Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #113
MVP
 
4thQtrStre5S's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2013
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
What is it you're asking about 2k? How many offenses there are? Plays and variations as well as counters, Freelances per team? defensive settings to counter those accounting for each player, team formation, coaching strategy to boot?

I was fortunate enough to get some schooling in programming and help out on some AAA game stuff recently so I know more than not.

I've seen a team of devs take over a day fixing on a single issue, dealing with system memory issues and things the average person has no idea about.

If you want to show a shakedown video, tell me what play they just ran at the beginning and what that play entails?
I just want to know how it is harder to program 5v5 game than an 11v11? It seems that if a basketball game is being compared to a football game, then those doing the comparison must believe the programming difficulties are equal, yes?

I also assume basketball defenses use zone style defensive logic. Was curious how many zone variations are used in NBA2k versus say M18, including the linemen?
4thQtrStre5S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #114
MVP
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Dec 2011
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

TIL that 5 on 5 requires just as much computation as 11 on 11.

The game of pro basketball has been reduced to running Pick and Roll and shooting 3s. The idea that basketball is as strategically complex as football is laughable, and anyone who suggests as much should have their opinion on the subject disregarded without further thought.
stinkubus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #115
MVP
 
vannwolfhawk's Arena
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 3,080
Blog Entries: 15
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Truth of the matter is Madden is not growing at the rate the market is being the only football game out there.

NBA 2K has grown astronomically. They are pretty much lining themselves up to compete within their own company against games like GTA.

Not only do they have fleshed out full franchise modes with customizations up the ying yang, but modes for everyone all in the same game.

It has overtaken football and Madden for that matter where now the NBA has decided to make a professional E-Leauge fronting all of the upfront costs because of the success and authentic manner of the series.

Your attention is little when it comes to what 9 million or so out there increasing each year which was once unheard of for a basketball game let alone a sports game.

In terms of comparison, they are above madden what playstation is above xbox and it's not even close.

Even if they don't get it the first time, I never hear them say stuff like "it's hard" because that's what they do, figure out how to make stuff work or balance, which is why they always come with a boatload of improvements and additions each year.

There is nothing in Madden that equates to what freelance offense is in NBA2K and that's just one example.

A fully customizable franchise with injuries tied to the leagues entire history, logo editor and the ability to play it as a GM only is something I dont think Madden has ever had.

In fact Lakers24 posted his entire wishlist in one thread which ended up being probably the most liked thread in this forums history, and 2k put almost everything from his list in the game in a year's time.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ersion-me.html


Im sure we all want these games to improve in some aspect, but you seem to dismiss everything people say in here all of the time, while the series continues to go lacking.

I roll with the consumer first.
Well said! And iím re quoting it all because well I felt like it!
__________________
Basketball Playbooks
http://www.nextplayhoops.com

Follow Here For NBA2k22 Playbook Updates
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...a-x-s-o-s.html
vannwolfhawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #116
23
yellow
 
23's Arena
 
OVR: 65
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 69,726
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I just want to know how it is harder to program 5v5 game than an 11v11? It seems that if a basketball game is being compared to a football game, then those doing the comparison must believe the programming difficulties are equal, yes?

I also assume basketball defenses use zone style defensive logic. Was curious how many zone variations are used in NBA2k versus say M18, including the linemen?

You made the statement so im asking you. I named a few things in 5on5 alone and you still haven't given me an answer.

Throwing out blanket statements like that where you have no proof won't cut it.

Basketball uses far more complex defensive schemes than just zones in the professional leagues because pros beat zones with specific kinds of attacks. It's an entirely different level than college ball.

How many ways can you defend a simple pick and roll? Many, and that isn't even a play but a staple of the game. How do you defend the Warriors Cyclone play which basically has about 20 play variations out of that one play?

How do you defend the Houston Rockets full 21 Series of plays? It becomes way more than trying to throw out a zone hoping and wishing to get a stop because you'll be blown out before halftime.

2K has people who worked on aeronautic jet engines on their team.. it doesn't get any better than that... and you know what, they still need to find ways to solve complex problems, build new systems every single year, and the stuff the engineers do on a daily would make a normal person quit.
23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #117
MVP
 
4thQtrStre5S's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2013
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
You made the statement so im asking you. I named a few things in 5on5 alone and you still haven't given me an answer.

Throwing out blanket statements like that where you have no proof won't cut it.

Basketball uses far more complex defensive schemes than just zones in the professional leagues because pros beat zones with specific kinds of attacks. It's an entirely different level than college ball.

How many ways can you defend a simple pick and roll? Many, and that isn't even a play but a staple of the game. How do you defend the Warriors Cyclone play which basically has about 20 play variations out of that one play?

How do you defend the Houston Rockets full 21 Series of plays? It becomes way more than trying to throw out a zone hoping and wishing to get a stop because you'll be blown out before halftime.

2K has people who worked on aeronautic jet engines on their team.. it doesn't get any better than that... and you know what, they still need to find ways to solve complex problems, build new systems every single year, and the stuff the engineers do on a daily would make a normal person quit.
Oh, we want "proof now"? Okay, in a previous post, which was just quoted by another forum member, you spoke of the "market" and how madden isn't increasing with the market... What are ur references to this market, and what market are you referring to?

As for basketball, I am asking u because I made a perspective statement, and u replied by giving me the impression u are a professional level programmer. So I am hoping u will teach me the differences between 5v5 basketball and 11v11 football programming that makes them equally comparable? You haven't proven anything...You have made statements, assertions...
4thQtrStre5S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #118
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jun 2015
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingd803
Yeah. I agree. I think people would be over the moon happy if they ďfakedĒ the halftime show just like APF or 2k5.

But I mean really at this point we shouldnít be wanting the game to be at least that good. We should want it to be even better than those games. And itís not. Itís far behind.

Madden is the video game representation of Americaís most popular sport. It should be leading the way. It should be better than nba or mlb. Not trying to catch up to a 14 and 10íyear old game.

He bottom line is this. If it has been done on previous consoles and games. It should be able to be done now for madden. And if they canít figure out how to do it, then THEY need to change how theyíre working. Or how madden is made. Itís THEIR problem. Not ours.

I mean I think that speaks more to the developers on 2k5 that they were able to fake it so well on that weak hardware.

I mean ****. Here is my biggest point. Even when the madden team doesnít ďfakeĒ things. And does things the way they think should be done. They are still implemented poorly. Or seem half finished. So maybe they should try faking more things.

I donít care how they get there. I just want the end result to look better than nba 2k or APF. I want my football game to blow me away. I want to love a new football game.

Last thing. Nba live has a cool ESPN package for their halftime show. Itís not great. But itís pretty cool. And I enjoyed it. The live team can do that. But the madden team canít?
What if they faked the highlight show showing Lions RB running for an 80 yard TD only to look at the stats and see the Lions RB only got 50 yards the whole game. Faking the highlights is pointless if the stats do not correspond.

I would rather them get it right than toss up "fake news."

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jsteele14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #119
23
yellow
 
23's Arena
 
OVR: 65
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 69,726
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Oh, we want "proof now"? Okay, in a previous post, which was just quoted by another forum member, you spoke of the "market" and how madden isn't increasing with the market... What are ur references to this market, and what market are you referring to?

As for basketball, I am asking u because I made a perspective statement, and u replied by giving me the impression u are a professional level programmer. So I am hoping u will teach me the differences between 5v5 basketball and 11v11 football programming that makes them equally comparable?

NPD is one, and people who work on these games that watch the numbers because it's their job... the market is the gaming market, and sports as well....especially with less games in the genre than we've had since what the PS1 maybe further back than that.

Im not making anything comparable, im asking you to show us that making a football is more complex than a basketball game. If you're using this as a reason why Madden is being outsold or not progressing fast enough even though it's an exclusive then that's all I need to know.
23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #120
23
yellow
 
23's Arena
 
OVR: 65
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 69,726
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

BTW, I was at EA Play as well, and I was told by a certain youtuber/gamechanger who was a bit upset that he got that same excuse about why some things aren't fixed or changed. "its hard, we can't just push a button"

People don't want to hear that. They want to know how you looked to improve the game, made it closer to its real life counterpart, and that their feedback is really meaningful which doesn't seem to be the case with this game or EA in general.

They gave me the impression that some things were added because they thought it looked cool. That's just me though but it was my impression from what was told me by one of the devs explaining some gameplay stuff.

Nevermind if it made sense or not lol.

We also had an indie dev there with us in the conversation and he could see through some of the excuses as well with knowing how game development works. They do what they set out to do from the beginning, regardless of what you say here.
23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Top -