Home

Coaching Adjustments- how effective and hanging around for M19?

This is a discussion on Coaching Adjustments- how effective and hanging around for M19? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Coaching Adjustments- how effective and hanging around for M19?

How effective do you find the coaching adjustments and which ones do you use most often?

I use pass rush often, not convinced it has added sacks but it almost always results in a string of penalties when I turn it too aggressive. Once that initial rush of penalties is over - there are usually no more penalties. I can leave it on after that

I don’t use the blocking adjustment much because it results in way too many penalties. difficult to flip it on for a few plays without getting one.

The CB matchup is the one I use the most and it’s a little different in that it’s not a gameplay mechanic

Stripping and tackling seem to have more downside than upside to them. Not sure I’ve ever caused a turnover with either.

Don’t use most of the others.

Didn’t read anything in the gameplay info for M19 that discussed these - is it safe to assume they are coming back?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Re: Coaching Adjustments- how effective and hanging around for M19?

CB matchups is big. In my fairly competitive 32-man league I used the following depending on who I was facing:

- matching depth chart
- matching MCV/RTE
- matching SPD

I could even see a scenario where I would want to match based on height, though I didn't. Also, going into a game knowing how I'm matching up allows me to know which CB is going to need the most help and adjust accordingly. It's a great feature which allows a defense to cover up or mitigate a clear matchup disadvantage as well as exploit matchup advantages, really hope it doesn't go away.

The rest are meh, situational at best and often there's one 'optimal' one. But the CB matchups are nuanced and actually useful to help execute a gameplan, can change week-by-week.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues

Last edited by Aestis; 06-13-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
MVP

My gripe is that they are clumsy to navigate too. I needs to be a menu we can pull up with a single button press to change. When you have to leave them on due to the time it takes to navigate to them they kind of lose their effectiveness as a strategic tool.

They are back and have been tuned a bit.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

The aggressive pass rush results in an offsides 90% of the time the offense fake hikes. Which is 100% unrealistic and BS. They need to tone that down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 06-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
The aggressive pass rush results in an offsides 90% of the time the offense fake hikes.
This has not been my experience with aggressive pass rush.

That said, if you just leave it on all game, you're going to be penalized. Risk-reward, etc. You have to be a little more selective about when you use it to minimize the risk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I use aggressive pass rush a lot. It's the cornerstone of my online CFM defense. Users don't fake hike enough.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I think this is an underrated aspect of M18. The CPU for sure is using these and they switch them up throughout the game, so it can be a real chess match, especially on higher difficulty levels, to figure out when to put some of these adjustments into play.

I use them all.

If I want to take a shot, I'll put blocking on aggressive and deep catching to conservative to enhance the ability for more yards after the catch (rather than a SPC).

If I want to make them grind out a drive, I put tackling on conservative and play the receiver.

If I want a big stop in short yardage, I'll put tackling on aggressive.

What I love is that sometimes it goes your way, and sometimes you lose the adjustment battle and pay. I see a few plays a game that are a direct result of me or the CPU winning this game within a game. I like it and it keeps me engaged.

The only thing I wish is that it were easier to make these adjustments from within the play calling menu. It's a bit cumbersome as it stands.

I'd also like more granularity so I could set individual players to play certain ways.

But on the whole, I get tangible benefits from all of the adjustments offered and use them all regularly.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #8
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I use them a lot to match my secondary -- varies based on opponent. Sometimes I want to match for speed, sometimes route running, etc.

I always set the ball-in-the-air one to SWAT, mainly because of how I didn't like how easy it was in M17 to get beaten deep.

I'll mess with the option one on occasion depending on if Im playing against a QB who is a stiff

But Pass Rush is one is my favorite. Don't really mess with aggressive until end of half situations and when I get a big lead say the 4th quarter when I'll leave it on. But I'll also go to conservative which puts the ends in a contain rush. Found that real handy against mobile QBs when playing against the CPU who will run into sacks trying to get outside when it's set to conservative, but not so much when it's on aggressive.

I'm glad they're not going anywhere. I for one get a lot of use out of them and I LOVE that the CPU uses them.
Spent a lot of years hoping for them after they first appeared in NCAA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »