Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #121
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Anyways, you not having 2k18 makes sense now in not understanding the difference in what 2 companies can do or are capable of. You say nothing they have done has peaked your interest? What modes do you play and what would peak your interest in 2k? What do they NOT have that you do want and that would make you buy it? I will say you for sure missed out on the best playing CPU AI in a b-ball game ever IMO...

The last time we had this conversation Chris was kind enough to answer. His answer was the NBA season is too long and he would never make it through an entire season. Said he couldn't even make it through half the season. The season is too long.

We were kind enough to give Chris suggestions on how to shorten the NBA2K season and also suggested he could sim games. Before giving these suggestions, I had to SMH a bit.

Oh, and we should stop comparing Madden and NBA2K. I was told we can only compare Madden to CITIES:SKYLINES.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #122
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
NPD is one, and people who work on these games that watch the numbers because it's their job... the market is the gaming market, and sports as well....especially with less games in the genre than we've had since what the PS1 maybe further back than that.

Im not making anything comparable, im asking you to show us that making a football is more complex than a basketball game. If you're using this as a reason why Madden is being outsold or not progressing fast enough even though it's an exclusive then that's all I need to know.
LOL...Alright, obviously you have not been taught about sourcing ur assertions, and I do not have time to research your claims..

I made a perspective statement, essentially saying, I see 11v11 more difficult to program than 5v5. Simple as that.

I am curious how zones work in NBA 2k, not the NBA, so I can get an understanding of the 2k basketball game which I can compare to Madden.

I do not know who works for 2K and if they are "people who worked on aeronautic jet engines on their team." I do know you made that statement, but you seem to wish me to accept your word for this, yes?

I get the feeling you have no desire to really answer a question where I honestly admitted I had no knowledge, in regards to programming, but where u gave the impression you were well versed.

Again, I just believe that comparing 5v5 players to programming 11v11 player programming is difficult to compare equally. Nothing more. My opinion.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #123
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I made a perspective statement, essentially saying, I see 11v11 more difficult to program than 5v5. Simple as that.

Again, I just believe that comparing 5v5 players to programming 11v11 player programming is difficult to compare equally. Nothing more. My opinion.

Fair enough, your admitting it was an uneducated opinion. I think 23 responded because your initial post responding to mine, you stated it more like fact instead of opinion. But you realizing it's just your opinion is fair enough.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #124
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
The last time we had this conversation Chris was kind enough to answer. His answer was the NBA season is too long and he would never make it through an entire season. Said he couldn't even make it through half the season. The season is too long.

We were kind enough to give Chris suggestions on how to shorten the NBA2K season and also suggested he could sim games. Before giving these suggestions, I had to SMH a bit.

Oh, and we should stop comparing Madden and NBA2K. I was told we can only compare Madden to CITIES:SKYLINES.
LOL! So, the real life NBA season length doesn’t interest him not that 2k hasn’t been innovative enough for him. Got it...
Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #125
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
LOL...Alright, obviously you have not been taught about sourcing ur assertions, and I do not have time to research your claims..

I am curious how zones work in NBA 2k, not the NBA, so I can get an understanding of the 2k basketball game which I can compare to Madden.

I do not know who works for 2K and if they are "people who worked on aeronautic jet engines on their team." I do know you made that statement, but you seem to wish me to accept your word for this, yes?

I get the feeling you have no desire to really answer a question where I honestly admitted I had no knowledge, in regards to programming, but where u gave the impression you were well versed.

Well NPD is no longer public..but where do you think people in gaming media get their numbers from? You don't know much about the gaming industry do you?

How much do you even know about this stuff because you don't seem to know much but as I said that opinion is yours nonetheless it has nothing of substance to back it up.

If you want to know what Zones are in the game you can easily look that up, but that has no bearing on what types of defenses are currently structured in the game's code as if that's the only thing that they run in basketball when in fact the pros go away from that for that very reason, pros bust zones up way too easy. You seem to not care about what other multitudes of options were programmed in the game, and I gave you examples.

If you want to know about guys working on nasa stuff

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/nf...nd-a.60769972/
Quote:
Shawn Lee has worked on the 2K5 football series for Visual Concepts since the very first 2K. A football fan for life, he studied aeronautical engineering at Purdue University. Before Visual Concepts, Shawn Lee worked at Lockheed Martin, where he designed various secret projects that he still can't talk about.
That same guy now works on nba2k fyi, but that's already old public knowledge. Some of your questions would be answered with simple google searches.

Anyway, those things I said to you are facts though. If you wanna join the guys who always make excuses for things then fine, but im not one of y'all lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #126
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Fair enough, your admitting it was an uneducated opinion. I think 23 responded because your initial post responding to mine, you stated it more like fact instead of opinion. But you realizing it's just your opinion is fair enough.
You are correct. I went back and I see that my initial response was as if I was stating a fact which I could prove.. My bad..

I apologize to all who I confused, especially "23" for the misunderstanding.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #127
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Well NPD is no longer public..but where do you think people in gaming media get their numbers from? You don't know much about the gaming industry do you?

How much do you even know about this stuff because you don't seem to know much but as I said that opinion is yours nonetheless it has nothing of substance to back it up.

If you want to know what Zones are in the game you can easily look that up, but that has no bearing on what types of defenses are currently structured in the game's code as if that's the only thing that they run in basketball when in fact the pros go away from that for that very reason, pros bust zones up way too easy. You seem to not care about what other multitudes of options were programmed in the game, and I gave you examples.

If you want to know about guys working on nasa stuff

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/nf...nd-a.60769972/

That same guy now works on nba2k fyi, but that's already old public knowledge. Some of your questions would be answered with simple google searches.

Anyway, those things I said to you are facts though. If you wanna join the guys who always make excuses for things then fine, but im not one of y'all lol.
I know enough about the market. I was trying to figure out where you got your numbers and how you were formulating your position.

According to the following site, Basketball has about 825 million fans. American Football didn't even make the list. Table Tennis makes the list. So the market, when I asked, I was curious if we were looking at US numbers only or all markets where the games are sold? Then age groups should be considered to assist in finding a proper market analysis of how strong Madden is in relation to NBA2k or gaming in general.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html

According to NPD, NBA2k18 ranked top 10.. Madden 18 is not listed in the following link. I would hope an NBA game would outsell and American Football game.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/top-10/

MArket size, without looking up where EA and 2K sells their respective sports games, dictates that basketball should sell more.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #128
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:

I have posted about this before somewhere and I get your saying we aren’t comparing apples to apples but will tell you a bit...

Defensively on a on ball screen you have multiple options. Do I go over, under, switch, trap, or do I soft hedge, hard hedge, catch hedge, ice, jam, switch, or trap. In each of those scenarios and do the math in how many you could get by mixing all of them you have to have the other players rotate. How these players rotate is used in your coaching adjustments. How does player x guard player y? Does he play him tight, play the gap, sag off, etc. then how does the defense respond to the person with the ball? Do they help, double on the drive, or stay home. Same go’s for the post player. Do you want to double on the catch, dribble, or dig in on him? What about how we play vs a shooter or non shooter coming off pin downs or staggers? Do we want to go over the screen, under the screens, or switch the screens? Again, everyone else has to be coded to rotate under that circumstance and how you chose to defend all the above scenarios. Keep in mind this is 1 scenario out of 1 play defensively.

Offensively you have guys reading to curl, flare fill, or cut. Which organically makes all the other players have to act accordingly. When you break it all down even though there are 10 players compared to 22 it’s super deep in 2k. Also keep in mind they have 500-1000 plays that need to be coded as well for defensively having counters to how the offense is playing at any given time. Is a player hot, cold, etc? Each scenario that the CPU might need to defend it at anytime throughout a game needs to be accounted for in their ACE (Adaptipe Coaching engine) system. Also keep in mind these adjustments happen on the fly by the CPU AI all game long from start to finish.

In football how many coverages are there? I think if in a zone you can separate by position right? So then break down the route concepts from there out of different looks. I honestly don’t THINK it would be as hard in madden actually as it would 2k considering.

I’m sure I’m missing things in 2k and that’s just on the fly and off the top of my head...

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 06-19-2018 at 07:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »