Home

Shopmaster Interview with Ben Haumiller Part 2

This is a discussion on Shopmaster Interview with Ben Haumiller Part 2 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Shopmaster Interview with Ben Haumiller Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackBucks
The contract issue removes free agency. Very few players even hit FA. You have to build your team like you are Ted Thompson former GM of the Packers. Players sign for peanuts.

I don't understand how it would be any difficult at all to increase the % that players sign for. A higher % will force the cpu to let players hit FA.

I feel that most devs or even indie devs could fix the contract issue in a day. Not expecting it to be perfect but just increase the amount players sign for.

Maybe this can be modded in the PC version?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 0

Anything that makes it more difficult to retain players would be a welcome change really. It's just way to easy to keep your key guys.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #43
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Hi, my name is Debbie and I'm a downer, not to take anything away from what Ben was able to accomplish in NCAA Football's Dynasty mode but let's not forget Josh Looman was the architect of the glory years of PS2 era Franchise mode and HC09, yet gave us Connected Careers mode. What I've seen the last decade plus is that the in spite of whatever bonafides any given person(s) may have, at the end of the day it can only impact Madden in such a way as EA Tib allows or sees fit.

In a discussion, some gamers and I were trying to recall what nonfootball type features or whatnot, were in NCAA Football from 2005 next-gen until its' last release, in comparison to Madden in that same time frame. I think Ben did some good things for emulating real NCAA Football in Dynasty mode, as well as Looman did for real NFL in HC09 and older Madden franchise mode but the difference thus far in Madden seems to be EA Tib's interest in EA/Madden Football being its' own unique version of football, with NFL branding. Imo, until that changes, anyone they bring in, in almost any position, is limited in how much football authenticity they can deliver in Madden.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:09 AM   #44
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Hi, my name is Debbie and I'm a downer, not to take anything away from what Ben was able to accomplish in NCAA Football's Dynasty mode but let's not forget Josh Looman was the architect of the glory years of PS2 era Franchise mode and HC09, yet gave us Connected Careers mode. What I've seen the last decade plus is that the in spite of whatever bonafides any given person(s) may have, at the end of the day it can only impact Madden in such a way as EA Tib allows or sees fit.

In a discussion, some gamers and I were trying to recall what nonfootball type features or whatnot, were in NCAA Football from 2005 next-gen until its' last release, in comparison to Madden in that same time frame. I think Ben did some good things for emulating real NCAA Football in Dynasty mode, as well as Looman did for real NFL in HC09 and older Madden franchise mode but the difference thus far in Madden seems to be EA Tib's interest in EA/Madden Football being its' own unique version of football, with NFL branding. Imo, until that changes, anyone they bring in, in almost any position, is limited in how much football authenticity they can deliver in Madden.
I'm going to have to pull a tverts here and be real vague, but there's a world of difference between the two circumstances you're describing. Night and day.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #45
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I'm going to have to pull a tverts here and be real vague, but there's a world of difference between the two circumstances you're describing. Night and day.
Fair enough but even going beyond Looman specifically, my main point is that this is current Madden, not another game and it's been proven time and again, individual resumes haven't been a bellwether for Madden. Kolbe Launchbaugh, Cam Weber, physicists, Larry Richart, Mike Young, Scantlebury, etc yet Madden has still been EA Football the last 14 years. With Young specifically, I still remember him actually admitting that gamers want presentation like the real networks broadcast for M12, delivering that but then saying the opposite for M13 and going back to that beyond stuff.

What I'm referring to is way more of a defense of Ben than any criticism because whenever the masses perceive him as THE guy over CFM, IF that still doesn't translate into authenticity for the mode, like it did for Dynasty mode when he was THE guy, Ben would likely be blamed. However I see it differently based on what I've seen play out time and again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #46
Pro

briz1046's Arena

OVR: 0

A repeated refrain in these forums relates to features not being introduced or expanded upon because to do so would not be ' fun' for the user , defining fun in a very narrow sense implying a need to supply almost instant gratification to the user

I think this is doing the video game audience a major disservice

Think of the movie industry , a media competing with video games for the leisure time of a similar , if not the same target audience

Sure they offer up light comedy and blockbuster super hero films but equally more thoughtful films , broadly under the umbrella entertainment , could a film like ' schindlers list ' be defined as fun ? Probably not , yet people flocked to see it , it won countless awards and remains popular across all age groups

People engage in hobbies , for their own fun , often involving more 'hard work' than their regular day job . Think gardening, why spend hours digging planting and tending plants in your spare time , if it's not ' fun' ?

People's definition of what us fun to them varies to a massive degree and to pigeon hole every body into one narrow definition does the audience an injustice
Old 06-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #47
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
Me personally, I am getting tired of the excuses. I know he didn't use the excuse of resources/dev team size in this specific instance but this has been the madden dev team go to excuse for years.

Madden makes hundred of millions of dollars for EA every year (don't let them lie to you). Why else would they host madden bowls and other tournaments with cash rewards. This game is turning a profit literally every single year. I am not even get started on how much ultimate team brings in for them.

If EA wasn't so greedy and just increased the dev team and resource money for just one cycle I am sure they could gain ground on knocking out several legacy issues such as contracts. They would not even come close to taking a loss for that one dev cycle.

Honestly I am super on the fence about buying this year (haven't missed a year in almost 22 years). I am thinking about speaking with my wallet for a change. I roll my eyes everytime I hear the resources financials excuse. There is absolutely now reason on this generation of consoles the highest grossing American sports game, and second most grossing sports game overall should have a franchise mode light years behind other games.

Ben may very well care, burn EA absolutely does not and they have final say. As long as ultimate scheme keeps churning out money like a money printing machine their attitude will always be "what for ?"
I'm not being sarcastic with this. Please do this and be vocal about it.

If something like contracts means that much to you, you should absolutely speak with your wallet. I wish more people would do that here instead of just complaining on OS and buying the game at full price.

I'm buying the game because the way I play franchise, contracts dont really matter and the rest of the new features are improvements for my kind of play. If it wasnt, I would do the same as you.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #48
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
A repeated refrain in these forums relates to features not being introduced or expanded upon because to do so would not be ' fun' for the user , defining fun in a very narrow sense implying a need to supply almost instant gratification to the user

I think this is doing the video game audience a major disservice

Think of the movie industry , a media competing with video games for the leisure time of a similar , if not the same target audience

Sure they offer up light comedy and blockbuster super hero films but equally more thoughtful films , broadly under the umbrella entertainment , could a film like ' schindlers list ' be defined as fun ? Probably not , yet people flocked to see it , it won countless awards and remains popular across all age groups

People engage in hobbies , for their own fun , often involving more 'hard work' than their regular day job . Think gardening, why spend hours digging planting and tending plants in your spare time , if it's not ' fun' ?

People's definition of what us fun to them varies to a massive degree and to pigeon hole every body into one narrow definition does the audience an injustice
To be honest, Schindler's List came out 25 years ago. I cant recall a similar movie like that people "flocked to see" in probably 10-15 yrs.

The numbers speak for themselves. The top video games are ones that are geared towards being fun (in the casual definition). The top movies are too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »