Home

Improving upon the new Franchise features moving forward

This is a discussion on Improving upon the new Franchise features moving forward within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

This is NOT a wishlist thread. This is for ideas on how to build upon the features that are being added in this year. Here are some of my ideas.

Draft

Custom draft classes are a welcome addition, but combined with the barebones scouting and lack of randomness in the custom classes there is still work to be done.

1. Add a random storyline generator to custom classes like NBA 2k. This allows online leagues to use custom classes without the fear of certain users having an advantage.

2. Rework scouting from the ground up. Scrap scouting 3 ratings and getting a round grade. Add scouting periods where your scouts give you feedback on players strengths and weaknesses. Give NFL comparisons, give boom or bust potential, work ethic, footwork, etc.

3. For offline add cpu draft day trades, this is a huge part of the NFL draft that is not represented in the game.

New Menus/Snapshots

This looks much better than the bland white backgrounds we are used to.

Add to this by giving a complete inside the stadium feel. Locker room, offices, training area, etc. Use snapshot from around the league to give us a complete news section with screenshots and stories from each game.

Captains

This could be something that could tie in perfectly to a team chemistry/leadership/focus system that makes these players important. If they get injured, cut or traded team morale could take a hit.

Archetypes

Great idea on paper, execution seems to be lacking.

There are several flaws with this system as is. For example, scheme should be tied to playbook. There is nothing stopping me from selecting a 4-3 as my scheme but then running with a 3-4 playbook and just setting my scheme for the xp boost.

Players should take a ratings hit (and a morale hit if such a system were to exist) if they are being played in a scheme that doesn't suit them. There is no downside, only upside (which is never good for balance).

There needs to be more variety in these schemes. Some positions require multiple archetypes to be successful (HB, WR).

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Improving upon the new Franchise features moving forward

Draft
Add mock drafts so we know where players are projected to go
Add a randomize rating feature to created draft classes

Front Office
In Madden 19, if you win a Super Bowl, a Super Bowl Trophy is displayed in your coach's office.

In order to build upon this, they could add a trophy room to this (similar to old NCAA's) they display every award or trophy your team has won.
After selecting the trophy or award, a news story box score will display the story behind that award.
I think this could also be used to build an interactive Hall of Fame as well

Stats
With the new and improved background and player cards, they can add detailed career stats to a players card with items that include all their awards and teams they have played for and how they were acquired.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:54 AM   #3
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

I posted these in other threads about adding a coaching carousel tying into and expanding on schemes and player types......

Post 1: All 32 team control and menu option

SN: I like how schemes and player types look as a foundation. This may end up opening up all 32 team control, if playbooks/Schemes are tied to teams/coaches via an option menu like 2k, so that we can switch freely without affecting how each team plays regardless of user or cpu, it should work. They could automatically update when new coaches are hired regardless of whether they keep the same scheme but have their own playbook/philosophy, etc. Then it will last throughout each CCM 20plus yr cycle.

Post 2: Progression/Regression and Goals

Exactly. This essentially could kill two birds with one stone and help franchise in the long run. The coaching carousel can play into schemes and the way players progress can be rewritten.

If rookies were judged based off of other rookies/players at their same age/position/Player type as the #1 factor.... Then, they can be compared to the top players at their respective pos., still accounting for player type, #2 factor....And then scheme fit/coaching tree skill/ Season Awards, could be the 3rd and final factor.

We could have a better progression/regression system that makes sense that way; and also doesnt seem to hard to implement. Goals could also be redone to fit in with schemes and player types on the depth chart. They can still be stat based like they are; but more in line with what each player realistically does numbers wise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON

Last edited by GoJags904; 06-15-2018 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Rework scouting from the ground up. Scrap scouting 3 ratings and getting a round grade. Add scouting periods where your scouts give you feedback on players strengths and weaknesses. Give NFL comparisons, give boom or bust potential, work ethic.
I can live with 3 ratings. Not the top 3, but 3 total and a draft grade. The scouting accuracy should be tied to the actual scout

. I think non ratings information should be scout-able. Scouting college scheme and player archetype. College stats should be available to gauge productivity in the scheme.

Rather than word games and comparisons which will not stand the test of time (thinking back to HC 09 player comparisons which made sense in 09 but 2 years later make 0 sense because you can’t recall how good the player was after 2008).

Quote:
Archetypes

Great idea on paper, execution seems to be lacking.
I’m not sure what more to ask for until I spend some time with the game.

Quote:
There are several flaws with this system as is. For example, scheme should be tied to playbook. There is nothing stopping me from selecting a 4-3 as my scheme but then running with a 3-4 playbook and just setting my for the xp boost.
Scheme should be tied to assistant coaches/coordinators, and so should playbooks. There should be some way to designate and lock playbooks and play calling for head coaches and coordinators.

Quote:
Players should take a ratings hit (and a morale hit if such a system were to exist) if they are being played in a scheme that doesn't suit them. There is no downside, only upside (which is never good for balance). .

People do not run slower or lose strength because of scheme changes however I agree with an immaterial (5-10 point cumulative) morale and AWR hit for moving into a scheme that is not your “top 3” scheme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 06-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

For me, it starts and ends with scouting. I've always wanted coordinators and assistant coaches back in the game, but I'd gladly kick that can down the road further just to get a scouting system that isn't as shallow, watered-down, and useless as the one we have now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

The addition of custom draft classes is huge, hopefully the feature lets us be as specific or broad as we want. If it is like many fear and we have to set exact ratings, then draft class creators will not have much fun using their own classes as they'll more likely than not remember the gems, busts, and loads of other players. Obviously, if this is not in, this is one of the first things they need to expand on moving forward. Let us have a variety of ways to create players in the class.

Method 1 is what we already suspect. You set everything up exactly how they are rated and get to choose their projected round.

Method 2 would be to allow us to select ranges for the ratings. If I am making my QBs one night in a class I may want QB A's throw power to fall between 80 and 95 while QB B can fall anywhere from 45-99. This will method combined with method 1 will allow you to make guys who are exactly where you want them or have guys that can have as much flexibility as you want and in one franchise they may be a round 1 pick and another they may be a round 2 pick.

Method 3. You pick the player's archetype and simply select what rounds he can possibly generate into. A 1-Undrafted can be anything. A player who you select to be a 2-4 has the potential to be really good, but it is not guaranteed. A great complement to this would be to allow us to weight the rounds. I may want to make Player A have an 80% chance of being a top 10 pick, but also have a 10% chance to be a round 2-3 pick, and finally a 10% chance to be undrafted. Now each class has even more variety.

As for scouting for the draft, what I want would really require the ratings in game to be hidden and not known. I'd prefer a method where you have a scouting department that you can hire and fire or fill with a number of firms that you can hire and fire. Either method can result in the user relying on a department who doesn't know it all. Maybe EA set it up to where the best and most expensive firm/department is only 80% accurate. They may get most projections right, but they are not exact like the numbers we have are now. This creates a fog of war that real GMs face daily.

With this system I'd love to see scouting reports on every player you wanted scouted and had the budget to scout and these reports just gave you the measurables plus their projections. For example,

"Quarterback Tommy John from Indiana has a very strong arm and the potential to be a top 5 quarterback in the league. His work ethic is second to none, however he has as history of injury issues on his throwing arm. His football IQ is above average for a draft prospect and he'd need a few years to sit and learn, but were he to stay healthy and go into the right environment, any team would be happy with what he turned into."

This report lets you know he is a strong armed QB who isn't ready to play day 1. He isn't durable, but he is a hard worker and will progress. If you have accurate scouts you may take the risk of picking him if you have the right situation to sit him behind a mentor. It doesn't guarantee he will be great and that alone means we can finally get busts in a realistic manner, but it also shows the probability of him being a great QB is high. Compare it to a report like this:

"Quarterback Malik Rosier has deceptive speed, but a terribly inaccurate arm. He projects as a backup QB at best. He may be able to throw the ball 70 yards, but he'll even have trouble hitting grass with his accuracy. He is durable, but not much positive can be said about him."

and you'll see that Tommy John is easily the better QB now, projects to be a way better QB in the future, but nothing is set in stone just like real life.

And to sort of tie this into the addition of new ratings, I'd actually like ratings to be hidden and for all players in the league to have reports like that. Or, at the very least, I'd like ratings to have options and you could hide them completely, have them be 100% correct, or have them be what your scouts say. The latter option means you'll still see players at XX OVR, but that may be off by a few points or more depending on how well your department scouts and how recently you scouted that player. If you hid ratings completely, you'd just be going off of reports for every transaction and the great GMs would look even better when they have a department that gets it right more often than not.

― Plato
Old 06-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
MVP

HARLEE23's Arena

OVR: 13

Certain positions don't need to be tied to "scheme fits". Like wide receiver. There's so much variety at the position that teams adapt to fit their scheme to the talent. I don't like seeing just one archetype being recommended for a receiver.

Even defensively, a team like the Patriots are very multiple. They have different personnel sets on the DL that allows them to be very multiple.

Teams obviously have certain prototypes for the position but will adapt to the talent, so I wouldn't want to see ratings decrease for receivers and what not. A 3-4 DE playing as a 4-3 end? That's different.

I'm also afraid the AI controlled teams will fill up their rosters with players from only that specific type. For positions like QB, sometimes RB, OL, and others that is great but a position like wide receiver you don't want a group that all play the same (adding the slot WR role makes that a little better but still).
NCAAF- Ohio State
NCAAB- UK
Wrestling Fan

The Ace- Coaching Career of Jordan James
Old 06-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz

There needs to be more variety in these schemes. Some positions require multiple archetypes to be successful (HB, WR).
Absolutely , whilst this is generally a decent feature but they should have stuck with the same format as previously used under schemes , with some changes , for example

WR1 ...... possession

WR2 .......speed

WR3 ....... slot

Though implementing the logic for this regarding CFM usage in draft/FA may be much harder

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »