Home

'Madden 19' News: Carlos Guerrero Takes Over As Senior Producer For Series

This is a discussion on 'Madden 19' News: Carlos Guerrero Takes Over As Senior Producer For Series within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: 'Madden 19' News: Carlos Guerrero Takes Over As Senior Producer For Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Here are the games Carlos has been a part of:

Starcraft: Brood war, 1998
Warcraft II: Battle.net edition, 1999
Diablo II, 2000
Starcraft 64, 2000
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, 2001
World of Warcraft, 2004
World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade, 2007
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, 2008
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, 2010
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, 2012
Warlords of Draenor 2014
Overwatch 2016

RPG games all the way.. As many may know, these games are heavy on strategy. They involve a lot of strength and weakness mechanics with each attack used, player skill, there is a counter.

There is generally a bunch of ways to set up a character for combat in these games which allows for a lot of strategy...Those who put in the time will be rewarded with greater results.

As many also probably know - YouTube and Twitch are filled with the content of these games provided by the community. Everything from theory to actual mechanics and strategy..

I love strategy. I am most likely reading too much into this, but I will allow my mind to wander to my best idea of Madden, and the future looks awesome.

(I am extremely bias though; outside of football, I think World of Warcraft is probably, consistently, the greatest game) I could sit and play, just the Auction House, for hours.
Impressive, impressive resume if you ask me.

Playing:
Old 05-15-2018, 08:21 PM   #10
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

I hope he approaches the series in a realistic/sim direction for gameplay and not strictly a "video game" way of development. We have enough of that already.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #11
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Not sure why there's any reason this move would affect the outlook of Franchise in any direction. Mike Young presumably is still in charge of modes. Rex Dickson's purview was on-field gameplay, presumably his replacement will have the same responsibilities.
It may be because last November Rex had mentioned that he was no longer primarily focused on gameplay anymore and that he had creative oversight over the entire Madden franchise while gameplay was now primarily being handled by Clint.

Add in the fact that Rex seemed to be leading the charge for significant CFM changes paired with the nature of his exit and perceived direction that Madden is heading, and I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to think that this move could have an impact on franchise mode. Most likely not this year, but certainly moving forward.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2

Clint got gameplay lead designer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #13
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
It may be because last November Rex had mentioned that he was no longer primarily focused on gameplay anymore and that he had creative oversight over the entire Madden franchise while gameplay was now primarily being handled by Clint.

Add in the fact that Rex seemed to be leading the charge for significant CFM changes paired with the nature of his exit and perceived direction that Madden is heading, and I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to think that this move could have an impact on franchise mode. Most likely not this year, but certainly moving forward.
This is exactly my thoughts.

This hire here doesn't scream out any football background(gaming or IRL), so, I am skeptical as well.(Rex ex-college player)

Time will tell. RPG, Esports doesn't equate to sim to me, but I'll wait and see where this goes.

I am glad that Clint has been promoted for lead gameplay designer, good for him, he keeps active after Madden is released on Twitter trying to answer questions.

Last edited by roadman; 05-15-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #14
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This is exactly my thoughts.

This hire here doesn't scream out any football background(gaming or IRL), so, I am skeptical as well.(Rex ex-college player)

Time will tell. RPG, Esports doesn't equate to sim to me, but I'll wait and see where this goes.

I am glad that Clint has been promoted for lead gameplay designer, good for him, he keeps active after Madden is released on Twitter trying to answer questions.
Though his background doesn't initially scream football, I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about how his pairing with Clint could actually be really productive. Clint can focus best on how gameplay can replicate what he saw in the NFL while Guerrero can focus upon how to provide strategic counter weights or control balances to "check" every new feature added to gameplay. Just to give an example from a past feature as to what I mean... Think of the addition of clicking the right stick to crash zones down to counter balance the ability of QBs to scramble, or ID the Mike to counter blitzes. These are things the competitive side of the game would need to have to be an esport while still allowing the ability to implement traditionally "sim features". You can even argue the R2 jump the snap and R1 hard count are strategic checks on each other. I'd expect to see more of this.

Though, I do not believe we will see a ton of major focus on franchise so much as game play after'19 until fans flip out again over lack of franchise improvement. But, I don't think franchise will "go away". It's still one of their top played modes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 05-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I think of something Mills has said constantly on his streams....paraphrasing, but the gist was that sports games were basically RPGs with a sports backdrop. That's really a fairly accurate statement....we are essentially role-playing as either players or coaches/GMs. Guerrero's resume is heavy into this genre (and certainly with games featuring a heavy online focus). In those respects, his expertise in those areas would seem to jive.

RPGs are heavy into strategic countermoves AND dice-rolls....two things which are fundamental aspects of having a quality football experience. I'm confident that Clint, if left to his own devices, can create the appropriate football backdrop and hopefully in a sim fashion...if Carlos can complement that backdrop with the strategic elements, this could wind-up being a fine move for gameplay.

The core of football (both on the field and on the virtual gridiron) is about tactics and strategies and having the appropriate pieces (players) to successfully execute them. Whether it is placing a pikeman against a mounted unit or a Cover 2 LB against a TE, it is all about moves and countermoves. Stick skills (even on competitive modes) is really secondary to the tactics.

I'm intrigued...there is potential here....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2018, 11:53 PM   #16
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Senior Producer only has vague creative responsibilities. It's more important he is a solid organizational mind. Clint is now lead gameplay. This is all good news.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »