Home

Interview with Clint

This is a discussion on Interview with Clint within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Interview with Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by F17
My issue with QB AI in M18 was that they were still near perfect at times. Saying that they will spot an open player quicker just to me says that they will hot the RB in the flat even quicker. Hope I am wrong on that you will see some of the playstyles come through. a bit more gun slinging etc, qbs that love a deep shot. not every one being Alex Smith (who I actually like)

With accuracy, I dont know how it works in SIM, but I would hope that it was a relatively simple process. Theres a ring around the WR that represents the accuracy. the higher the rating the smaller the ring. backfoot - less ball speed, larger circle. heavy pressure the same.

However, I dont think this is the case at all and inaccurate throws stem from dice rolls. which is why you dont get the passes just behind the wr, or too close to the body to RAC, or just off the fingertips. because its perfect or it is awful
Some clarification:
The driving rating for what you noted above lies in the SPC Rating, not die-rolls.
But I agree 100% about inaccurate throws.

The fix:
To get exactly those near misses, it has to be below 65.
- it’s the catch radius around the WR and functions just like a ring (all be it invisible)

The issue:
If you look at any default roster, and to be honest most edited rosters also, players are rated on the high end to generated/trigger the highlight reel catches.

Another problem that never gets talked about when talking about player ratings in relation to gameplay, is that there are two different approaches at play.

1) MUT/Comp play want player ratings to dictate “certain Outcomes”.
- more about absolutes
2) Sim Play wants player ratings to drive “Player Behaviours”.
- a greater spectrum of variation

Because these play styles are on different ends of the spectrum dealing with gameplay, it’s difficult to create a middle ground scenario dealing with some areas.

Example is that the interviewer posed the INT question from a MUT/Comp Play Style perspective with their concerns of too many INT’s by “tall DL/LB’s” up to a certain distance past the LOS.
- Outcome driven

Clint quickly noted that tinkering “Pass Trajectories” incorrectly can destroy the game.
- Some years ago there was an uproar about trajectories coming out of QB hands at the same angle of punts triggering superman jumping LB animations for INT’s. (everyone hated that)

- now Outcome desires may be implying that Trajectories are too low.

**as a Sim player, I still feel there’s too much Punt Trajectory on passes and PAT

This is the conundrum dealing with trying to find balance dealing with gameplay and what the tuning is trying to accomplish.

Bringing this back to the relationship of your post, the player rating levels in the rosters EA releases, are rated/geared more towards MUT/Comp Play Style.
- higher Positional ratings at/or above the “Thresholds” establish for their Play Style
***very important note to consider when watching vids of gameplay on Comp Play Style, which may play a role in what you’re seeing

We can increase the variation of inaccurate throws if a greater number of pass catchers SPC is set to “65” or lower.
- animations are already there/available to expand the context of inaccurate throws at a more palettable “miss-distance”
- EA rosters high ratings just are not allowing use of because “Player Behaviour” is not the main focus with people so enamoured with high OVR’s and ratings.

This is where the ability to “Global” edit would be a God send!!!
#GlobalEditing

Last edited by khaliib; 06-13-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #26
Strategy Over Skills

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
This is where the ability to “Global” edit would be a God send!!!
#GlobalEditing
I imagine PC users will see a global editor eventually. Be nice to see how these changes would affect the gameplay.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #27
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0

I wonder if someone has made a list of the many "features" or "improvements" that developers say are new to a game, that everyone thought was there already.
Two examples: the running back style difference mentioned in this video and the AI pass coverage to mitigate same 3 plays over and over.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #28
MVP

pimpycraig's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F17
My issue with QB AI in M18 was that they were still near perfect at times. Saying that they will spot an open player quicker just to me says that they will hot the RB in the flat even quicker. Hope I am wrong on that you will see some of the playstyles come through. a bit more gun slinging etc, qbs that love a deep shot. not every one being Alex Smith (who I actually like)
Alex Smith led the league last year in deep passing yards according to Pro Football Focus...just sayin
Old 06-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #29
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

I do not believe "realistic" football would be fun in a video game. I do however believe our "perception" of realistic football would be fun in a video game. That is where the issue lies.

Having to run a rushing play after a sack because my QB's arm is too sore to throw, isn't very fun, for example.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I do not believe "realistic" football would be fun in a video game. I do however believe our "perception" of realistic football would be fun in a video game. That is where the issue lies.

Having to run a rushing play after a sack because my QB's arm is too sore to throw, isn't very fun, for example.

So it wouldn't be fun to have to decide which QB to start and play, having a REAL injury system implemented?
Old 06-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
So it wouldn't be fun to have to decide which QB to start and play, having a REAL injury system implemented?
As much as I love diving into player ratings, when I play FIFA I really enjoy the gameplay and atmosphere.

But the interest in dealing with the depth of player ratings at a “micro” level for this game is simply not there.

I just enjoy playing the game of FIFA at a “macro” level.

The same could be said for Madden.
There are a lot of CFM players that just want to play at a macro level without the deep chess match considerations.

Depending on time, I sometimes will fall into this group.
Nothing wrong with greater user customization though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Do you think a real coach thinks it is fun when his starter goes down? He just deals with the cards that he's given. I don't know any coach who thinks it is "fun". Maybe that's a bad word to use, I dunno?
I think your language betrays what it is you want to convey. Injuries and making decisions based on them are not fun. They just happen to create a state of affairs where certain decisions that would not ordinarily be made are now required to be made.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »