Home

Has Madden improved in the last half decade?

This is a discussion on Has Madden improved in the last half decade? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Has Madden improved in the last half decade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Has absolutely nothing to do with the question as to whether Madden NFL - as a game in total or franchise mode in specific - is better now than it was five and ten years ago, so it's way off-topic.
I get what you're saying, but as a point of comparison it shows a competitor, in the same genre, putting TONS of work into the same mode and having great results.

It's unfortunate. If they could put that emphasis into Franchise Mode it'd be so much more fun.

I don't dislike Madden franchise mode, I play it the most, but why not strive to be the best in the genre? EA seems comfortable resting on its monopoly of hte licenses for NHL and NFL, IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #26
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Has absolutely nothing to do with the question as to whether Madden NFL - as a game in total or franchise mode in specific - is better now than it was five and ten years ago, so it's way off-topic.
I disagree. But fine, let us use Madden 2006 (xbox/ps2)

Relocation with custom jersey creator
Holdouts
Better progression/regression system
Radio show/newspaper headlines
Training camp drills
Position battles
Export roster
Assistant coaches
Restricted FA tender
Player personalities
Change team captains

EDIT: You could also do a makeshift online franchise. The game had an export game feature in franchise, which you could load individual games in to your "EA Locker" and have your friend download the game, play it and reupload it and download the results to your franchise.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Last edited by XtremeDunkz; 06-06-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #27
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
let us use Madden 2006 (xbox/ps2)
Now we're back on topic. Let's break it down:

Quote:
Better progression/regression system
Define "better". I certainly do not agree that the opaque and one-size-fits-all player progression / regression system from the older games is more authentic, more enjoyable, or more useful to the user than the one we have now.

Objectively speaking, progression / regression as it exists in Madden today offers the following functionality:

- multiple player development paths depending on player type and development trait

- multiple and varied levels of user agency within the system

- very obvious inputs and outputs to what makes a player improve and decline

- very obvious communication of the driving factors of a player's progression and regression to the user

- end-user tuning potential via sliders

The older progression system offers none of this functionality. Neither rhyme nor reason was ever offered in any in-game UI as to how to improve or player or why he declined; they just went up and down at the end of the season for no apparent reason and that was that. With the exception of the Training Camp mini-games which explicitly communicated player upgrades in drill results, no action by users was offered any apparent explanation, consequence, or context with respect to player development. The old system certainly wasn't customizable or end-user tunable.

This not to say the current system is without its own issues, but it easily is a more understandable, flexible, dynamic, and useful system than what previously existed.
Quote:
Radio show/newspaper headlines
One of my biggest criticisms of the current Franchise mode is that it lacks immersion in the menus and out-of-game presentation, so I give you this one.
Quote:
Training camp drills
Replaced by Weekly Training, which is a more authentic and more useful player development feature. Improving my quarterback via running actual route concepts is obviously a more authentic way to improve his ability compared to dodging floating tennis balls, and it simultaneously reinforces advanced gameplay concepts for users so they improve their metagame at the same time.
Quote:
Position battles
A poorly-designed gameplay feature which actively encouraged both user and CPU teams to make suboptimal roster management decisions solely in the name of presentation authenticity. The game should not teach the user to make poor roster management decisions, and the game also should not handicap itself in fielding the best possible opponent for the end user. It did add some dynamism to the mode in a single-player context, but on the whole I don't miss this at all.
Quote:
Relocation
Still in the game. Admittedly not quite as good without the custom jersey creator.
Quote:
custom jersey creator
Holdouts
Export roster
Assistant coaches
Restricted FA tender
Player personalities
Change team captains
I'd like all these things back, and I readily allow that there are plenty of things that the current Madden franchise experience is missing. However, to me they are varying degrees of ancillary. I personally wouldn't trade components of the current experience away to get these back.
Quote:
EDIT: You could also do a makeshift online franchise.
Manual file sharing is not online franchise.

Even if we count manual file sharing as "online franchise", however, then certainly the usability of online franchise is infinitely better now than it was then. We now have the entire game save living on a server that any league member may access any time on any console. The "mode" no longer requires manual end-user file uploads. We have commissioner roles and controls. We have automatic league advances. We have autopilot settings. We have live drafts. And so on.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #28
Rookie

Yes by far
Old 06-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 1

Let's be real, every game now is better than previous editions. The question is has it been improving at an acceptable pace? Imo, no. But Madden 18 is the best version of the last 5 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-07-2018, 06:33 AM   #30
Rookie

tosa's Arena

OVR: 10

To me the question isn't whether it has improved in over a decade, it is- has it improved enough? I think gameplay, graphics and player logic have improved greatly over this time but that Franchise and user immersion are what have plagued the series mostly. I am excited (cautiously optimistic) about the potential of this version of the game. Improved player movement, improved franchise, continued improvement w/player logic and cpu management are what i look forward to the most:
Old 06-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #31
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

In terms of presentation, Id say yes. Some gameplay elements have been tweaked but overall and IMO, the series has taken a step back as far as features and overall quality. Im not gonna list them all out, since Im 99% sure I already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #32
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Gameplay has improved, franchise has taken multiple steps backwards

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »