Home

'Madden 19' News: Carlos Guerrero Takes Over As Senior Producer For Series

This is a discussion on 'Madden 19' News: Carlos Guerrero Takes Over As Senior Producer For Series within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #65
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: 'Madden 19' News: Carlos Guerrero Takes Over As Senior Producer For Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCard
I think you've missed the bigger picture here. You're correct that he's not "specifically" a micro transaction guy but his skill set of defining W/L actions in a game lends itself more to the idea that you can buy a win or buy leverage.

Essentially he'll lay the frame work for the house. He won't create the transaction platform but he'll create a world that can more easily be capitalize on it. There's no question that RPG elements within a game clearly plays into the micro transaction world.
I hate to break it to you, but Madden, and sports games period, have a huge "RPG" element to them. Player progression and the stats that define who they are is Dungeons and Dragons on the grid iron.

Furthermore, nothing about an RPG lends itself to micro-transactions vs any other genre of games. In fact, I would say it is often less so when a game is online multiplayer because you simply piss off too many customers by catering so blatantly to a customer willing to put fourth actual money after their initial purchase or subscription fee in a game that promises and even playing field.

This is actually a big reason why people detest the EAS Ultimate Team System, because far too many players go out and buy super teams, and you get to face them with your team of standard cards.

I mean, it's bad enough to get beat by someone handidly because they're throwing bombs with Brady to Jerry Rice over some Dime DB, and picking off your 3rd round QB, but it's worse when you get beat by the same sort of team being controlled by some 12 year old who plays the game that can't even read a coverage, run lanes, play art, or understand personnel.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #66
MVP

OVR: 15

If they build micro transactions into Franchise, it will only work if they TAKE a feature away and then make us pay for it. Right now franchise if fully customizable (except for draft classes). If I want a faster developing rookie I don't have to buy XP, I can grind for it or just change the rookies ratings directly. I really hope they don't take away a feature just to sell it back to us. Again, microtransactions should be purely cosmetic. Maybe they sell us back the uniform creator that NCAA had a few years back. Maybe they make us pay for legendary rookies or something. But they can't TAKE away a feature that was given for free and then sell it back as a micro transaction. There'd be a revolt.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #67
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

If I remember correctly, in the NCAAF game there was a year or two where you could pay actually money to get great recruiting and and some stuff like that. I think it was pulled from future titles because people were super pissed about it.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 0

As someone who's played a few these games heavily, I can offer some opinions.

First, I think you guys are exaggerating micro transactions. Many of these games are based on the idea of grinding a bit, then letting skill and strategy separate the cream from the crop. For example, Overwatch only offers cosmetic upgrades.

Second, the opposition to RPG elements in this game seems odd. Football overlaps pretty well with RPG and MMOs. I'll use Overwatch as an example. Right now, a section of the community hates the new hero Brig. She's a hard counter to previously effective heros, and she can counter these heros despite being played less effectively. And that's a good thing! It encourages me that they're willing to take flack from the public in the name of strategy and balance.

Save for a major ratings disparity, a good play should beat a bad play most of the time in the NFL. These are the elements of the game that need to be expanded upon moving forward IMO, and I think a competitive minded leader could help. Let's improve the game within the game.

Finally, these are some of the most creative, polished games in their fields. They all have their issues, but the strides made in the gaming industry by each of these games can't be overlooked. Gaming wouldn't be what it is today without them.

All of that said, the one thing that does worry me is that Blizzard has begun to garnish a reputation similar to EA. They're sacrificing customer service and attention to detail for profit margins and good publicity. I am a bit worried that this man may be a bit more willing to toe the company line than Rex seemed to be.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
If I remember correctly, in the NCAAF game there was a year or two where you could pay actually money to get great recruiting and and some stuff like that. I think it was pulled from future titles because people were super pissed about it.
I think it was NCAA 14. I remember seeing prices for recruiting, Coaching traits/trees bonuses
Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #70
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Like so many other things when it comes to Madden, I'm not mad at what they do, it's the way they do it that gets me. So the idea of microtransactions doesn't bother me in the least, it's the way I'd expect EA Tib to do them that does.

Imo, if they had things like unique uniforms/customization, including various equipment (shoes, gloves, etc), custom stadium sounds (NFL2k5, NCAA Football), TD celebrations, Coach reactions/emotions, broadcast packing/audio scores, fan packages (blackout, whiteout, rival game, etc), offseason draft prospect mini-games/tryouts, etc, stuff like that which is true to NFL football and void of any acradey/gamey boosts, that would make sense. Have that stuff unlockable by either paying directly or accumulating "coins" through MUT.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #71
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypowers88
As someone who's played a few these games heavily, I can offer some opinions.

First, I think you guys are exaggerating micro transactions. Many of these games are based on the idea of grinding a bit, then letting skill and strategy separate the cream from the crop. For example, Overwatch only offers cosmetic upgrades.

Second, the opposition to RPG elements in this game seems odd. Football overlaps pretty well with RPG and MMOs. I'll use Overwatch as an example. Right now, a section of the community hates the new hero Brig. She's a hard counter to previously effective heros, and she can counter these heros despite being played less effectively. And that's a good thing! It encourages me that they're willing to take flack from the public in the name of strategy and balance.

Save for a major ratings disparity, a good play should beat a bad play most of the time in the NFL. These are the elements of the game that need to be expanded upon moving forward IMO, and I think a competitive minded leader could help. Let's improve the game within the game.

Finally, these are some of the most creative, polished games in their fields. They all have their issues, but the strides made in the gaming industry by each of these games can't be overlooked. Gaming wouldn't be what it is today without them.

All of that said, the one thing that does worry me is that Blizzard has begun to garnish a reputation similar to EA. They're sacrificing customer service and attention to detail for profit margins and good publicity. I am a bit worried that this man may be a bit more willing to toe the company line than Rex seemed to be.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app
The bold statement is where I have the most concern. A lot of good calls don't beat bad ones and then you have to factor in the degree of success. This comes more into play if you attach a pay for ratings concept.

If they decide to go in this direction(which of course we don't know yet) it could lead to the average buyer having an unreasonable exception of success. We've seen crazy tuning and patches for years and these guys already overreact to people blowing up twitter and FB with unreasonable expectations so its hard to not expect that to be way worse when someone puts micro payments behind their expectations.

For example lets say someone calls a trap and pulls a guard against a 5 man front with a blitzing MLB and OLB.

Now I'd audible out of that knowing that I'd be exposed at the MLB blitz with my LT not being able to down block the blitz because he's got a man on.

That should not always result in a blown play and in fact if I have a smart guard and a QB that gets out from underneath center fast enough I might be able to grab a yard or two. Especially if the blitzing OLB contains wide past my pulling guard.

But if you got someone who's paid to boost their LB speed or pursuit they'd surely expect that play to result in a loss of yards. And they would expect that result every single time.

I know my example is a bit of a stretch but its worth thinking about.

But hey if all they're going to do is charge you for socks and elbow pads...I could care less.

The Golf Club Published Courses
The OsoV2
Big Leaf of South Texas
Mt. Turner - Island Links
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »