Home

EA Play: Madden 19 Gameplay Impressions

This is a discussion on EA Play: Madden 19 Gameplay Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #17
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: EA Play: Madden 19 Gameplay Impressions

Regarding the QB-specific audible animations; I think this is cool. BUT....
  • I'm worried about how it would be handled for no-huddle. On NCAA 14, there were certain animations at the LOS that would trigger at times (the QB looking towards his receivers to "relay instructions"). This added authenticity...but, they would also trigger at really inopportune times (like when trying to snap the ball with 3 seconds left in the game and no timeouts).
  • I'm skeptical that they can separate these animations between "sim" and "comp" style. We saw last year with the defensive holding animations that animation packages may not be tied into the game styles. I think if they take it out, it will be across the board (I'd love to be wrong about this). That said....
  • I love this as a "governor" for the H2H guys. I know some of them will hate it; but I truly think it is in the best interest of Madden eSports to do this. The watchability of the eCompetitions was horrible last year because from a viewer's perspective, guys were just running the same formation/play over and over...you couldn't see what they were doing to adjust the plays so the entire strategy portion of the viewing experience was gone. So, basically it was watching guys call shotgun/trips, roll outside the pocket and throw bombs a good chunk of the game. It may have done well viewership-wise last year, but I think people are going to begin to tire of the "same ole, same ole", especially with the other eSports being far more diverse and interesting. I just really think that "changing the meta" here would force a dramatic shift in how the game is played and improve the overall brand of the H2H game. If I were running things for EA, I'd take a hard stance on this and force them to adapt; even if you lost a few guys in the process....plenty of others out there to take their places.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #18
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Regarding the QB-specific audible animations; I think this is cool. BUT....
  • I'm worried about how it would be handled for no-huddle. On NCAA 14, there were certain animations at the LOS that would trigger at times (the QB looking towards his receivers to "relay instructions"). This added authenticity...but, they would also trigger at really inopportune times (like when trying to snap the ball with 3 seconds left in the game and no timeouts).
  • I'm skeptical that they can separate these animations between "sim" and "comp" style. We saw last year with the defensive holding animations that animation packages may not be tied into the game styles. I think if they take it out, it will be across the board (I'd love to be wrong about this). That said....
  • I love this as a "governor" for the H2H guys. I know some of them will hate it; but I truly think it is in the best interest of Madden eSports to do this. The watchability of the eCompetitions was horrible last year because from a viewer's perspective, guys were just running the same formation/play over and over...you couldn't see what they were doing to adjust the plays so the entire strategy portion of the viewing experience was gone. So, basically it was watching guys call shotgun/trips, roll outside the pocket and throw bombs a good chunk of the game. It may have done well viewership-wise last year, but I think people are going to begin to tire of the "same ole, same ole", especially with the other eSports being far more diverse and interesting. I just really think that "changing the meta" here would force a dramatic shift in how the game is played and improve the overall brand of the H2H game. If I were running things for EA, I'd take a hard stance on this and force them to adapt; even if you lost a few guys in the process....plenty of others out there to take their places.
To your first point, i would hope they tie it to coaching adjustments for tempo. For kill the clock or regular you have the full animation package, for up tempo/hurry up its toned down to allow to you to get plays off faster.

To your second point i fear the same. As of right now the whole competitive/sim/arcade thing has been simply lip service.

To your third point every year i try to get into online H2H, but every year the same thing pisses me off. The game is fun when it realeses and people are learning it and seeing new things then the game gets cracked. People knowecery cheese play or end up hot routing everyone and basically drawing plays up in the sand.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
Rookie

It depends on how long the QB animation is and if it is the same lengthy action every time. I feel like changing a route or 2 within a play should be quick but switching a play should have more animation because it is a bigger deal.

I will be pretty irritated if there are 5 seconds on the clock and i am in no huddle and try to do a hot route and the QB goes into a 5 second animation. That is unrealistic and actually reduces immersion IMO. Alot of times you see Brady just make a quick hand motion for a hot route that takes less than 1 second.

Has there been any mention of tweaking ID the Mike? I never felt that was fleshed out enough and ended up not using it. Getting to the section to make the ID always gave me problems and i would have to bail out and just snap the ball.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #20
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
As of right now the whole competitive/sim/arcade thing has been simply lip service.

Have they added a lot of "sim" tuning to "sim mode", no...I agree. BUT...you play the other 2 modes and the differences are astonishing. When I play comp mode, I just smh and thank the good lord that they did this...because I would have zero interest in playing a Madden like that for franchise mode.

So, is "sim" everything we want? No...but it could've been a lot worse had they not divided-up the styles.

I don't want to take this thread too far off-topic; but I wanted to at least make that response
Old 06-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #21
MVP

Brooke2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1zzo23
Agreed. Keep it in for the sim game style but take it out for arcade and competitive.
I agree. Have it turned off in competition mode. Everyone wins.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #22
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Clint said there has been no discussions of the sort going on.

Exact quote: I’m not sure of the source of that information, but as of now, we have not had any intentions of removing QB Signature animations.

I am not going to double post, but something I overlooked in the article, PI caused by RPM. If that stays the course, I've been asking that for years.

Last edited by roadman; 06-12-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

Chris, did you feel the new player motion created an advantage to one side of the ball, particularly the offense?
Old 06-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #24
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Clint said there has been no discussions of the sort going on.

Exact quote: Iím not sure of the source of that information, but as of now, we have not had any intentions of removing QB Signature animations.

I am not going to double post, but something I overlooked in the article, PI caused by RPM. If that stays the course, I've been asking that for years.
Well that's good to hear. I hope it stays that way. They just need to go for realism and authenticity. This Madden ball they created can be frustrating when instead of making these guys adjust they cave in or change things to keep the same exploits or lapses in realism going on.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »