Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #233
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
It's simple, OOTP doesn't strive to have on the field gameplay, but Madden does strive to bring a deep franchise mode. When both games have a similar mode that has the same idea behind it, it is fair to compare them.
The on-field gameplay during franchise is necessarily part of Madden's franchise mode experience. That's the reason Tiburon builds on-field gameplay mechanics (Weekly Training earning XP, game results earning XP) and presentation elements (any franchise-specific thing Brandon Gaudin and Charles Davis yap about, season on-field art for holidays, playoff and Super Bowl presentation elements, etc.) as part of the mode. If you're not including the on-field gameplay in franchise as part of your comparison between Madden and text simulators, you're not making a fair comparison.

I'll put it this way: my friends don't play Front Office Football because FOF doesn't let them throw passes and break tackles, so that they can do that while playing Franchise in Madden obviously matters.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #234

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
It's simple, OOTP doesn't strive to have on the field gameplay, but Madden does strive to bring a deep franchise mode. When both games have a similar mode that has the same idea behind it, it is fair to compare them. My whole point is that the fact that I can control a QB in Madden has no burden on whether or not the CFM guys can get accurate contracts. The fact that OOTP doesn't try to have the same type of gameplay on the field is irrelevant to the argument. It isn't like the same team is working on gameplay and CFM for Madden so there is no reason to compare the game's on field gameplay. It is fair to compare both of their franchise modes when both are striving for a deep mode and both have teams dedicated to those modes solely.
I'm not sure that's a fair comparison at all.

Don't get me wrong, I want the same thing that you, and many others do with offline franchise.

But you're comparing a game that has a production team dedicated to basically one thing and one thing only. A text sim with a very in depth franchise mode.

To a team that has to juggle multiple modes and different difficulties when they are already spread thin as it is.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #235
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis

Don't get me wrong, I want the same thing that you, and many others do with offline franchise.

But you're comparing a game that has a production team dedicated to basically one thing and one thing only. A text sim with a very in depth franchise mode.

To a team that has to juggle multiple modes and different difficulties when they are already spread thin as it is.

If you are going to do that, saying one is dedicated to just a franchise mode while the other has to juggle franchise along with other things, then you also have to consider resource size. $'s and development team. I don't know for sure who has the bigger development team, but I could take a pretty good guess.

You would really have to compare the Madden franchise development team with OOTP and compare franchise feature set.

As far as multiple franchise modes in Madden, didn't they sell us that CFM would make it much easier to add features since it really is one connected career mode?

Oh, and by the way, in a very platonic way (don't want to give anyone the wrong idea), I luv you kehlis. I think you're a great mod.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #236
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis

But Madden has a team dedicated to CFM, no? I'd be interested in seeing the size of the team dedicated to CFM compared to the small team that makes OOTP. I'd imagine EA spent more resources on Longshot last year than OOTP Developments spends on OOTP each year.

If Madden doesn't have a team dedicated to CFM and has guys working on all modes then I see the issue.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 06-20-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #237
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The on-field gameplay during franchise is necessarily part of Madden's franchise mode experience. That's the reason Tiburon builds on-field gameplay mechanics (Weekly Training earning XP, game results earning XP) and presentation elements (any franchise-specific thing Brandon Gaudin and Charles Davis yap about, season on-field art for holidays, playoff and Super Bowl presentation elements, etc.) as part of the mode. If you're not including the on-field gameplay in franchise as part of your comparison between Madden and text simulators, you're not making a fair comparison.

I'll put it this way: my friends don't play Front Office Football because FOF doesn't let them throw passes and break tackles, so that they can do that while playing Franchise in Madden obviously matters.

I just don't think you and I can see eye to eye on the issue. My problem is why aren't trades more in depth, why aren't there more customization options surround trades. The same thing with contracts. Why aren't negotiations there better? Why aren't there sliders to modify signing players? The fact that you can play as the QB in Madden does not nullify the comparison of trades in OOTP vs in Madden. It doesn't nullify the comparison of customization options like how the AI calculates its overall ratings.

If you are arguing that because I can pass the ball in Madden that it means I can't compare the realism of contracts and everything surround them between both games then I think we should just end the conversation because it will go nowhere.

― Plato
Old 06-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #238
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
If you are arguing that because I can pass the ball in Madden that it means I can't compare the realism of contracts and everything surround them between both games then I think we should just end the conversation because it will go nowhere.
I'll try to state my opinion more clearly - I don't think text simulators and console sports games should be compared because their gameplay experiences and thus their development considerations are very different. They are fundamentally different games designed for different audiences with different expectations.

However, if you choose to compare them because they are both football-themed games - which, do that if you want - then to fairly compare them you must look at every thing each of them offer. That's what I'm trying to say. FOF obviously has stronger front office / roster construction / team management gameplay mechanics than Madden, but Madden by default has stronger football game-day gameplay mechanics than FOF. Unless you are a CPU v CPU or sim-all-game sort of person, you're going to touch on-field gameplay while playing Madden franchise mode, and that gameplay is going to be part of your franchise mode total experience.

As to what Madden should have: I'm in your corner, I want to have all the roster construction bells and whistles in the game too.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:24 PM   #239
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
So they actually spend TIME every year to design and flesh out a highlight show just to throw it away each year? Isn't that wasted resources? Why wouldn't they have those same people take a couple of years to design and flesh out a highlight show? Then maybe they could come up with something they don't want to throw out.
You can't cut anything if you don't have any ideas on the board to cut. During C&D, you throw everything at the board.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

“The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.”
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #240
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
@adembroski, how much of those realities for producing a highlight show are unique to Madden? I'm a programming layman but it seems to me a general foundation and framework needs to be laid for whatever is done in any game. The issue with Madden, in regard to what Ben stated about wrap up shows and whatnot, is the seeming lack of understanding that gamers are wanting elements that bring the Franchise mode to life, not just some specific wishlist item of video highlights. In NFL2k5 for PS2 there were no video highlights, yet the Sportscenter show itself was still immersive and effective at bringing the mode to life.

You've been behind the curtain, what in your opinion is the reason when seeming conventional wisdom, common sense and precedence isn't applied to the development, design and decision making for Madden?
Objection, you're leading the witness. I don't accept the premise of the question.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

“The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.”
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »