Home

Which Madden is considered the best overall game of this gen?

This is a discussion on Which Madden is considered the best overall game of this gen? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which current gen Madden is the best
Madden 25 15 13.51%
Madden 15 7 6.31%
Madden 16 22 19.82%
Madden 17 25 22.52%
Madden 18 42 37.84%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #41
Rookie

ShaneTheMaster's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Which Madden is considered the best overall game of this gen?

Madden 2k5
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

I don't understand this poll....where is Madden 19 and Madden 20?
Old 08-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 0

I'll always have a soft spot for Madden NFL 16. It was my first Madden of this generation and, like others have said, its gameplay holds up very well and in some regards has yet to be topped by its successors. M16 had impressive CPU QB scrambling AI, realistic fatigue and penalties, and, overall, a nice balance between offense and defense; I had my share of low-scoring defensive battles, shootouts, and everything in between.

I had a lot of fun with M17 as well. The Franchise additions they made that cycle (full player editing, practice squads, in-game ticker) were invaluable. The lack of practice squads, in particular, make M16's Franchise mode difficult to go back to for extended periods of time. Other welcome additions in M17 included updated equipment and Brandon Davis/Charles Gaudin commentary. However, gameplay seemed a bit wonkier, with CPU QB AI regressing noticeably.

As for M18 and M19, I found the gameplay for both to be excessively janky, buggy and wonky. M19 in particular marked the least time I had spent with a Madden title in about five years. However, I would like to give M19 a fair shake one day with iMac's trait edits. By the time I became aware of those it was pretty late in that game's cycle.

The early returns for M20 seem promising. Although Franchise is still missing some big things we've been waiting years for (assistant coaches and historical stat tracking, for example), gameplay feels much improved from M19. For the most part, the growing pains associated with Frostbite and RPM seem to have been mitigated. Provided this year's patches don't detract from the game's strengths or introduce too many unintended consequences, I can easily see M20 sliding in with M16 and M17 as my favorites from this generation.

Also, M16 and M17 had great soundtracks. Though, I realize that's pretty subjective.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions

Last edited by ripcandlestickpark; 08-09-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:42 AM   #44
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLaguna
I don't understand this poll....where is Madden 19 and Madden 20?
It's a two-year old thread that got bumped.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:28 AM   #45
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0

For me, M17. But that came after a two year break and I could fully appreciate having a fresh football game. Looks like I need to take another two years off.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
For me, M17. But that came after a two year break and I could fully appreciate having a fresh football game. Looks like I need to take another two years off.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Nah, Madden 20 is incredible, come on in, the waters fine!!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #47
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Which Madden iFor me thes considered the best overall game of this gen?

For me, the Frostbite engine has ruined the game a bit, I really don't think it works for football, ask the people who used to love Battlefield what Frostbite did do that game, it's a glitchy mess. I hate to compare, but it's the same engine, and Frostbite historically is buggy and glitchy. When 16 was on the IGNITE engine, I don't remember these issues, with glitches, end game brain dead A.I., animations and collision detection and physics going backwards. Madden 16 is the best for me. 17 a close second.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #48
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

I voted M16 in the poll, which I based purely on gameplay enjoyment and not presentation or franchise or anything else. Slight tweaks on All-Pro could give you solid competition in CPU vs HUM franchise if you stayed away from cheese... mobile QBs could give you nightmares.. it was just the best combination of respectable fun/challenge levels with the least amount of on-field frustrations.

My son got M17 as a gift and the new Franchise stuff intrigued me at first... but I remember being underwhelmed by the CPU AI, which seemed to take a noticeable regression on offense compared to M16. By that point I was probably a bit burned out from playing M16 well into the following summer, so I never really gave M17 much of a shot.

My memories of M18 is it being no better than M17 at first blush... and then a ton of patches... and then spending hours and hours reading and contributing to slider threads from Josh and Armor and the gang. Eventually got a good amount of CFM enjoyment from it... the March or April after it friggin released. So very very frustrating at first but finally blossomed into something decent.

I bought a 12 month Origin, partially to support Madden19 returning to PC and partially to play the last two games in Mass Effect. Probably got more time from the ME and BF games. Nothing struck me as terribly wrong with M19, by the time I got around to playing it, the game seemed better then M18 did before all the patches... But I only lasted about three seasons of a CFM before I shelved it when something shiny distracted my gaming attention.

M20 looks promising... but have only touched it twice for a grand total of four games. Initial impressions is that it's quicker and snappier then the prior Frostbite games... pass trajectories are improved. But the CPU AI doesn't seem to be terribly improved, even buggier than M18/19 in areas. So the jury will remain out for another patch or two.

EDIT: Don't think I ever owned M15... and I eventually bought M25 used as a compliment to NCAA14, but never really did anything with it and just kept on playing NCAA14.

Last edited by Nunyerbiz; 08-15-2019 at 02:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »