Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #121
Banned
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Anyways, you not having 2k18 makes sense now in not understanding the difference in what 2 companies can do or are capable of. You say nothing they have done has peaked your interest? What modes do you play and what would peak your interest in 2k? What do they NOT have that you do want and that would make you buy it? I will say you for sure missed out on the best playing CPU AI in a b-ball game ever IMO...

The last time we had this conversation Chris was kind enough to answer. His answer was the NBA season is too long and he would never make it through an entire season. Said he couldn't even make it through half the season. The season is too long.

We were kind enough to give Chris suggestions on how to shorten the NBA2K season and also suggested he could sim games. Before giving these suggestions, I had to SMH a bit.


Oh, and we should stop comparing Madden and NBA2K. I was told we can only compare Madden to CITIES:SKYLINES.
bucky60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #122
MVP
 
4thQtrStre5S's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2013
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
NPD is one, and people who work on these games that watch the numbers because it's their job... the market is the gaming market, and sports as well....especially with less games in the genre than we've had since what the PS1 maybe further back than that.

Im not making anything comparable, im asking you to show us that making a football is more complex than a basketball game. If you're using this as a reason why Madden is being outsold or not progressing fast enough even though it's an exclusive then that's all I need to know.
LOL...Alright, obviously you have not been taught about sourcing ur assertions, and I do not have time to research your claims..

I made a perspective statement, essentially saying, I see 11v11 more difficult to program than 5v5. Simple as that.

I am curious how zones work in NBA 2k, not the NBA, so I can get an understanding of the 2k basketball game which I can compare to Madden.

I do not know who works for 2K and if they are "people who worked on aeronautic jet engines on their team." I do know you made that statement, but you seem to wish me to accept your word for this, yes?

I get the feeling you have no desire to really answer a question where I honestly admitted I had no knowledge, in regards to programming, but where u gave the impression you were well versed.

Again, I just believe that comparing 5v5 players to programming 11v11 player programming is difficult to compare equally. Nothing more. My opinion.
4thQtrStre5S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #123
Banned
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I made a perspective statement, essentially saying, I see 11v11 more difficult to program than 5v5. Simple as that.

Again, I just believe that comparing 5v5 players to programming 11v11 player programming is difficult to compare equally. Nothing more. My opinion.

Fair enough, your admitting it was an uneducated opinion. I think 23 responded because your initial post responding to mine, you stated it more like fact instead of opinion. But you realizing it's just your opinion is fair enough.
bucky60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #124
MVP
 
vannwolfhawk's Arena
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 3,080
Blog Entries: 15
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
The last time we had this conversation Chris was kind enough to answer. His answer was the NBA season is too long and he would never make it through an entire season. Said he couldn't even make it through half the season. The season is too long.

We were kind enough to give Chris suggestions on how to shorten the NBA2K season and also suggested he could sim games. Before giving these suggestions, I had to SMH a bit.


Oh, and we should stop comparing Madden and NBA2K. I was told we can only compare Madden to CITIES:SKYLINES.
LOL! So, the real life NBA season length doesnít interest him not that 2k hasnít been innovative enough for him. Got it...
__________________
Basketball Playbooks
http://www.nextplayhoops.com

Follow Here For NBA2k22 Playbook Updates
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...a-x-s-o-s.html
vannwolfhawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #125
23
yellow
 
23's Arena
 
OVR: 65
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 69,726
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
LOL...Alright, obviously you have not been taught about sourcing ur assertions, and I do not have time to research your claims..

I made a perspective statement, essentially saying, I see 11v11 more difficult to program than 5v5. Simple as that.

I am curious how zones work in NBA 2k, not the NBA, so I can get an understanding of the 2k basketball game which I can compare to Madden.

I do not know who works for 2K and if they are "people who worked on aeronautic jet engines on their team." I do know you made that statement, but you seem to wish me to accept your word for this, yes?

I get the feeling you have no desire to really answer a question where I honestly admitted I had no knowledge, in regards to programming, but where u gave the impression you were well versed.

Again, I just believe that comparing 5v5 players to programming 11v11 player programming is difficult to compare equally. Nothing more. My opinion.
Well NPD is no longer public..but where do you think people in gaming media get their numbers from? You don't know much about the gaming industry do you?

How much do you even know about this stuff because you don't seem to know much but as I said that opinion is yours nonetheless it has nothing of substance to back it up.

If you want to know what Zones are in the game you can easily look that up, but that has no bearing on what types of defenses are currently structured in the game's code as if that's the only thing that they run in basketball when in fact the pros go away from that for that very reason, pros bust zones up way too easy. You seem to not care about what other multitudes of options were programmed in the game, and I gave you examples.


If you want to know about guys working on nasa stuff

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/nf...nd-a.60769972/
Quote:
Shawn Lee has worked on the 2K5 football series for Visual Concepts since the very first 2K. A football fan for life, he studied aeronautical engineering at Purdue University. Before Visual Concepts, Shawn Lee worked at Lockheed Martin, where he designed various secret projects that he still can't talk about.
That same guy now works on nba2k fyi, but that's already old public knowledge. Some of your questions would be answered with simple google searches.

Anyway, those things I said to you are facts though. If you wanna join the guys who always make excuses for things then fine, but im not one of y'all lol.
23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #126
MVP
 
4thQtrStre5S's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2013
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Fair enough, your admitting it was an uneducated opinion. I think 23 responded because your initial post responding to mine, you stated it more like fact instead of opinion. But you realizing it's just your opinion is fair enough.
You are correct. I went back and I see that my initial response was as if I was stating a fact which I could prove.. My bad..

I apologize to all who I confused, especially "23" for the misunderstanding.
4thQtrStre5S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #127
MVP
 
4thQtrStre5S's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2013
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Well NPD is no longer public..but where do you think people in gaming media get their numbers from? You don't know much about the gaming industry do you?

How much do you even know about this stuff because you don't seem to know much but as I said that opinion is yours nonetheless it has nothing of substance to back it up.

If you want to know what Zones are in the game you can easily look that up, but that has no bearing on what types of defenses are currently structured in the game's code as if that's the only thing that they run in basketball when in fact the pros go away from that for that very reason, pros bust zones up way too easy. You seem to not care about what other multitudes of options were programmed in the game, and I gave you examples.


If you want to know about guys working on nasa stuff

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/nf...nd-a.60769972/


That same guy now works on nba2k fyi, but that's already old public knowledge. Some of your questions would be answered with simple google searches.

Anyway, those things I said to you are facts though. If you wanna join the guys who always make excuses for things then fine, but im not one of y'all lol.
I know enough about the market. I was trying to figure out where you got your numbers and how you were formulating your position.

According to the following site, Basketball has about 825 million fans. American Football didn't even make the list. Table Tennis makes the list. So the market, when I asked, I was curious if we were looking at US numbers only or all markets where the games are sold? Then age groups should be considered to assist in finding a proper market analysis of how strong Madden is in relation to NBA2k or gaming in general.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html

According to NPD, NBA2k18 ranked top 10.. Madden 18 is not listed in the following link. I would hope an NBA game would outsell and American Football game.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/top-10/

MArket size, without looking up where EA and 2K sells their respective sports games, dictates that basketball should sell more.
4thQtrStre5S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #128
MVP
 
vannwolfhawk's Arena
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 3,080
Blog Entries: 15
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
LOL...Alright, obviously you have not been taught about sourcing ur assertions, and I do not have time to research your claims..

I made a perspective statement, essentially saying, I see 11v11 more difficult to program than 5v5. Simple as that.

I am curious how zones work in NBA 2k, not the NBA, so I can get an understanding of the 2k basketball game which I can compare to Madden.

I do not know who works for 2K and if they are "people who worked on aeronautic jet engines on their team." I do know you made that statement, but you seem to wish me to accept your word for this, yes?

I get the feeling you have no desire to really answer a question where I honestly admitted I had no knowledge, in regards to programming, but where u gave the impression you were well versed.

Again, I just believe that comparing 5v5 players to programming 11v11 player programming is difficult to compare equally. Nothing more. My opinion.
I have posted about this before somewhere and I get your saying we aren’t comparing apples to apples but will tell you a bit...

Defensively on a on ball screen you have multiple options. Do I go over, under, switch, trap, or do I soft hedge, hard hedge, catch hedge, ice, jam, switch, or trap. In each of those scenarios and do the math in how many you could get by mixing all of them you have to have the other players rotate. How these players rotate is used in your coaching adjustments. How does player x guard player y? Does he play him tight, play the gap, sag off, etc. then how does the defense respond to the person with the ball? Do they help, double on the drive, or stay home. Same go’s for the post player. Do you want to double on the catch, dribble, or dig in on him? What about how we play vs a shooter or non shooter coming off pin downs or staggers? Do we want to go over the screen, under the screens, or switch the screens? Again, everyone else has to be coded to rotate under that circumstance and how you chose to defend all the above scenarios. Keep in mind this is 1 scenario out of 1 play defensively.

Offensively you have guys reading to curl, flare fill, or cut. Which organically makes all the other players have to act accordingly. When you break it all down even though there are 10 players compared to 22 it’s super deep in 2k. Also keep in mind they have 500-1000 plays that need to be coded as well for defensively having counters to how the offense is playing at any given time. Is a player hot, cold, etc? Each scenario that the CPU might need to defend it at anytime throughout a game needs to be accounted for in their ACE (Adaptipe Coaching engine) system. Also keep in mind these adjustments happen on the fly by the CPU AI all game long from start to finish.

In football how many coverages are there? I think if in a zone you can separate by position right? So then break down the route concepts from there out of different looks. I honestly don’t THINK it would be as hard in madden actually as it would 2k considering.

I’m sure I’m missing things in 2k and that’s just on the fly and off the top of my head...
__________________
Basketball Playbooks
http://www.nextplayhoops.com

Follow Here For NBA2k22 Playbook Updates
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...a-x-s-o-s.html

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 06-19-2018 at 07:12 PM.
vannwolfhawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Top -