Home

Madden NFL 19 Franchise Blog

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19 Franchise Blog within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #137
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Madden NFL 19 Franchise Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
I think the article was released early by mistake. You are correct in that one of the downfalls of Christmas when you know everything your getting for Christmas is you miss out on the excitement of being surprised.
Retweet this all day. Nice analogy.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #138
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Everybody's mad.

You loved it all when it was in the non-EA article. Now EA releases the article, and you're mad.

Seriously, if that article had never been released this thread would have a far more positive tone. So they didn't hold anything back the first time around, that doesn't mean the features you liked before got worse. Damn.

Your words scream for transparency but your actions say hold back. And you wonder why Carlos thinks we're impossible to please.

I scream for significant realistic franchise additions. You're post screams of not understanding some of our frustration with Madden. Just take a look at NBA2K myleague and how much NBA2K seems to add yearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
I think the article was released early by mistake. You are correct in that one of the downfalls of Christmas when you know everything your getting for Christmas is you miss out on the excitement of being surprised.

Problem is, there was nothing in either the blog or the article that made me feel like Christmas.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #139
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
OK, here we go... the real breakdown.

This is using START OF ROOKIE SEASON ages, not draft-day ages, because as far as Madden's aging system goes, the draft and the first game of the season might as well be the same day.

Sample Used: All drafted players who made a 53 man roster, 1995-2017 NFL drafts.
Mean drafted age: 23.20
Median drafted age: 23
Players drafted, 24+ yo: 1,137 (37.1%)
Players drafted, 23 yo: 1,226 (40.0%)
Players drafted, 22 yo: 596 (19.5%)
Players drafted, 21 yo: 100 (3.3%)
Players drafted, 20 yo: 4 (0.13%)
I was looking into this as well and noticed you only have 4 players at 20 years old at the start of the season they were drafted but looking at the drafts on Pro-Football Reference which shows players age as of September 1 for the year they were drafted. Just going back to 2010 I found seven guys who made teams that were 20 at the start of their rookie season. There was another guy (Alex Carte) but I didn't include him because he only played one career game.

JuJu Smith-Schuster (2017)
Kenny Clark (2016)
Danielle Hunter (2015)
Marcus Martin (2014)
Tyron Smith (2011)
Anthony Davis (2010)
Aaron Hernandez (2010)

Am I missing something there?
Old 06-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #140
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I scream for significant realistic franchise additions. You're post screams of not understanding some of our frustration with Madden. Just take a look at NBA2K myleague and how much NBA2K seems to add yearly.
You misunderstand me. We're not in disagreement as far as CFM needing more.

What I'm saying is that, on the whole, people were really happy with the franchise additions back when it was an external article. When that article is expanded on in an EA article, people are hating on it. Same info, different reaction.

We knew 2 weeks ago what this article was going to be. I guess people really had their heart set on having some final surprise, but that doesn't mean what you were happy about 2 weeks ago suddenly sucks.

Now maybe you're one of those who **** on the original article, and that's fine. If you're not happy, you're not happy, I get it. I'm criticizing those who are changing their tune just because this article reiterated what we knew before. I think most of us who are honest with ourselves expected that.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #141
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Everybody's mad.

You loved it all when it was in the non-EA article. Now EA releases the article, and you're mad.

Seriously, if that article had never been released this thread would have a far more positive tone. So they didn't hold anything back the first time around, that doesn't mean the features you liked before got worse. Damn.

Your words scream for transparency but your actions say hold back. And you wonder why Carlos thinks we're impossible to please.
Wrong.

People were optimistic, but needed more details. Some of this stuff simply won't work well on their own without other additions that weren't initially announced. For example, what difference does team-building and scheme-constructing make if the #1 way you acquire the players, the draft, doesn't have a scouting system that goes beyond "We'll tell you his top three attributes"? Now it's even MORE difficult to get a good grasp on the talent level for a receiver because there are more stats you're never going to be privy to until you draft him.

So yeah, there is a shift in tone. But just because you don't understand the reason for the shift doesn't mean it's unreasonable. If EA had just released this article and said "This is what you get," we'd still have a lot of questions and concerns.

Maybe I'm wrong, because I clearly don't have the most negative outlook compared to others in this thread, but for me there was still some stuff that needed tweaking that apparently isn't going to get tweaked at all. Hence the mild disappointment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #142
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I just tweeted to John and Ben about the 24 year-olds, hopefully they can tune that before lockdown.

Oftentimes there’s this quick reaction to pounce on an aspect of the game and ask the devs to altar that aspect before some critical thinking dealing with the OVR picture.

This actually works in favor of of another layer of the Team Managment decision making.
1) They use “Age” as a component of Regression.
- some POS start the regression around age 26.

If it’s one of those positions where age 26 is the cliff, you now must decide if 2 yrs is worth a draft pick, esp a high one, on a player who will hit that decline cliff faster than a younger lower rated player needing development.

You know how folks are enamoured with high OVR/ratings, so they think they hit it big by drafting that 24 yr old 83 OVR Power Back with a 1st Rd contract, not realizing he’s hitting that decline cliff in 2 yrs.
- ratings start to dip
- injury factor is increased
- etc...

Never mind that 21 yr old scouted 4th Rd RB, that could’ve been developed.

Again, another layer dealing with decision making.
I like it.

Another thing is this may be a way of cycling players out as 430 new players come in every new draft.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #143
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

I consider franchise improvements to be two-pronged:
  1. the gameplay improvements
  2. the front-end franchise mode improvements
Clearly, both got a ton of love this year. I honestly would've been happy with just the gameplay improvements (the fixed bug on CPU play-calling in of itself is nearly worth the price of admission for me personally) but then they added a ton of depth to the franchise mode itself. While the custom draft classes do nothing for me, the scheme/archetype systems along with the improved regression should mean a ton of variance in how one's franchise will unfold. I can't wait to do some test sims to see how leagues look 10+ years in.

(One question: does anyone know definitively if the XP sliders have been retained?)
Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #144
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Oftentimes there’s this quick reaction to pounce on an aspect of the game and ask the devs to altar that aspect before some critical thinking dealing with the OVR picture.

This is signature/tweet-worthy right here....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »