Home

Has Madden improved in the last half decade?

This is a discussion on Has Madden improved in the last half decade? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #41
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Has Madden improved in the last half decade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini03
I have always thought that Madden could not compete with NCAA in terms of replay-ability and length of dynasty/franchise. That has not changed.
I concur but I think that is just a reflection of the nature of college vs pro.

College: entire team will change every 4-5 years, so success has a greater chance of being fleeting (team dynamics are constantly changing). Roster improvement (recruiting) occurs during the season and as you get commitments, you have that added incentive of "oooh, can't wait to use him next year".

Pro: you may have a lot of players for 10+ years; so you build a power, it may be that way for a long while. Virtually all aspects of significant team improvement occurs in the offseason (draft, free agency, etc). So, you get the long stretches of "grinding games" to get to the "fun part" (i.e. the offseason).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977

College: entire team will change every 4-5 years, so success has a greater chance of being fleeting (team dynamics are constantly changing). Roster improvement (recruiting) occurs during the season and as you get commitments, you have that added incentive of "oooh, can't wait to use him next year".

Pro: you may have a lot of players for 10+ years; so you build a power, it may be that way for a long while. Virtually all aspects of significant team improvement occurs in the offseason (draft, free agency, etc). So, you get the long stretches of "grinding games" to get to the "fun part" (i.e. the offseason).

I think you nailed what I did not want to take the time to type! Lol
Old 06-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #43
MVP

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977

I think this kind of shows one of the major problems with CFM. What you listed under College should in reality be extremely similar to the pro's. I go back to the Chiefs 2013 roster and there's only 7 players from that roster still on their team today. And there was only ~23 of the same players just from 2012 to 2013. I looked at the 49ers and they only have 2 players still on their roster from 2013. There's a ton of turnover in the NFL on a year-to-year basis but roster management in general within Madden is extremely elementary for the sake of not frustrating the user and is one of the most poorly represented aspects.

And then scouting should essentially be the same kind of thing as recruiting but you don't get the same feeling with that as you do recruiting because your only interaction with prospects is at most three button presses. With recruiting you're weighing pitches, recruit interest, visits, etc. and that happens over the course of multiple weeks and obviously with scouting you're not going to do those kind of things and you're not going to get that "he's mine" type of moment during the season but with scouting there's really no dynamic at all outside of the handful of stories. You scout a guy in week 3 and there's no need to interact or care about him until the draft.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #44
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I think this kind of shows one of the major problems with CFM. What you listed under College should in reality be extremely similar to the pro's. I go back to the Chiefs 2013 roster and there's only 7 players from that roster still on their team today. And there was only ~23 of the same players just from 2012 to 2013. I looked at the 49ers and they only have 2 players still on their roster from 2013. There's a ton of turnover in the NFL on a year-to-year basis but roster management in general within Madden is extremely elementary for the sake of not frustrating the user and is one of the most poorly represented aspects.

And then scouting should essentially be the same kind of thing as recruiting but you don't get the same feeling with that as you do recruiting because your only interaction with prospects is at most three button presses. With recruiting you're weighing pitches, recruit interest, visits, etc. and that happens over the course of multiple weeks and obviously with scouting you're not going to do those kind of things and you're not going to get that "he's mine" type of moment during the season but with scouting there's really no dynamic at all outside of the handful of stories. You scout a guy in week 3 and there's no need to interact or care about him until the draft.
I'd like to see a process similar to NCAA recruiting used in Madden's 4 stage free agency off-season process.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 06-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #45
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I'll answer the question as succintly as I can.

Yes it has improved. But there is too many issues with the game dating all the way back, it can somewhat overshadow the improvements.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #46
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas

Yes! And the handful of stories are easy to glaze over or forget about. They're on the awfully constructed "news" page and never attach themselves to the prospect.

At the very least, when you pull up a prospect's information card, all of the in-season stories should be viewable from that page. Instead they're missing and a complete afterthought. Yet another example of the lack of attention and care that EA has paid to CFM.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #47
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

No because my POV on improvement, in this case, is not about being better than whatever aspects of recent Maddens, it's about improving the football genre as a whole, considering Madden is the only licensed game in that genre. Madden has been the equivalent of the entire NFL football genre since 2005 and that of the entire licensed football genre since 2014/no NCAA Football, so again, to label Madden "improved" solely based it recently being better than itself, sometimes, in some aspects, is a misnomer.

That said, based on specific improvement within the genre, Madden has done that with regard to graphics* and social networking. However, like others have mentioned, the numerous areas where Madden has kept the genre stagnant or digressed it, cumulatively make Madden and the genre, derelict the last half decade, imo.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #48
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Yes it's definitely been improving over the last few years gameplay wise, and even CFM is improving, albeit at what most regard as a snail's pace
I disagree - it's more or less incrementally better than say Madden 09 which is an absolute tragedy considering that not only is that a decade ago but we're nearly to the end of this console generation!

I have very little hope that Madden will ever make a conscious effort to overhaul (think 2K8>2K9>2K10). Madden is definitely a disappointment and I genuinely am scared with new consoles on the horizon that we're nearing pressing the reset button again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »