Home

'Madden 19' News: Carlos Guerrero Takes Over As Senior Producer For Series

This is a discussion on 'Madden 19' News: Carlos Guerrero Takes Over As Senior Producer For Series within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #17
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: 'Madden 19' News: Carlos Guerrero Takes Over As Senior Producer For Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I think of something Mills has said constantly on his streams....paraphrasing, but the gist was that sports games were basically RPGs with a sports backdrop. That's really a fairly accurate statement....we are essentially role-playing as either players or coaches/GMs. Guerrero's resume is heavy into this genre (and certainly with games featuring a heavy online focus). In those respects, his expertise in those areas would seem to jive.

RPGs are heavy into strategic countermoves AND dice-rolls....two things which are fundamental aspects of having a quality football experience. I'm confident that Clint, if left to his own devices, can create the appropriate football backdrop and hopefully in a sim fashion...if Carlos can complement that backdrop with the strategic elements, this could wind-up being a fine move for gameplay.

The core of football (both on the field and on the virtual gridiron) is about tactics and strategies and having the appropriate pieces (players) to successfully execute them. Whether it is placing a pikeman against a mounted unit or a Cover 2 LB against a TE, it is all about moves and countermoves. Stick skills (even on competitive modes) is really secondary to the tactics.

I'm intrigued...there is potential here....
Agreed. There is great potential. After all, isn't football always heralded as a chess match between great strategists? Think of the great minds of football: Belichick, Parcells, Walsh. These guys were all great football strategists. Having some element of this in the game could be very exciting. An interdisciplinary background for a team like this breeds creativity in my book because each dev brings their own flair and perspective to the table. If they clash, it could create issues. But, if they mesh, the results could be beautiful.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 05-16-2018, 01:38 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 19

One thing is for sure, thereís no way Madden can have a hope of being successful in the eSports arena with AI players being driven on top of this old legacy code.

Unless thereís going to be an 11- on-11 introduced, the AI will play a major role during gameplay.

Seeing old code rear its head up live on national tv, was simply ugly and funny at the same time.

So maybe this venture into eSports forces them to finally deal with the AI issue, especially if itís going to be on tv.

We can only wait and see what the waters will feel like as a new captain steers the ship.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #19
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0

Gonna be honest: havenít been too impressed with Clintís work as far as gameplay with M18. I understand that a lot more goes on behind the scenes, but as a whole, to me, M18 looked ugly gameplay wise.

Sometimes, however, turnover can lead to success and Iím hoping for that. But as an avid fan of the series for 90% of my life, I canít help but approach with extreme caution.

MMORPGs are a whole different ballgame than simulation sports. Hereís hoping that the transition for Carlos is as painless as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #20
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Not sure why there's any reason this move would affect the outlook of Franchise in any direction. Mike Young presumably is still in charge of modes. Rex Dickson's purview was on-field gameplay, presumably his replacement will have the same responsibilities.
That might be even worse. For example, defensive holding? Kiss it good bye for good.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 05-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I'm a bit more optimistic than yesterday with AJ weighing in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #22
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Madden has truly become a wait and see game for me moving forward.

I loved the direction gameplay took starting with M16 and M18 took till February of this year to be playable for me offline. Because of that insanity I am sitting back, enjoying 18 offline now (only took 6 months after release which is horrible) and will stick with it thru Madden 19’s release.

Then I will hang here and simply talk to Josh1977 and he will tell me what’s up. I know he will pick up 19 (you can’t resist brother lol).

I am in the camp of Madden is close....so close yet still not delivering what The Show and 2K does in terms of replicating the sport they represent.

CFM is a whole other conversation as well. But gameplay is close. But I also realize they need to tear down this code and rebuild it. I will be around when they get it hopefully right on the next console generation. I think it is pretty much done for this console cycle. This is what we have. And it’s not bad....in fact it is the best playing Madden (16 and now fully patched 18) I have experienced. But there are still horrible AI legacy issues and flat out the AI is not that good. Where as in the other sports games I mentioned.....it is vastly superior.

And that leads to what their focus is. Online competitive play and that is from all accounts a great experience on M18.

Offline solo players are not the priority. Hence the poor and quite sterile CPU AI.
NBA 2K22

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 05-16-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Madden has truly become a wait and see game for me moving forward.

I loved the direction gameplay took starting with M16 and M18 took till February of this year to be playable for me offline. Because of that insanity I am sitting back, enjoying 18 offline now (only took 6 months after release which is horrible) and will stick with it thru Madden 19ís release..............

Offline solo players are not the priority. Hence the poor and quite sterile CPU AI.
I followed a similar protocol as you did with M17. Frankly, while I appreciate EA's efforts to support the game post-release with patches, it affected my gameplay and slider experience to the point where it became extremely frustrating. Actually spent this past year enjoying Madden 17 with updated rosters, rather than having to constantly adjust sliders to accommodate the changes that patches and tuners caused.

It would be greatly appreciated, no matter who's doing what, if this year's release would actually be reasonably complete out-of-the-box, rather than using us as "game-testers after release" and constantly making changes to the experience throughout the game cycle.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #24
Rookie

I'm not sure how so many of you can be optimistic with this move. I don't know anything about Carlos, but how much does Carlos know about football? You'd like to believe that it shouldn't matter much, but it usually does.

The NHL series by EA was a touted and up and coming franchise under David Littman (a former hockey player and goalie), but they pulled him off of the lead to work on NBA and other stuff, and the series has suffered ever since.

With the background that Carlos has wouldn't you fear more rock/scissors/paper like mechanics in play and button combos to perform moves?

I honestly don't know and am asking. I worry this will only further the catering to the MUT crowd and deter the franchise and simhead following even more. Hope that I am wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »