Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #249
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I wish you guys would've asked them about coordinators and position coaches. Particularly reasons for them to not:

1. Even be in the game
2. They're quality to have a MAJOR impact over the progression system

I want to know if it's some NFL thing going on or is Madden not just willing to put in the resources.
Ben already talked about in an interview somewhere. He discussed it's very different getting into the game now vs when they were in before. Ben mentioned something similar to the affect that all of them need signed contracts and before they didn't.

Sounds like they are trying to work to get them in the game.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #250
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I wish you guys would've asked them about coordinators and position coaches. Particularly reasons for them to not:

1. Even be in the game
2. They're quality to have a MAJOR impact over the progression system

I want to know if it's some NFL thing going on or is Madden not just willing to put in the resources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Ben already talked about in an interview somewhere. He discussed it's very different getting into the game now vs when they were in before. Ben mentioned something similar to the affect that all of them need signed contracts and before they didn't.

Sounds like they are trying to work to get them in the game.
There's that disconnect again though, that I keep referring to. Ben knows that the coordinators/position coaches monikers, are a separate thing from having real life coaches licensed because NCAA Football Dynasty had Coaching Carousel. Not to mention the positions were in M12 and even in Madden today, Bill Belicheat isn't licensed but NE still has a Head Coach position, with a generic coach.

It's funny that with the wrap up show, where the question is more about the broader concept of something to bring the league alive and together in Franchise mode, Ben focuses specifically on video highlights but then with a much more specific question about coordinator positions, it seems he goes into a much broader concept of having all the coaches licensed, lol. Stuff like this starts sounding like Madden politicking more so than candor, it is what it is though.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #251
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
There's that disconnect again though, that I keep referring to. Ben knows that the coordinators/position coaches monikers, are a separate thing from having real life coaches licensed because NCAA Football Dynasty had Coaching Carousel. Not to mention the positions were in M12 and even in Madden today, Bill Belicheat isn't licensed but NE still has a Head Coach position, with a generic coach.

It's funny that with the wrap up show, where the question is more about the broader concept of something to bring the league alive and together in Franchise mode, Ben focuses specifically on video highlights but then with a much more specific question about coordinator positions, it seems he goes into a much broader concept of having all the coaches licensed, lol. Stuff like this starts sounding like Madden politicking more so than candor, it is what it is though.

Agreed. I'd assume the overwhelming majority of players wouldn't even know the assistants of their favorite team so if Madden had the positions, but not real coaches in there not many would complain. If they were editable and shareable with the roster then it would also help alleviate any issues.

There does seem to be more of a disconnect than I realized with things like this. Even here on OS I would imagine most of us would want them in even if it meant they were all fictional people. Let us edit them completely and share them and we'd all be happy.

It seems the devs cannot understand what the community is looking for in these features and they think they require so much more to be happy and it just isn't true. That may be where "they're so hard to please" lines come from all of the time. They think we want feature A with B, C, and D tacked onto it when really feature A in a basic form is all we really want and wouldn't mind to see it be added to over the years.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #252
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Code can be rewritten. It probably should be rebuilt, but it's not a total necessity to make a good football game. It does need some EXTENSIVE auditing and code snipping.

Wasn't that what they said they did when Madden released on next gen consoles? Rebuilt the code and it was supposed to make it easier for them to quickly add assets on the fly throughout the games life and make development much easier each year as well? Yet over the course of Madden on next gen there have really been no new features added and it's still falling well short of the features games like Madden 06 and the NCAA franchise had.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #253
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Agreed. I'd assume the overwhelming majority of players wouldn't even know the assistants of their favorite team so if Madden had the positions, but not real coaches in there not many would complain. If they were editable and shareable with the roster then it would also help alleviate any issues.

There does seem to be more of a disconnect than I realized with things like this. Even here on OS I would imagine most of us would want them in even if it meant they were all fictional people. Let us edit them completely and share them and we'd all be happy.

It seems the devs cannot understand what the community is looking for in these features and they think they require so much more to be happy and it just isn't true. That may be where "they're so hard to please" lines come from all of the time. They think we want feature A with B, C, and D tacked onto it when really feature A in a basic form is all we really want and wouldn't mind to see it be added to over the years.

This is how NBA 2k does it and it works well. You can also have retiring players become assistant/head coach options as well, NBA does that and I believe Madden used to in the past as well.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #254
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
But you said designed and fleshed out then scrapped every year.

Which is it. Designed and fleshed out every year OR no ideas on board?

I'm thinking what's meant is they formulate various features , with details of what each would do / affect and how that would be achieved , including what work would be involved to introduce this , rather than actually do the work itself in any physical form
Old 06-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #255
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey986
This is how NBA 2k does it and it works well. You can also have retiring players become assistant/head coach options as well, NBA does that and I believe Madden used to in the past as well.
Yep, it sure did, added immersion and made sense too because you had retired players, initially coaching the positions they played.

That's why it's funny to me when anyone tries to imply players like myself that have played Madden so much since the exclusive and have such a depth of experience with the game over that time, are ignorant Madden haters and/or 2k fanboys. I've seen good elements in Madden get stripped out and nothing comparable put in its' place for years, if ever, so what some see as hate, is often frustration with the untapped potential.

The irony around Madden that I noticed when I played way more was that generally the ones who didn't acknowledge the issues raised, played the game far less, than those that did. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #256
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
If I had to pick one thing to call Madden's #1 albatross, the one thing that keeps them from truly achieving, it's an inconsistent dedication to multi-year features. They rarely revisit/expand/or correct features. They abandon features that don't do well rather than retooling them to make them worthwhile. I believe this stems from inconsistent leadership and corporate overseers that area always analyzing the market mathematically rather than letting designers design. One thing I never buy from EA is the 5 year plan, or the 3 year plan, or the alternating cycle. It's one and done, each and every year. THat's the biggest problem.

Madden is behind both of those games in terms of feature completeness and authenticity

PPS: I did see your questions regarding specific gameplay, I'm just too tired to answer atm.
I agree 1000%. This is what really annoys me with madden. They put in a somewhat great feature then never touch it again or better yet they just scrap it. I immediately think of gameplanning and offensive line work. How great could that be now if they continued to touch on those areas every year? 2k takes an idea then implements it and then perfects it (open to opinions) in the following years to come. I remember Clint saying after all the offensive line work how far they still had to go with it, but at least now they can continue to build on it in the future now that they got the logic or whatever in. That was 3 years ago. We still don’t have line stunts and all the things I posted about earlier in my question as far as pockets and OL/DL interactions. The only area I can think of that would say otherwise is they have actually worked on the zones logic 3 years in a row now. This is where I’m up in arms. On 1 hand in 2k I’m happy with them touching on multiple things and adding as much to the game in 1 cycle as I know that even if it’s not perfect it’s better then nothing and I know they will continue to work on it in the following years. With madden I’d rather them kill an idea and go all in with it as if not done right we are screwed for the next 5 years before they revisit it again. Two totally different philosophies... I also agree that madden is way behind the others in authenticity and completeness and this is 1 of the biggest reasons why imo...

I look forward to your response in the PPS with the gameplay question.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »