Home

Height & Weight Player Archetypes

This is a discussion on Height & Weight Player Archetypes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Height & Weight Player Archetypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascs13
I was initially excited , I thought all aspects of a player were now defined (including height and weight) , with pros and cons of each (which would make the game more strategic)

Seriously what's the point? If you can just run any receiver out there regardless of height and weight & he plays the same.. or "fits" the "scheme"

Random progression and regression could have been done under the hood, without relating it to schemes and player types.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Incremental progression. Everyone wants to run these super deep and advanced systems into the game ASAP but the reality is they aren't going to function perfectly early on in most cases (Not a Madden issue a programming issue in general). By introducing them in a non game breaking way if they don't work they can ensure the schemes are balanced and functioning correctly year 1 then in year 2 they can add negative functions to scheme knowing that the system was tested thoroughly in game for a year.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascs13
Do height and weight play a role in the scheme/new archetype system. If not, does anyone believe it should? Do age and regression play a role?

*Having a hard distinguishing the different skills of players, do to inflated ratings I believe.
Ex) I envision a "red zone" threat as a taller, stronger, jump ball, receiver.
Odell Beckham Jr is rated extremely high in this category.. (

My question is Why? He's extremely talented no doubt, However, I think it takes away from the intended purpose of the system (which is to distinguish and highlight differences &"scheme fits), when all categories are rated high, or the same. Again he's extremely talented, so maybe he is a top red zone guy, but the point remains.

*Derrick henry is above an 80 rating in the "Elusive back" category. I don't understand why or how.

*Also take a look at Dak Prescotts Archetypes. He's well rounded in all categories, he can fit any scheme. Anyone who saw Dallas play last year knows he's not the most polished passer, yet in madden he's considered a good fit for any offense?

Why! Why! Why!

I agree with much of this.
Plenty of players that lean hard to one archetype of play shouldn't be so well-rounded in others.

But on the other hand, if this is implemented how I imagine it, it does create value in players with lower Overall Ratings. For instances we have 2 WRs:

- One is a low 80's in Possession/Route Running/Red Zone Threat (ratings give 82ovr)
- The other is a 93 in Deep threat, yet is 70's in all the others. (ratings give 89ovr)

Whilst the 2nd guy has higher overall, the 1st guy in my eyes is more valuable because he can adapt to any scheme the team applies; ye old "Jack of All Trades, yet Master of None". However, the 2nd guy has more value to a scheme that needs that to add that Deep Threat to give their QB someone to try that deep ball with comfortably.

IF you manage to get a BRUISER Back like oldschool Jerome Bettis, his "Elusive Back" Archetype should be fizzly low (if existing at all). On the other end of the spectrum, "Power Back" should be next to nothing for a Barry Sanders/Darren Sproles type of Runner.

That at the very least will make players that can "Do it all" stand out more prominently and really give them stock.

Now, if Ratings themselves give birth to Archetype tendencies......then I won't be too happy about that.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucram7777
I agree with much of this.
Plenty of players that lean hard to one archetype of play shouldn't be so well-rounded in others.

But on the other hand, if this is implemented how I imagine it, it does create value in players with lower Overall Ratings. For instances we have 2 WRs:

- One is a low 80's in Possession/Route Running/Red Zone Threat (ratings give 82ovr)
- The other is a 93 in Deep threat, yet is 70's in all the others. (ratings give 89ovr)

Whilst the 2nd guy has higher overall, the 1st guy in my eyes is more valuable because he can adapt to any scheme the team applies; ye old "Jack of All Trades, yet Master of None". However, the 2nd guy has more value to a scheme that needs that to add that Deep Threat to give their QB someone to try that deep ball with comfortably.

IF you manage to get a BRUISER Back like oldschool Jerome Bettis, his "Elusive Back" Archetype should be fizzly low (if existing at all). On the other end of the spectrum, "Power Back" should be next to nothing for a Barry Sanders/Darren Sproles type of Runner.

That at the very least will make players that can "Do it all" stand out more prominently and really give them stock.

Now, if Ratings themselves give birth to Archetype tendencies......then I won't be too happy about that.
I believe ratings themselves are reflected in the archetypes. Dak Prescott for example, it seems to me there are not enough ratings to truly distinguish differences.

It seems the same ratings that make him a good fit to be a field general , are also reflected in his strong arm, or west coast "archetypes"

& Further proof is the fact that Derrick Henry is above 80 In elusive back archetype..

I'm sure that was not the purpose, but with inflated ratings it's bound to happen, two examples of madden saying he can do it all... when he really cant.

Having Dak Prescott and Henry represented that way, lessens the uniqueness of those who
A) Specialize in those areas &
B) Those who actually can do several different things

I understand its year one of this, however I would hope it makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by Dallascs13; 06-11-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #12
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
Incremental progression. Everyone wants to run these super deep and advanced systems into the game ASAP but the reality is they aren't going to function perfectly early on in most cases (Not a Madden issue a programming issue in general). By introducing them in a non game breaking way if they don't work they can ensure the schemes are balanced and functioning correctly year 1 then in year 2 they can add negative functions to scheme knowing that the system was tested thoroughly in game for a year.
I think you’re giving them too much credit. All they’ve done is add a label to something that’s already in the game, and then tie it a bit to XP. For multiple years every player has a different overall based on the scheme he’s in, even though it never changed his on he field performance.... so they’ve just named it, and put boxes around that... these aren’t even archetypes, they’re literally just XP mods that mean nothing in-game, and have no REAL consequences. When we say scheme fit should matter, we mean a player should have to be in the right scheme to perform. When we here archetype, it SHOULD mean a player is limited in his skills, where madden allows you to upgrade any skill for any player. So we’ll see power backs having a good season, and becoming highly elusive and high juke/spin or Zone coverage cornerbacks turning into elite man defenders.

It’s painting your house’s trim white when your roof is leaking...
Old 06-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
I think you’re giving them too much credit. All they’ve done is add a label to something that’s already in the game, and then tie it a bit to XP. For multiple years every player has a different overall based on the scheme he’s in, even though it never changed his on he field performance.... so they’ve just named it, and put boxes around that... these aren’t even archetypes, they’re literally just XP mods that mean nothing in-game, and have no REAL consequences. When we say scheme fit should matter, we mean a player should have to be in the right scheme to perform. When we here archetype, it SHOULD mean a player is limited in his skills, where madden allows you to upgrade any skill for any player. So we’ll see power backs having a good season, and becoming highly elusive and high juke/spin or Zone coverage cornerbacks turning into elite man defenders.

This is an oversimplifications of what actually has occurred. I'm sure some of the news on what didn't make it in the release this year will eventually will come out and it'll make more sense. Until then I'll stand by what I said. I'll see if I can get John on the record over the next couple weeks to talk about it.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:

This is my nightmares coming true.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #15
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucram7777
This is my nightmares coming true.
From game informer article

Players whose archetype fits the team's scheme get XP bonuses, so they will gain new skill points faster, but there are no penalties for those who don't, and archetypes do not change a player's existing ratings.
Great overall players like Antonio Brown excel in multiple archetypes.
You can apply skill points into any archetype, so if a player doesn't fit the scheme off the bat, you can level the appropriate archetype to eventually make them fit the scheme.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
From game informer article

Players whose archetype fits the team's scheme get XP bonuses, so they will gain new skill points faster, but there are no penalties for those who don't, and archetypes do not change a player's existing ratings.
Great overall players like Antonio Brown excel in multiple archetypes.
You can apply skill points into any archetype, so if a player doesn't fit the scheme off the bat, you can level the appropriate archetype to eventually make them fit the scheme.
NONE of this effects anything that goes on on the field, or helps distinguishes the different skill sets of players. Pretty much any one can do anything. There are players who arent "Great".... yet they are "well rounded" and can excel (Dak Presscott....) which to me is a serious problem...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »