Home

If You Were in Charge of Madden: What Is Your Five-Year Plan (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on If You Were in Charge of Madden: What Is Your Five-Year Plan (Roundtable) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #25
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: If You Were in Charge of Madden: What Is Your Five-Year Plan (Roundtable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
Fire whoever does animations, ask Visual Concepts and SDS to assist in the animation process, cause clearly having the largest animation studio doesn't mean anything. Spend the entire cycle working on situational/contextual/blending animations for any giving outcome. While simultaneously working on the AI and nothing but AI and Animations.
This right here needs to be the top priority. It needs to be priority number 1, 2, 3, and 4. A game can have the greatest franchise mode, the great customization options, the greatest "anything else feature," and I would not touch it unless the player movement animation are representative of athletes.

However, I would certainly not look to SDS for animations. That may be a shocking statement, but simply look at the gifs below and you'll understand why. If you actually break down and evaluate MLB the Show, the animations are no where near the level of realism found in Pro Yakyuu Spirits. If you want top level animation input, look to the team that worked on Pro Yakyuu Spirits.

Pro Yakyuu Spirits (GOOD representation) vs MLB the Show (POOR representation) vs Real Life.
Spoiler
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #26
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Well, my discussion piggybacks on what CM was suggesting, which is the CPU using more of the tools against users, which helps force the user to play smarter. But that got push back because that would be "an unrealistic cheesefest," as though NFL teams don't watch film and change their tendencies from week to week to account for what their opponent does.

That's the chess match. If I have a mobile QB,m then I know I will see more zone, one LB or S will be out of the play, and DL will be more focused on contain instead of pass rush. So that gives me options. That means sometimes, I am going to go against grain, because my opponent is assuming one thing, so I will do another.

But, apparently, that is not sim.
I am purely referencing user vs cpu, not hth. Totally different animals playing the game.

Last edited by roadman; 05-11-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:49 PM   #27
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1

i went over my 5 year plan in the Rex leave thread

i would try to brainstorm with @LD2K to turn madden CFM Mode into NBA 2K Lite add a commish mode let u create a 300 man offline draft class in cfm widen out the ratings look at Madden 2003 and madden 2010 Default rosters as ex

if players complain i would say go to mut we will boost your rating there

give the user a choice of numbers or badges at their ratings system

online if u dont play sim go to mut

custom create a team and stadium in cfm mode offline

more holding OPI DPI WILL be called

more Off Def playbooks ex Walsh West coast 99 rams 85 bears def tampa 2 and over 50 more

code word to unlock ne coach in cfm off line only

u can download your team music

think madden 12 on steroids
Old 05-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #28
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

OVR: 0

My ‘Day One’ plan would be to scrap talk of three or five year plans completely. They never reach fruition or materialise.

My focus every year would be to build upon what has been added already and build new features every single year that offer something to every member of the community. That includes franchise mode. I remember in past years, the devs for NCAA and Madden would talk about an environment where they were able to pitch ideas and develop them by themselves in some cases if they felt strongly about it. Often spending hours at the end of the day, unpaid, because they genuinely wanted a feature in the game. There’s a clear sense that has disappeared and the corporate structure has consumed the sense of individuality and personality among the team.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
This right here needs to be the top priority. It needs to be priority number 1, 2, 3, and 4. A game can have the greatest franchise mode, the great customization options, the greatest "anything else feature," and I would not touch it unless the player movement animation are representative of athletes.

However, I would certainly not look to SDS for animations. That may be a shocking statement, but simply look at the gifs below and you'll understand why. If you actually break down and evaluate MLB the Show, the animations are no where near the level of realism found in Pro Yakyuu Spirits. If you want top level animation input, look to the team that worked on Pro Yakyuu Spirits.

Pro Yakyuu Spirits (GOOD representation) vs MLB the Show (POOR representation) vs Real Life.
Spoiler
You're talking about likeness or signature animations. I'm talking contextual/situational animations to fit any giving scenario and it looks natural. Likeness just takes some getting some good actors to mimic or getting the player to come in and doing it themselves.

SDS, have a whole slew of animations that a 2nd and 3rd tier out of position player has no access to, which makes you reconsider drag and drop when you sub. EA, is just plug and pla when it comes to sports WE all know sports is a meritocracy, some men/women are better and can do more than others. Plug and play is a 90's concept.

Last edited by Impetuous65; 05-12-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #30
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
- Scrap the physics engine...replace it with an immensely deep and varied system of scripted, contextual animations for all forms of player interaction and movement thus creating a sense of explosiveness and impact.

- Take player models to the next level with different varied musculature types, arm lengths/wingspans and bone structure allowing for even more lifelike graphics.

- Advance and deepen the traits system to further govern the player behavior and decision making both on and off the field. Basically, each player will have their own unique psychological profile making your CFM feel "Alive".

- Full integration of Pro Football Focus data for player ratings and performance progression.

- A complete replication of TV Broadcast style presentation using the exact same cutaway shots, replays, overlays, sideline reporting, injury updates, etc* you'd see on gamedays...not some "re-imagined EA" vision of a TV broadcast.

Last edited by Kanobi; 05-12-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #31
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
We saw this issue in the QB scramble thread. You offered three strategies that help stop scrambling QBs. Strategies carry with them risk/reward. They may leave leave other areas open and allow other plays to work much better. But this is how competitions works.

What was the solution by the sim guys in the thread? Go into attributes and change the scrambling QB into a player that won't scramble so much. It's what I';ve called paint-by-numbers boring. There is no learning, no improving skills. They just dial in the results they want and make them happen. There is no risk/reward.

I'm with you. I'd rather a game adapt to condition on the field and opponent tendencies to utilize the same tools the User does. That leaves open the risk/reward opportunities to counter what your opponent is doing. If the game were to start doing that, it would render the "adjust attributes" solution even more meaningless.

Expanding on that, maybe difficulty levels take advanced strategies as way to scale difficulty. On easy, it doesn't adapt. On the Hardest, it adapts to everything. The only problem I see with this is the usual sports gamers battlecry of "Comeback code!"

In NHL, many players solved the "comeback code" by nerfing the AI's ability to change strategies, so it can't get more aggressive late in the game when it is losing, you know, instead of adjusting defensive strategies to protect a lead.

So, I'm not convinced that sim players will ever embrace an AI that actually uses the in-game tools to combat your tendencies. And if that is the case, you can't put sim gamers into easy difficulty, as they won't use it. But I think it would be better than changing the speed and abilities at different levels.
I'd prefer this. There is currently no strategy involved in games vs the cpu. Every play is completely independent from previous plays
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2018, 11:47 PM   #32
Rookie

JHamilton9's Arena

As was mentioned earlier by CM Hooe, I would move toward a subscription-based service. I would gradually phase out the disc while introducing the subscription. If I made the initial subscription fee $10-$15 less than the disc, more people may be enticed to go in that direction.

I would incorporate more micro-transactions. Want the latest uniform schemes or helmet design? Make it DLC. Want to play games inside the old Astrodome, Cleveland Stadium, Shea Stadium, etc? Make it DLC. Want to incorporate the new draft class into your Franchise Mode? You got it... make it DLC.

Redesign or scrap the CFM. Introduce a new offline Franchise Mode, which would have similar aspects of the Franchise Mode on the previous-generation systems. I would like the ability to watch or play other games without having to become coach or owner of that team. I would also give Franchise the ability to add 1 or 2 teams to the league, and possibly leading up to adding 4 teams.

The only CPU changes I would make would be to have it adjust better to my play calling. If I'm dinking-and-dunking the ball down the field, I would expect the defense to start to creep up. If my QB is scrambling for his life and getting good yardage, I would expect the defense to start spying on him. Personally, I have awful stick skills and the CPU can easily kill me if I screw up a few times. I can coach pretty good, and it is always tempting to go to my money plays. I would expect the CPU would better recognize these money plays.

Due to my awful stick skills, I don't play much MUT or online CFM- so I can't realistic say what I would do with those modes.

Longshot didn't entice me, and I'm less likely to play it again. If Longshot 2 doesn't impress me, I'd dump it.

If the NCAA Football game isn't coming back soon, introduce us to the CFL Grey Cup game. Their season starts sooner and the NFL does have an investment in the league... I'm just sayin'.

Finally, I'd introduce a new 5-on-5 or 7-on-7 All-Madden League. This would follow a similar path of the NBA 2K League in having tryouts, a draft, and conducting regular season and playoffs. Woven into the regular season would be tournaments, but the tournaments would be different. Maybe have a tournament of the Oklahoma drill, a tournament where every drive starts at the defense's 25, and a tournament where there is no kicking.

That's a lot to accomplish in 5 years...

recruited by every school, except yours

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »