Home

Madden 18 Salary Cap Question.

This is a discussion on Madden 18 Salary Cap Question. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Madden 18 Salary Cap Question.

In my franchise mode im at -18m in salary cap , i tried to trade a player who will make 12 millions vs a player who is a rookie that makes 990k a yr , to dump some salary , but the CPU wont let me do the trade because i will be over the cap.

so is my only option cutting this player ??

thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 18 Salary Cap Question.

The NFL salary cap deadline is the first day of the league year, (this year it was March 14th). At that point all teams must be under the salary cap. This is also the first day of free agency and the first day that trades are permitted (they are often agreed to prior to this date, but are not finalized until it arrives). The game is accurate in that it does not allow you to do this trade, but it is not accurate in why it won’t allow you to do the trade. It’s preventing you because you’ll be “over the cap”, when in reality it should be preventing you because by NFL rules you would have to already be under the cap before you could even attempt a trade to begin with. Trades are not permitted until the league year begins (March 14) but teams can’t be over the cap at that point anyway. So where the game failed was that it didn’t force you to be under the cap prior to giving you the option to trade. So, yes, cutting that player (or cutting other players to get you under the cap) is the only option in the game and also would be the only option in the real NFL.

The best way to avoid this during the season (especially prior to the trade deadline) is to look in the salaries menu and calculate all of the cap hits you have for the next year, compare that number to the estimated salary cap for the next year (I think it goes up 5-10 million per year in the game). That will tell you if your EXISTING contracts will have you over or under the cap which can help you plan free agency and help you decide about trades.

If you are not looking to play aligned to real NFL rules you could always go into the rosters menu and edit the salaries your highest paid players to adjust their salaries to get you under the cap. Then you could make all the trades you want which could help you clear cap space, and then you could raise those players salaries back up to where they were. You’d still have accurate cap numbers when it’s all done, the only difference would be the “loophole” that would allow you to do trades. Though again that would not be something a real NFL GM could do.

Last edited by Jimbo12308; 05-28-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo12308
The NFL salary cap deadline is the first day of the league year, (this year it was March 14th). At that point all teams must be under the salary cap. This is also the first day of free agency and the first day that trades are permitted (they are often agreed to prior to this date, but are not finalized until it arrives). The game is accurate in that it does not allow you to do this trade, but it is not accurate in why it won’t allow you to do the trade. It’s preventing you because you’ll be “over the cap”, when in reality it should be preventing you because by NFL rules you would have to already be under the cap before you could even attempt a trade to begin with. Trades are not permitted until the league year begins (March 14) but teams can’t be over the cap at that point anyway. So where the game failed was that it didn’t force you to be under the cap prior to giving you the option to trade. So, yes, cutting that player (or cutting other players to get you under the cap) is the only option in the game and also would be the only option in the real NFL.

The best way to avoid this during the season (especially prior to the trade deadline) is to look in the salaries menu and calculate all of the cap hits you have for the next year, compare that number to the estimated salary cap for the next year (I think it goes up 5-10 million per year in the game). That will tell you if your EXISTING contracts will have you over or under the cap which can help you plan free agency and help you decide about trades.

If you are not looking to play aligned to real NFL rules you could always go into the rosters menu and edit the salaries your highest paid players to adjust their salaries to get you under the cap. Then you could make all the trades you want which could help you clear cap space, and then you could raise those players salaries back up to where they were. You’d still have accurate cap numbers when it’s all done, the only difference would be the “loophole” that would allow you to do trades. Though again that would not be something a real NFL GM could do.
Damn , thats a thorough answer , thank you very much for this and i will cut my players as a real life gm would do !

Thanks.

-Dan
Old 05-28-2018, 11:24 PM   #4
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan75
Damn , thats a thorough answer , thank you very much for this and i will cut my players as a real life gm would do !

Thanks.

-Dan
Cut him then bid on him in Free Agency. It's happened before.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

why you have to manually add up future cap is beyond me, nfl2k5 would have cap total projected for 5 years iirc

also when i look through trade screen after week 3 some teams are negative then ...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2018, 11:51 PM   #6
Rookie

Look for cap penalties as well anyone you owe a bonus to will cut into the money you would save

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-30-2018, 01:25 AM   #7
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Just if you want to cheat: edit his contract years, if he has a couple left. It's the fastest way to lower cap hit. Of course that is hard core cheating, and no self-respecting sim CFM player would do that
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo12308
Though again that would not be something a real NFL GM could do.
Just off the top of my head both the 49ers and the Broncos have been caught flouting salary cap rules.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »