Home

Madden NFL 19 Franchise Blog

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19 Franchise Blog within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #305
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 19 Franchise Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrules
What I wish they'd bring back is the oldschool Madden 08 player archetype symbol when you're using that player...

There was nothing better than handing the ball off to LaDanian Tomlinson and seeing that nasty lightening bolt under his feet, knowing he was elusive as hell. Or, lining up on defense with Brian Urlacher and seeing the brick wall defender symbol.

Was it a little arcade like? Sure, but it still linked my brain to their personality when I was using them, especially back in the days where I didn't know players as well as I do now.

Visual aesthetics FTW
YESSS. And IIRC, another positive was that if a player had a certain role, it affected their Importance (IMP) rating, which I understand is a quantitative measure of how a team values a player. I don't recall if Madden currently uses that rating now though.

As it stands, if there were two relatively equal 75 OVR QBs, with one being 21 years old and the other being 30 years old, the AI would probably pick-up the younger QB because they're probably cheaper and because I assume the AI has at least been built programmed to prefer younger players.

But if that 30 year old QB had a Mentor role, maybe the Mentor role can boost the IMP rating and be more valued to a team in free agency.

If they returned to that player archetype/badge system, they could really really provide some flavors to how AI coaches and GMs build their roster. I mean, just take QBs for an example. Obviously, all teams would want to have the Franchise QB... but then from there, other teams prefer to only carry 2 QBs (1 franchise QB and 1 serviceable back-up), while others like 3 (1 franchise QB, 1 mentor, 1 QB of the future).

They've kind of got a good thing going on with making scheme-specific teams. You'll see more Zone CBs going to Tampa 2 zone coverage style defenses because of it. The Frank Gores of the world would be less likely to sign with a Run N Gun team than a power running team. But I think the player archetype/badge/weapon role system would be a great way to provide flavor and preferences to AI roster decisions.

In all honesty, the IMP rating and how a team values players shouldn't just be on how well they fit into their system... it should take past production into account. It should take their current ratings and future production into account. It should take the current roster into account. It should take age into account.

Past Production can be expressed through Player Archetypes. If a CB balls out enough to earn a Shutdown Cornerback role, that should increase their value.

Players should progress/regress in an organic way through in-season training and based on who their teammates/coaches are. A player shouldn't get better because he had a good year. It's the opposite--a player has a good year because he got better.

I'm pretty sure that the AI can be programmed to take all of this into consideration.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #306
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I expect Haumiller to a great job in building Franchise in Madden up to be a strong experience. I don't think though, that the hardcore franchise heads are ever going to get the development team to abandon the production leading to progression model though.

IMO, you aren't going to convince them that behind the scenes training and practice, despite it's authenticity, is better than letting what happens when people are actually playing the game be the primary determining factor in developing a player.

People shouldn't give up trying, but just saying, "real NFL replication" or mentioning what other games do isn't going to move the needle, IMO, some mechanism has to be presented to them that will show them that the authentic method can be-the dreaded "F" word-, more fun.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #307
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
In sports games, I think the bold should be tied to playing time and not production. Playing time should be one factor in progression. Stats based just completely mucks up any kind of CFM realism.
The tricky part to that though is... what about QBs who sit for a year and learn? Or what happens if a player starts as a rookie and does terrible... or they just do okay (by rookie QB standards).

In thinking about it, the change to Player Development changing every year is a great idea. I always use Alex Smith as an example and I think, on paper, his unusual career could actually kind of be recreated in Madden. When he first came into the league, there was so much hope and he was probably rated in the mid/high 70s OVR, and if that same 2011 Alex Smith was in this year's Madden, his developmental trait was probably Quick.

We know, in hindsight, the 49ers mishandled him and he had a season ending injury, he was deemed a bust... In this year's Madden, the failed years would probably downgrade his development to Normal and he wouldn't progress as much anymore. As such, he probably would've topped out in the low 80s OVR until he hit old age/released to free agency and fell out of Madden existence.

But we know that Harbaugh came, the team chose to stick with him, and he had a career resurgence with both SF and KC. It depends on how Madden handles progression and regression, but they promise that good years could conceivably help a player's development trait. So conceivably, if this career path happened in Madden, his developmental trait would've probably increased to Quick again, and he could progress to the mid/high 80s OVR... depending on when regression starts to kick in.

Of course, this is on paper. I actually have no idea how strongly Madden's developmental trait and progression models work.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #308
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarmonio8920
The tricky part to that though is... what about QBs who sit for a year and learn? Or what happens if a player starts as a rookie and does terrible... or they just do okay (by rookie QB standards).
For QB's that sit for a year, his progression would be determined by things other than stats and game playing time. In a realistic potential progression system, the QB sitting and learning his first few years would still progress by variables outside of STATS/Goals.

Same if they do terrible on the field, or OK on the field.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #309
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
For QB's that sit for a year, his progression would be determined by things other than stats and game playing time. In a realistic potential progression system, the QB sitting and learning his first few years would still progress by variables outside of STATS/Goals.

Same if they do terrible on the field, or OK on the field.
It's hard for madden fans to realize this because the other factors that should tie into player development are completely absent from the game. It's not as simple as "the guy who doesn't play just regresses or vice versa". The QB that is sitting behind the starter will develop based on many factors.

1. His potential and ability
2. His work ethic
3. His coaching staff and how they train/practice players
4. Injuries
5. Mentoring from locker room leaders that might affect team progressions
6. Dedication to film study

just to name a few here
Old 06-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #310
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypowers88
I understand that negativity can be a downer, but I happen to think that there are a lot of well founded, legitimate complaints in here. So if that's all you see here, I'd say the problem is you, not the forum. If we can't discuss the features until they're released, what's the point of this thread? What if these features dictate whether I want to purchase at all? Why is it our fault for assessing the information we're being given? Or is it only a problem if it's a negative assessment? To me, it seems like everyone here is extremely passionate about the game, and I think suggesting none of them even want to play the game and just want to complain is well... let's call it disappointing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app

I'd say I was seeing what I considered negativity due to the fact I couldn't relate to the issues being brought up. There was a lot of "I don't like this...." but without a lot of substance. As more and more have posted I am getting a bigger picture about the "complaints" and I do get quite a few of them now. I just need more information with stuff sometimes.

Also just to clarify I never said nobody could discuss features or issues, put fault on anyone for their opinions, or said negative assessments weren't allowed. I actually was stating what I deemed a fact about what is happening currently in the Madden forums and asking relevant questions for those who had issues so I could better understand. It seems you may have taken what I said as so sort of attack. If so that wasn't the case. I think my track record in these forums speak for itself and I'm always chill with people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Whilst this may seem true superficially ( wrong word but a better one won't come to me atm) I believe the result is a positive for all , including potentially the dev team should they be reading

Obviously comments like " this is trash" etc offer nothing of value but equally very little is generally gained from taking things as they are as perfect

Many heads dissecting features , identifying flaws and offering solutions (both long term and band aids) not only help the game progress, but also help users to get the best experience they can from what is in place

Yep I was seeing a lot of the complaint whit no substance posts (in the Madden forum in general) and this is why I asked the question to dig deeper. 100% agree with the flaw and solutions. I'm all about the community helping solve issues.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #311
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15

Re: progression for backups

How about a system where the backups progression is tied to the starter's performance in some way? A rookie QB watching Tom Brady for a year would get a bigger boost than if he sat behind Ryan Fitzpatrick. Of course, the progression would be based on several other factors, but starter performance could still be part of the formula. At least this way the user is rewarded for playing well with the starters with a progression bump foe the backups.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #312
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

My big concern is the schemes having hardcoded archetypes. I get it for preexisting coaches but what if I want a spread offense with a strong arm QB vs a Scrambler? I want to be able to set that as a custom coach as opposed to getting a scheme thats close enough. Also as you can see I'm a Pats fan and Bill changes his scheme yearly to fit talent and I fear it won't be well represented in game

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »