Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #145
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Okay. But are you telling your players stuff because they do not know, or because you are reminding them what to look for and how to react? Sounds like in 2K the user has to manually tell the players how to do something, outside base AI logic, because they will not respond according to ratings alone, as opposed to reminding players.

I think from a game perspective, it should be fun. I do not know if you would be hard on a game, especially if you understand that it is just a game.
Iím telling my players what I see and making an adjustment throughout a game as things change. For example we have a set way in scouting a team in how we want to play them by sagging off this player, heís a shooter stay attached, hedge ball screens, any big to big exchanges we will switch, guards exchanges donít switch as we have a undersized pg we donít want getting stuck in a mismatch on the block against their big guard. We want to have help defense from the weakside at the stop line. Well In a game that changes obviously. The player who canít shoot and we were sagging off of in our original gameplan just hit 3 3ís in a row. Player looks at me saying what do you want? Timeout... we adjust... lol same thing with 100 more scenarios. My 20 years of coaching and 18 of playing is far more knowledge then my 21 year old players.

As far as if Iím hard or not on a game I want a simulation game and everything Iíd see in a real game. I donít want arcade 360 catches by wr I saw in a video today or the sounds the rbís make every step they make. I constantly post wishlists, critiques of 2k and things they can improve on. Shoot, this last year the 2k roster guy (beds) took all my tendency ratings and applied it to the main roster. Funny thing is 2k has 5-6 OS guys on staff. Me and 23 were going back in forth earlier this year about things and he was working with 2k on some things. Iím critical of 2k and madden as I love both sports...

Follow Here For NBA2k22 Playbook Updates
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...a-x-s-o-s.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #146
MVP

OVR: 0

The "excuse" for CFM is that EA doesn't believe the sort of additions and changes advocated here will effect the bottom line enough to make it worth the time and expense, LDO. I don't contend that most of the features people ask for would be difficult to implement, they just won't increase the profitability of the game. If the people working at Tiburon, who's livelihood literally depends on how well Madden sells, thought they could get rid of another 500k units (to reach par with NBA2K) by beefing up franchise mode they would've done it a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

The one feature I do believe would be difficult to implement in CFM is a balanced player progression system. I'm very hopeful that the archetype system when used in conjunction with custom draft classes (to ensure a good distribution of archetype and ability in the draft) will be able to limit the snowballing.

Right now the only limits in place are diminishing returns to XP which don't kick in until your player is already good enough that it doesn't much matter. If the draft is balanced enough that the player is put in the position of having to pick players (due to their superior starting ability) which they can't easily develop (wrong archetype) then we'll have ourselves a game.

What I don't expect is the AI to be good at any of this. The AI always has, and probably always will be, a pushover. This will probably remain true even once technology advances to the point that competent AI could run on a gaming console. Making the game too challenging, out of the box, would negatively effect sales. The best you'll ever get is the ability to customize to your liking.

If you want a challenge play against other humans. If you choose to play single player you know what you're getting (it's been the same for 30 years!) so don't act surprised or angered because you should've known better.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #147
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Iím telling my players what I see and making an adjustment throughout a game as things change. For example we have a set way in scouting a team in how we want to play them by sagging off this player, heís a shooter stay attached, hedge ball screens, any big to big exchanges we will switch, guards exchanges donít switch as we have a undersized pg we donít want getting stuck in a mismatch on the block against their big guard. We want to have help defense from the weakside at the stop line. Well In a game that changes obviously. The player who canít shoot and we were sagging off of in our original gameplan just hit 3 3ís in a row. Player looks at me saying what do you want? Timeout... we adjust... lol same thing with 100 more scenarios. My 20 years of coaching and 18 of playing is far more knowledge then my 21 year old players.

As far as if Iím hard or not on a game I want a simulation game and everything Iíd see in a real game. I donít want arcade 360 catches by wr I saw in a video today or the sounds the rbís make every step they make. I constantly post wishlists, critiques of 2k and things they can improve on. Shoot, this last year the 2k roster guy (beds) took all my tendency ratings and applied it to the main roster. Funny thing is 2k has 5-6 OS guys on staff. Me and 23 were going back in forth earlier this year about things and he was working with 2k on some things. Iím critical of 2k and madden as I love both sports...
I have a quick question if you have time. In your video, NBA2K18 High/Low Offense, at the 4:14 mark, there are 4 options available which are shown on the right side of the screen. Are those pre-set plays? Are they custom plays ?

They are listed as:

(A) Fist 15 Quick
(X) Fist 12 Slip
(Y) Quick Horns Swing 52
(LB) Fist 5 out
Old 06-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #148
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
The "excuse" for CFM is that EA doesn't believe the sort of additions and changes advocated here will effect the bottom line enough to make it worth the time and expense, LDO. I don't contend that most of the features people ask for would be difficult to implement, they just won't increase the profitability of the game. If the people working at Tiburon, who's livelihood literally depends on how well Madden sells, thought they could get rid of another 500k units (to reach par with NBA2K) by beefing up franchise mode they would've done it a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago.
It seems to work for NBA 2K. They have a sizeable franchise mode and the game sales are increasing every year. I think it just comes down to the talent and the people making the decisions overseeing that talent.

Seems to me EA is all about how can we get sales now, instead of building and having prolonged success over years to come. That's exactly what got NBA Live in the hole it's in now. Madden can afford to do what it wants, when it wants because they have no direct competitor.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #149
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
It seems to work for NBA 2K. They have a sizeable franchise mode and the game sales are increasing every year. I think it just comes down to the talent and the people making the decisions overseeing that talent.

Seems to me EA is all about how can we get sales now, instead of building and having prolonged success over years to come. That's exactly what got NBA Live in the hole it's in now. Madden can afford to do what it wants, when it wants because they have no direct competitor.
I would lean towards the position that executives are more focused on short-term numbers than long term (not saying they are not having long-term success). I feel they may be a little too top-down focused which is an economic-based strategy. I assume they have some degree of bottom-up input but probably limited in regards to involvement which may explain the apparent reluctance to focus on CFM over MUT in recent Madden releases.

MAdden for example, is a short cycle, so a lot of bottom-up input can be difficult to work through for short-term changes.

Longshot is a very nice story-mode, but was very lacking. It supposedly generated some additional revenue, but I am not sure what will be done to hold on to any consumers which may have purchased M18 based on the Longshot marketing.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 06-19-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #150
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I have a quick question if you have time. In your video, NBA2K18 High/Low Offense, at the 4:14 mark, there are 4 options available which are shown on the right side of the screen. Are those pre-set plays? Are they custom plays ?

They are listed as:

(A) Fist 15 Quick
(X) Fist 12 Slip
(Y) Quick Horns Swing 52
(LB) Fist 5 out
Feel free to PM me anytime with 2k questions. This thread already sidetracked enough. Lol

Short answer I did all teams real playbooks from synergy. Itís the link in my signature below. If you are really wanting depth with plays check this thread out... https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-complete.html

Iím big into Xís & Oís! Those are all team plays. Each player gets 4 play types assigned to them if you choose (more depth). Each team has 50 play slots and a player can have up to 32 plays called for them. Those plays were the pnr plays for Kyrie Irving. So as I called the play for him I chose the play I wanted as I was coming up the floor. He has 7-8 pages of plays for him, 4 plays per page...

Follow Here For NBA2k22 Playbook Updates
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...a-x-s-o-s.html
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #151
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
....A fully customizable franchise with injuries tied to the leagues entire history, logo editor and the ability to play it as a GM only is something I dont think Madden has ever had.

In fact Lakers24 posted his entire wishlist in one thread which ended up being probably the most liked thread in this forums history, and 2k put almost everything from his list in the game in a year's time.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ersion-me.html

Im sure we all want these games to improve in some aspect, but you seem to dismiss everything people say in here all of the time, while the series continues to go lacking.

I roll with the consumer first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I digress, you are right ďitís just too hardĒ because there are 11 or 22 people to account for. SMH whatís the excuse for cfm?
Didn't want this highlighted stuff getting lost in the melee, especially in this thread where Ben has taken over Franchise mode. For me the 5v5 vs 11v11 excuse is moot anyway when past football games, even past Maddens, have offered better/NFL emulating game play aspects than Madden has currently and when this exact same company, EA Tib, struggles with even 5v5 game play in NBA Live, to the point where its' been canceled before.

That same excuse is completely irrelevant to why Madden Franchise mode, in the title that invented the Franchise mode, is so lacking in authenticity compared to other top sport's comparable modes and team management depth. NBA2k, The Show, OOTP, HC09, NFL2k5, Tecmo Super Bowl and Madden 2005 have aspects in their Franchise like modes that current Madden doesn't, 11v11 > 5v5 isn't an excuse for that, there's no excuse for that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #152
Tiger Paw

tyberious4now's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Honestly as time goes on, and people post more and more, I'm starting to believe that point not to be true. Some of the things I see people post in response, or defense of Madden, leads me to believe they do not want the type of NFL game that I do.
This right here speaks volumes Sage...We are a divided community on OS some of us old school cats have been hearing the same rhetoric from EA for 20 years or longer...

It's really time to just keep it real and acknowledged if EA could they would but they can't and they aint...That's the bottom line point blank period...

It's just time to move on from EA football!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »