Home

Shopmaster Interview with Ben Haumiller Part 2

This is a discussion on Shopmaster Interview with Ben Haumiller Part 2 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 22: 11 Features to Improve Stadium Creator
MXGP 2021 Review
Football Manager 22 Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #17
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Shopmaster Interview with Ben Haumiller Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_O_B_27
Highlights

1. Draft takes place in fictional city, your selected player magically appears on screen in full uniform
2. Ben admits they are WOEFULLY behind on contracts
3. Ben admits they are WOEFULLY behind on offering roles such as coordinators
4. No new Super Bowl presentation
5. Talks about the new depth chart positions
6. Formation Subs override packages then depth chart
7. No update on formation subs not working in custom playbooks
8. 100% Scheme Fit DOESN'T EQUAL a +5 Overall Boost Across the Board
9. Ben wishes they could build in something that takes how long a team has been together
10.The game will automatically make sure your Power HB is in Power HB Formations, and your Scat/Receiving Back will be in the Proper formations as well
11. Companion App needs to get stronger, not there yet to do everything in the game, in the app
12. Ben iterates they are "FRANCHISE GUYS" even though it may seem they aren't at times.
Well, I appreciate the honesty and contrition. I've been frustrated for a lack of that in recent years. At least we can cross our fingers and hope that some of these get into the game in future years. Points 2 & 3 are way way up there on my list.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #18
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by texranger
What gets me is...all the stuff that's been TAKEN out of Franchise over the years.

For example, Remember the "training camp mini drills"? Or the Tony Bruno radio show? Or "highlights" from other games (gotta go a long way back for that one...on the Sega Genesis)? or somewhere in Franchise mode you could see who won the Super Bowl each year in YOUR Franchise (as well as previous winners prior to that Madden version).

I'm missing several others I'm sure...and I know it wouldn't be the same in today modern Madden...but can you imagine an update to some of those features (and others I know I'm forgetting) today?

The other thing I'm worried about is...Well I hope the PC version isn't a "stripped" down version of the Console version. I don't get the impression that it is....but this is EA we're talking about....

"Oh yeah, guys, umm, BTW the PC version has exhibition games only"...Gulp...lol

I would like to see it confirmed that the PC version is the full version

Just sayin...
Others know more about the background details, I'm sure. But when things moved from the PS2 to the PS3 (and XBOX to 360), the game was basically torn to the ground. Everything at had been done, everything that had existed, was no longer valid. They rebuilt it from the ground up, which took three years to get an even adequate product, and apparently there are reasons behind the scenes where things that to us seem VERY simple and minor are somehow so complicated and resource consumptive that they don't have space for them any more, or at least thats been the excuse.

But having said all of that....come on. Its been 12 years, and we're most of the way through TWO console cycles. I have a difficult time believing that in all that time, no one has been able to figure out a way to integrate everything back into the game.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #19
Rookie

smace767's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
The biggest thing Iíll take from this:

We have the right guy finally leading franchise. Ben is a class act and his passion is something that was sorely needed. This is his first year with franchise so Iím excited to see what he brings.
The same team from last year worked this release Iím pretty sure. Ben was on the team for a few years and Rex still worked on 19.

If they change vision or focus, next release is where that will be seen.

SOS (5 release veteran) --Oakland Raiders

10yard Fight (rookie release)-- Detriot Lions
Old 06-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 0

Super bummed about contracts. Like, how do you even provide a franchise mode if your player contracts aren't right?

Literally dumbfounded. They've added a ton of cool stuff, but that 1 thing is SO confusing.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #21
Rookie

Ben's the new lead, yes? I haven't bought a Madden in a couple years, but will this year, and I'll reserve judgement on the direction of the team until next year's edition.

Like, okay... figuring out the best algorithms for player progression and team-building AI... that might take some thinking. I won't be overly critical in that regard with this new team. I guess just to chime in and vent some disappointment about quality-of-life type of stuff:

I think they really need to just think of ways for CFM to refer back to itself. What do I mean? I mean that when we play a game, there needs to be a pop-up graphic every so often of pertinent things... playoff ramifications... important upcoming games... Bring up stats of players who are doing well/poorly. All the things that the statisticians think about as important to tell during actual games.

If years pass, I want to be able to get a sense of history. If I'm playing as the Browns for the next ten years and he's balling out, show me where Baker Mayfield is on the history books. Give me player comparisons. If he's getting close to breaking a record, show me.

If a new dynasty is blossoming, show me stats of how many Super Bowls they've won vs. other teams... If a team is in the top 5 offense every year for the last five years, share that information with me somehow.

All the stats are in the system and are trackable. I think they should just assign a guy to use the stats and figure out different great things to highlight in-game. I once drafted a rookie RB who was a model of consistency... he had a Curtis Martin type of career and had 1000 yards every year for like 9 straight years. If in he breaks off a big run in-game, show me infographics of interesting tidbits.

Just my two cents... Let me know of interesting things that happen within the franchise mode. Otherwise, I'm just playing through the games and players come in and out and I don't care about them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #22
Strategy Over Skills

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by smace767
The same team from last year worked this release I’m pretty sure. Ben was on the team for a few years and Rex still worked on 19.

If they change vision or focus, next release is where that will be seen.
No. In the interview he said this was his first year in the franchise world - 20:38 in the video.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #23
Rookie

YaBarber's Arena

Isn’t John White able to update and tune the CFM to his liking ? If yes, what is stopping them from tuning contracts to make players ask for realistic deals ? Or adding better logic to every aspect of the mode via tuners/patches

Last edited by YaBarber; 06-16-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBarber
Isnít John White able to update and tune the CFM to his liking ? If yes, stopping them from tuning contracts to make players ask for realistic deals ? Or adding better logic to every aspect of the mode via tuners/patches
Itís not a tuning thing. The contract system is pretty broke in the back end and needs a ground up rebuild.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »