Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #265
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Ncaa football was 11 v 11 too and they figured it out and did a pretty damn good job imo.
Lot of revisionist history with NCAA. Love the game and still play it but it had its issues that were voiced loudly on here at the time it was out especially concerning the ease of running the option and the weak CPU run game. Pretty sure deep safety coverage was still an issue as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #266
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Ncaa football was 11 v 11 too and they figured it out and did a pretty damn good job imo.
No doubt. And if I remember correctly they were basically using the same gameplay engine as madden correct???

I could be wrong on this but if I am not, it sure wasn't a deterrent to them
Old 06-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #267
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

I'm willing to give Haumiller and Guerrero a chance to bring their vision to the Madden platform. I honestly think it'll take this plus one more dev cycle to see what their intentions really are for CFM and the Madden franchise as a whole.

Regardless as to whose fault it is, the Madden team dug themselves into a HUGE hole. I went back to 2k18 this week just for kicks and giggles and was reminded how many worlds ahead of Madden that game's franchise mode is. Sliders for draft class talent, player development, trade logic, etc. That game even lets you generate advanced-stat graphs for your pro scouting department. That kind of gap takes time to close.

Not thrilled with the additions to CFM this year, but we'll see if it's just window dressing or the sign of better things to come. Carlos and Ben are saying most of the right things.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #268
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I think this is a very good point stress. You may have hit the nail on the head. The answer could be as simple as they just don't care about CFM because they don't feel it will sell more games.
Maybe it doesn’t sell more games, but as someone posted earlier with the 90% of users play CFM data what about catering to your audience and giving the people what they want? You know, the people who pay for the game already every year. If I saw 90% played that mode it would be on my table. We all know how Rex was using and would reference “the data” the last 3-4 years. He would say things like well the data says otherwise or that’s not what the data says so we scratched it. You would think that would be a major focus moving forward though, but that being said they did add to it this year and last year they took the main cfm guy away from that area correct? So, hopefully it’s added on in the next few years... We’ll see but as roadman said history tells us.... lol
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #269
MVP

briz1046's Arena

I feel the bosses at EA are still living in the nineties when Madden was one of the premier video games ( not just sports games ) and regard their potential consumers as any gamer , thus attempting to appeal to people who play COD etc

In reality things have changed dramatically since then , certainly here in the UK .

Whilst anecdotal evidence is never compelling , I know many gamers and not one if them would ever even consider buying or playing Madden , they have no interest in it at all , because they have no interest in the sport, in contrast the few NFL fans I know all buy/play it to varying degrees

I can't say whether this translates well to the USA , obviously the major market , but if it does, focusing on nfl fans ( ie authentic gameplay/ franchise mode )rather than gamers ( RPG elements and user focus) would seem the logical strategy
Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #270
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I know that many would argue that they should have know from monitoring various forms of social media over the years exactly what we wanted in terms of adding coaching staffs, but I guess that wasn't the case.

Whether on Twitter or through the GCs the message of, "hey we don't care it they're all fake, we want coordinators anyway" didn't seem to really sink in for a long time. Or it could be possible that they did know, but for some reason organizationally they were married to the concept of real coordinators.

Another part or it IMO is them figuring out how they were going to incorporate them fully into the game while still utilizing the XP system which they don't want to scrape. The chatter makes it seem like they've finally figured some things out.

People with some juice in the company are always going to have their pet projects that are to get put in even if isn't something that the consumers have asked for or even want. Some stay around, like "beyond broadcast", Some eventually get modified, "XP", and other crash and burn immediately, "Target Passing"

Those kind of things will always gum up the works when it comes to the team having the resources to work on the stuff that people here really want.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #271
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBarber
I think the Devs feel the need to upgrade zones each year because of how much focus the comp community has on finding and perfecting money plays. Zones are the only feature they’ve actually continued to “improve” every year so it’s obvious that they are just prioritizing what they feel the community that they tailor to wants.

The problem is that constantly fixing zones is just a band-aid. IMO, the problem is that the game's pass rush dynamics make it too easy for the kids to "roll to the right" every play. If we had legitimate pocket formation and collapse that forces you to step-up in the pocket rather than merely sprint outside every time, those passing windows and coverages become much more challenging to complete and exploit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #272
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
The problem is that constantly fixing zones is just a band-aid. IMO, the problem is that the game's pass rush dynamics make it too easy for the kids to "roll to the right" every play. If we had legitimate pocket formation and collapse that forces you to step-up in the pocket rather than merely sprint outside every time, those passing windows and coverages become much more challenging to complete and exploit.
I 100% believe that they could fix this today, but are deathly afraid of running off most of their casual players.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »