Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #137
Pro

Gilley's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Was browsing some Reddit threads on NBA2K18 defense. Seems like just as many complaints about their defense as there is about Madden defense.

Seeing complaints that the defense is not very good AI-wise, but there are plenty of options to manually set defense. And like with Madden, people complain that they shouldn't have to manually tell their defense what to do and when all the time. That the defense AI and ratings should handle a lot of the situations. Someone on a thread noted that a coach doesn't tell a player like Curry how to setup on a play; paraphrasing. I see that same complaint in Madden threads.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comme...have_the_same/
I'm not saying that 2K18 is flawless, but take anything that subreddit says with a grain of salt. The place is an echo chamber of negativity and complaining.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #138
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Also don't forget that each AI controlled player on a Madden defense now behaves with full knowledge of the other's players assignments and they adjust their behavior accordingly. The number of possible permutations in a game of Madden is orders of magnitude higher than those in a basketball game.

5 on 5 basketball was achieved in video games years before Madden debuted. It's just easier to do because it has fewer moving parts which means less processing power is required.

In terms of meta-strategy football is also much more complex because it has so many more game states than basketball. In basketball one only needs to consider the score, the time left on the clock, who has possession, and the current foul situation. In football you must account for the score, possession, and time remaining from every possible combination of field position and down and distance.

The phrase "apples and oranges" doesn't even do justice to how unfair the comparison is. It's more like video game football is chess and video game basketball is checkers.
I digress, you are right “it’s just too hard” because there are 11 or 22 people to account for. SMH what’s the excuse for cfm?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #139
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Was browsing some Reddit threads on NBA2K18 defense. Seems like just as many complaints about their defense as there is about Madden defense.

Seeing complaints that the defense is not very good AI-wise, but there are plenty of options to manually set defense. And like with Madden, people complain that they shouldn't have to manually tell their defense what to do and when all the time. That the defense AI and ratings should handle a lot of the situations. Someone on a thread noted that a coach doesn't tell a player like Curry how to setup on a play; paraphrasing. I see that same complaint in Madden threads.

I don't go there, but our son does sometimes about his favorite basketball team.

I had to chuckle reading some of the comments, someone goes back to play 2k13 because the AI was more realistic.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #140
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I don't go there, but our son does sometimes about his favorite basketball team.

I had to chuckle reading some of the comments, someone goes back to play 2k13 because the AI was more realistic.
I am with you, I do not go to Reddit. I found a number of the comments funny too.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #141
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:

Lol you are reaching now. I am a college basketball coach and I can tell you I do tell my players how to defend a player, play, etc throughout a game. Lol! And it’s by no means perfect in 2k, but most people like in madden play in play now. Totally different experience in cfm as well as my league in 2k. One of the major reasons is 2k had teams help defense sliders at 50 and could not be adjusted in a roster. So the gameplay with that not done isn’t as good. Once that’s tweaked it’s completely different. Also, ACE could be on or off. If they make 1 adjustment it can override ACE. So like another poster said take with a grain of salt. Basketball is my number 1 and is how I make a living so don’t you think I’d be pretty hard on them if it wasn’t done very well?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #142
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

I even did a quick video about this same thing as a guy on OS was complaining about cpu defense. Then he loved and praised it...

https://youtu.be/dqmYKiWl7V0
Old 06-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #143
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Lol you are reaching now. I am a college basketball coach and I can tell you I do tell my players how to defend a player, play, etc throughout a game. Lol! And it’s by no means perfect in 2k, but most people like in madden play in play now. Totally different experience in cfm as well as my league in 2k. One of the major reasons is 2k had teams help defense sliders at 50 and could not be adjusted in a roster. So the gameplay with that not done isn’t as good. Once that’s tweaked it’s completely different. Also, ACE could be on or off. If they make 1 adjustment it can override ACE. So like another poster said take with a grain of salt. Basketball is my number 1 and is how I make a living so don’t you think I’d be pretty hard on them if it wasn’t done very well?
Okay. But are you telling your players stuff because they do not know, or because you are reminding them what to look for and how to react? Sounds like in 2K the user has to manually tell the players how to do something, outside base AI logic, because they will not respond according to ratings alone, as opposed to reminding players.

I think from a game perspective, it should be fun. I do not know if you would be hard on a game, especially if you understand that it is just a game.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #144
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I even did a quick video about this same thing as a guy on OS was complaining about cpu defense. Then he loved and praised it...

https://youtu.be/dqmYKiWl7V0
I am not done watching ur video, but obviously, you know what ur talking about. I wish Madden had the option depth, but I assume EA doesn't feel many people would take advantage of such a plethora of options to justify the cost.

Anyway, I subbed your page and will learn from ur videos. Thank you for posting a link.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »