Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #97
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
EA needs to hear the negatives (albeit in a constructive manner). That’s the only way they will add or fix what needs to be added or fixed.
I welcome constructive criticism. I myself have offered it plenty of times. At no point have I ever said Madden is a perfect game. There are plenty of things I want to see in franchise mode in future versions of Madden. Heck, I told Clint Oldenburg to his face at EA PLAY that the M19 build on display felt slow and unresponsive at the line of scrimmage (aside: he did say that that was going to get cleaned up, there were other issues beyond QB signature animations in that build).

Insinuating that the people who make this game are lazy, as you did earlier in this very thread, is not at all constructive.

Quote:
I’d love to your opinion and hear why other games are succeeding and going above and beyond like 2k is in the same yearly cycle that madden has with a considerably smaller dev team?
Well for starters, I think Madden is very clearly succeeding in its own right. The strides the game has made over the past four or five cycles to me has been really impressive, particularly as a competitive game. I also haven't felt compelled to purchase an NBA 2K game recently, so I don't necessarily agree that they are succeeding above and beyond because nothing they've done has captured my interest. Based on what I have seen and read, however, I do consider NBA 2K to be a better single-player experience than Madden for a number of reasons.

In short, my response is that I see both games succeeding in different ways.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #98
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I welcome constructive criticism. I myself have offered it plenty of times. At no point have I ever said Madden is a perfect game. There are plenty of things I want to see in franchise mode in future versions of Madden. Heck, I told Clint Oldenburg to his face at EA PLAY that the M19 build on display felt slow and unresponsive at the line of scrimmage (aside: he did say that that was going to get cleaned up, there were other issues beyond QB signature animations in that build).

Insinuating that the people who make this game are lazy, as you did earlier in this very thread, is not at all constructive.

Well for starters, I think Madden is very clearly succeeding in its own right. The strides the game has made over the past four or five cycles to me has been really impressive, particularly as a competitive game. I also haven't felt compelled to purchase an NBA 2K game recently, so I don't necessarily agree that they are succeeding above and beyond because nothing they've done has captured my interest. Based on what I have seen and read, however, I do consider NBA 2K to be a better single-player experience than Madden for a number of reasons.

You have some good points. But I think NBA 2k has surpassed madden even as a competitive title. I mean Jesus Christ they have a darn league complete with a draft and combine and everything. I would say that's taking your gaming pretty dang serious lol
Old 06-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #99
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
In FIFA they save replays of goals, some fouls, and some saves. Then you can see them at the end of the match with different angles and such. You can do the same with Madden. Save TDs, turnovers, and late game 1st downs and you can use that as a beginning for a little halftime or wrap up show.
They already do this for the game you are playing. You get highlights between quarters and at halftime.

Are you talking about taking those videos and using them for a show outside of when you are playing in a game? Then the highlight show would be of just your game. I am thinking from a 1 person CFM. A 32 person CFM that could work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #100
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cable guy
But doesn't EA make much more money off of Madden? Not in sales of units, but say MUT.

I'm asking btw
I would really be interested in the answer to this question as well.

2K has a MyTeam mode just like MUT, but their MyPlayer mode is also a revenue producer not just in micro transactions but ad revenue as well. (Mountain Dew 3x3 tournaments, Ruffles 4 point tournament, product placement, etc. )

We know 2K moves more units than Madden, but as far as profatability which one is superior? MUT from my experience is much more expensive than 2K but I only play MyCareer in 2K.

Money talks.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #101
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

All things aside just look at all the things that nba 2k18 offers and tell me why madden cannot offer it. I mean madden would never allow a competition committee scenario like 2k where you can vote rule hanged because they are so darn sensitive about their intellectual property.

But look at 2k's draft process. In all fairness madden has tried to improve the draft this year, but in 2k18 you can work out individual prospects and put them through drills. 2k gives you a full combine with a laundry list of measurements and intangibles. Madden gives you a combine score. NBA 2k keeps track of every stat, every record, every accomplishment for the duration of an entire franchise career. Madden tries this but does not do that great of a job. 2k's in game commentary adapats to the goings on of the league and tells stories that shape your franchise.

2k just gives you so much more to give you the feeling that you are part of the league and that what you do matters. Unfortunately madden just does not. Roadman your right about one thing if your strictly a competitive player then his game has improved vastly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #102
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Sorry, that wasn't Roadman at all. lol
Old 06-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #103
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

I also haven't felt compelled to purchase an NBA 2K game recently, so I don't necessarily agree that they are succeeding above and beyond because nothing they've done has captured my interest. Based on what I have seen and read, however, I do consider NBA 2K to be a better single-player experience than Madden for a number of reasons.

Truth of the matter is Madden is not growing at the rate the market is being the only football game out there.

NBA 2K has grown astronomically. They are pretty much lining themselves up to compete within their own company against games like GTA.

Not only do they have fleshed out full franchise modes with customizations up the ying yang, but modes for everyone all in the same game.

It has overtaken football and Madden for that matter where now the NBA has decided to make a professional E-Leauge fronting all of the upfront costs because of the success and authentic manner of the series.

Your attention is little when it comes to what 9 million or so out there increasing each year which was once unheard of for a basketball game let alone a sports game.

In terms of comparison, they are above madden what playstation is above xbox and it's not even close.

Even if they don't get it the first time, I never hear them say stuff like "it's hard" because that's what they do, figure out how to make stuff work or balance, which is why they always come with a boatload of improvements and additions each year.

There is nothing in Madden that equates to what freelance offense is in NBA2K and that's just one example.

A fully customizable franchise with injuries tied to the leagues entire history, logo editor and the ability to play it as a GM only is something I dont think Madden has ever had.

In fact Lakers24 posted his entire wishlist in one thread which ended up being probably the most liked thread in this forums history, and 2k put almost everything from his list in the game in a year's time.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ersion-me.html

Im sure we all want these games to improve in some aspect, but you seem to dismiss everything people say in here all of the time, while the series continues to go lacking.

I roll with the consumer first.

Last edited by 23; 06-19-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #104
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Most of OS, maybe, but everywhere else they would be vilified. Although they seem to care less about Metacritic than they have in the past, focusing more on player retention year round, a version that was light in new features would review pretty poorly(high 7's low 8's IMO) and that would not be received well by anyone in upper management I'm sure.
Gets back to the subscription service vs annual purchase. Polishing up existing features should be done in patches. It does not need a major release party. Adding totally new features should be a marketing story for EA. Feeling the need to add new features annually just for an August release is counter productive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »