a more engaging and social experience. Specific to Franchise mode: I want to integrate Twitch and allow league members to broadcast their games within Madden; for example, if I log into Madden and my brother is in the middle of his game, the first thing I want to see on the franchise hub is a live feed of his game in progress. I want to collate highlights captured by my console or Twitch and present them in my team's hub for other users to see. I want to lift Story Builder from NCAA and allow custom content generation (such as what many people do in dynasty tracker threads) to happen natively within Madden. I want a much better companion app which broadcasts user-generated content, highlights, roster moves, game results, and all other activity to my phone so I can keep track of what's going on in my online league while I'm away from my console.

- continue development of Longshot on the back of last year's praise, but position it as a new user teaching tool. New users aren't going to be able to just jump right in to Madden and succeed, one-button "easy" modes are insulting to their intelligence, and removed from the appropriate context of Franchise mode Skills Trainer becomes a boring check list. I'd use Longshot to gradually introduce the controls of the game to users to get them at least ready to start attacking the rest of the game.
That will absolutely DESTROY sim game play against the CPU.

If they did that, the CPU would become an unrealistic cheesefest. What they should do instead is adapt the CPU AI to mimic NFL TEAMS, and for those who want to learn how to play online, they can do it the old fashioned way: play online.

Madden could do a skill or win/loss based brackets for who you choose to play, like many PC games do (under level 15 in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, for example).

But training the CPU to mimic online users? HELL no. Instead, create AI that allows the CPU to mimic the NFL, including all the tools NFL teams have at their disposal.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 05-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
That will absolutely DESTROY sim game play against the CPU.
I disagree that "sim" gets destroyed by making the CPU aware of all the tools available to it. We've all been complaining that the CPU needs help for years, I want to provide it that help.

My go-to example on this is the story of how the Ravens user in my M18 online league led the league in rushing with Joe Flacco. This happened because said user scrambles any time the opportunity presents itself on a passing down, and the CPU doesn't know how or when to use a QB Spy or DL Contain rush unless that assignment is specifically baked into the play call.

(as an aside: before you said "I'd kick this user if I were you": 1 - he's my friend, so that's not happening; 2 - I don't have the time or patience to enforce video game house rules; and 3 - it's not my responsibility to teach someone the "right" way to play a video game, the video game must enforce its own rules upon its users.)

Teaching the CPU when and how to use defensive hot routes to counter that tendency forces that user to sit in the pocket and read a coverage, giving him opportunities to round out his skill set. He doesn't know how to actually read a coverage or play the pre-snap chess match at all, so against the very best players of the league he's currently screwed as long as he is allowed to rely on his crutch of just scrambling (because the very best players in our league know how to take that crutch away). I want the CPU to tie his right hand behind his back and make him learn to play left-handed, so to speak.

Even if making the CPU aware of its toolbox was 100% not "sim" - I already said I disagree, but let's go with it - I also feel strongly that competitive balance of the user population is far more important and wins out over "sim" in this case. IMO Madden is a competitive video game first and a football game second. I want to do my damnedest to make sure anyone who picks up the controller has a fighting chance if he or she goes online.

Quote:
for those who want to learn how to play online, they can do it the old fashioned way: play online.
This is literally the exact opposite of what you need to do if you want to foster a healthy and robust community in your game.

Going back to my online league - the skill gap between the best player and the worst player is extremely wide. The best player in the league, my brother, has won literally every game against one of our mutual friends for the past three iterations of Madden. As a game designer, I not only want to but I feel I have a strong obligation to provide tools and experiences with which the worst player may hone his skills so he has a chance against skilled opponents.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 05-11-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #15
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

For me, it will always be gameplay, gameplay and gameplay first. And, franchise mode needs some serious attention.

I think Sage hit on a good point, change the philosophy from the top on all the way down, but I just don't see that happening based on past history.

There are numerous additions to gameplay that need attention and too many to list.

Also, agree on a lot of JoshC's suggestions that I am in line with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #16
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

If I were in charge of Madden, I'd hire Duece as creative director and give him free reign....then leave him alone and watch Madden sore in sales/popularity.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »