Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #289
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
It has always seemed to me like Madden's devs seem to value their own ideas more so than those of the gamers. Good examples in this post, but let's look at CFM this year.

Untouched last year CFM basically went two cycles untouched. For two cycles, games have asked for several key improvements/features in franchise. CPU roster management, CPU draft logic, trade logic, free agency, contracts, coordinators, better presentation, etc.

Custom draft classes is a big addition, and I'm wait and see on archetypes, but with all these features gamers have been asking for for two years now, why did they decide on 3D backgrounds and team captains? More stuff, like in your post, that nobody asked for.
People have been asking for the team captains thing for many years, but yes, I think all developers/publishers do have a "father know best attitude" about many parts of their games, but gamers will be more tolerant of it IMO if they love the game and if much of what the consumer wants does make it in addition to the devs choice items. This is where Madden has dropped the ball for a long time, especially on the Franchise front.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #290
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Eh, the victim card goes both ways and it should end on both sides.

Hello, Rex, is that you or hello Ben, is that you or Do you have ties with EA, etc.......

Just because some can tolerate the game more than others shouldn't have a label addressed to them and the opposite should work the same. Just because people are frustrated with the game, they shouldn't be labeled, either.

I think AJ's post makes the picture a bit more clearer and frustrating on all different levels.
Imo you're better than this Road, I kind of expect this rhetoric from some here but not you. "Victim card", "entitlement", "agendas", etc, that's laughable terminology on a video game forum. That labeling mess shouldn't even be used in political, cultural, etc discourse, imo but I find it absolutely inapplicable in an innocuous video game discussion.

That said, I agree with your overall point though about open discussion, just was surprising to see you seem to start off your post labeling then end it speaking out against labeling, lol. It's all good though man.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #291
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Ha, I thought I covered myself with the "both ways", but yeah, I could have used better phraseology.

I think most understood what I meant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #292
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey986
Wasn't that what they said they did when Madden released on next gen consoles? Rebuilt the code and it was supposed to make it easier for them to quickly add assets on the fly throughout the games life and make development much easier each year as well? Yet over the course of Madden on next gen there have really been no new features added and it's still falling well short of the features games like Madden 06 and the NCAA franchise had.
I don't remember if that's what they said. Knowing what I know of David Ortiz, they probably did. David Ortiz lied a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm not sure about the 3D backgrounds, but T4Verts did a survey on OS in January or so and he sent it over to John White. 4 of the 5 top requests made it into CFM.

Take it for what it's worth.
Front-end 3D rendering is the critical foundational piece necessary for a recap show, player models in game stories, and I'm sure a hundred other features people could come up with. Nobody expressly asked for it, but a lot of people ask for features that require it.

I'm surprised they did it. I read somewhere that frostbite made it easier and, frankly, I'm a bit surprised by that. But hey, I'm glad it did. I don't have much faith in EA as a whole iterating on a feature and improving it, but I do have faith in Haumiller.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #293
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
People have been asking for the team captains thing for many years, but yes, I think all developers/publishers do have a "father know best attitude" about many parts of their games, but gamers will be more tolerant of it IMO if they love the game and if much of what the consumer wants does make it in addition to the devs choice items. This is where Madden has dropped the ball for a long time, especially on the Franchise front.
I agree with everything you've said here, but one thing that has been so troubling about the madden team is this. They are not making an adventure game here. It's not something that needs to be "invented". You are making a sports game where the premise of the game starts with COPYING something that exists in real life. The challenge comes with attempting to MODEL that real world element.

What frustrates the living hell out of me (and many others apparently), is that instead of starting with what happens in real life, they think that they can re-invent football concepts that will be "more fun" in their game. That's why people are so enamored with the Show and NBA 2k. They start with modeling real life. They don't invent some sort of "funned" up version of that. You're copying what's real, that is what makes sports games so special. It provides a doorway for us to step into the life of pro athletes, GMs and owners. That's what makes it fun. If you strip away the realism aspects, it's just another arcade game that makes me lose interest in an hour.

All of the BS excuses about competitive/Sim or whatever is nonsense. You build the game with the idea of simulating the real thing FIRST. Then you provide as many options as possible to customize that experience to fit the fringe users. Your core fan base is your bread and butter, but you will attract the casual gamers if you allow them to customize to their level. All of the successful sports franchises do this - EXCEPT MADDEN. Madden starts with the lowest common denominator and then tries to band aid the simulation aspects in after the fact, which is much more difficult. Then they turn around and tell the consumer that there are "technical challenges". I'm sorry, but they're not a good development studio. The "suits" are not telling them that they need to rewrite the same stuff every year because the previous year it was a mess. Further, the consumer shouldn't care if that is what's going on. That's their problem and they should be the ones to solve it.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #294
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBarber
That’s the thing with madden lol.. they have had legacy issues dating back to ps2/Xbox days still in this game with code that they have literally no clue what their functions are, yet consistently put more code into the game that ends up being left alone for years. And it just piles up every single year, mostly untouched. They need a complete redo, or at least thoroughly investigate what the old code does and what it will change when it’s removed and take as much of it out as possible. Rework the game to make it look like it has been made in 2018 (not talking about graphics). And then actually stick to their word of building new features.

didn't they redo all the code on the new gen system though? I could have sworn they did, and cited the legacy issues as the main reason. they hyped how all the new code gave them the ability to add new features with ease going forward, but that hasn't been the case at all.

i'm gonna dig around and see if i can't find that interview where they talked about it. i'm pretty sure it was just discussed on reddit not too long ago.

Last edited by lopey986; 06-21-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #295
Rookie

YaBarber's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I agree with you to a point. But I do think everything needs a counter. The way madden does things is they add something like the RB jukes last year and they make it overpowered. They fixed it this year supposedly and added the strafe 1 cut to counter. That’s great yet a year lossed with it being OP. This year they add push the pile for offense yet how do we counter that? Why can’t I do the same thing with my LB and we can truly fight for every inch? Some route concepts in certain zones you couldn’t stop which is why again a year later they fixed it with trips and bunch turning into mable. Certain routes being OP because man coverage is broke. OK well band aid it until you get it right and make shading work as intended.

You are right though and I’m with you as far as build foundation and fundamentals properly and counters like above might not be needed. But for now I think counters most definitely are needed or we end up in offensive shootouts unless you heavily adjust sliders...
Yeah I understand that for sure. The game we have now needs that sort of balance. It just sucks because it ends up looking so ugly because it’s typically flashy new things that need buzzwords like “One-Cut” and “Push the Pile”
1. A natural movement that most athletes do while running/trying to get past people and
2. Bracing yourself behind a blocker because you’re not a rag doll and don’t want to be like Mark Sanchez.

Those shouldn’t be back of the box features but here we are lol. Push the pile with no counter to it and what they described is a 3-man interaction so if this happens in the hole then what happens to the rest of the guys in the trenches? Guess we’ll see but the track record says it’ll be OP.

Last edited by YaBarber; 06-21-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #296
Rookie

YaBarber's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey986
didn't they redo all the code on the new gen system though? I could have sworn they did, and cited the legacy issues as the main reason. they hyped how all the new code gave them the ability to add new features with ease going forward, but that hasn't been the case at all.

i'm gonna dig around and see if i can't find that interview where they talked about it. i'm pretty sure it was just discussed on reddit not too long ago.
Nope. They said they went in and scrapped some legacy stuff and “fixed” others but it’s very clear by watching 2 minutes of M15-19 videos that legacy issues still are very much there. i’m sure there’s other things they did for legacy code that isn’t very noticeable but still seeing tackling/kicking/throwing/catching animations that have been unchanged for years kinda makes whatever they might have done pretty irrelevant to me.

But overall no they didn’t redo everything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »