Home

Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #105
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
You have some good points. But I think NBA 2k has surpassed madden even as a competitive title. I mean Jesus Christ they have a darn league complete with a draft and combine and everything. I would say that's taking your gaming pretty dang serious lol
I'm speaking more to mechanics than exposure. Madden 18 might be the most balanced, most consistent, and most reliable online head-to-head sports game I've ever touched.

On the exposure front, however: last I read (about a month ago via PastaPadre), that NBA 2K league has been a colossal flop so far. 2K's e-sport scene simply can't touch Madden's right now. The Madden scene admittedly isn't huge relative to Fortnite or Overwatch, but it's been around for over a decade and a firmly entrenched fixture on the periphery of the scene because it grew organically over time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #106
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Was NCAA Football 5x5. And what does 5X5 have to do with a Pregame/Half Time/Postgame show?
Preferences. My point is 5 players are easier to work with than 11 per side. I would be more interested in comparing NBA2K to NBA Live 19 which apparently has made great leaps, than to compare a basketball game to a football game.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 06-19-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #107
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I'm speaking more to mechanics than exposure. Madden 18 might be the most balanced, most consistent, and most reliable online head-to-head sports game I've ever touched.

On the exposure front, however: last I read (about a month ago via PastaPadre), that NBA 2K league has been a colossal flop so far. 2K's e-sport scene simply can't touch Madden's right now. The Madden scene admittedly isn't huge relative to Fortnite or Overwatch, but it's been around for over a decade and a firmly entrenched fixture on the periphery of the scene because it grew organically over time.

What mechanics?

2K has

Pro-Am
The Park - with a sandbox neighborhood
and a separate version tied to their E-League where players are getting salaries, free housing, benefits medical, dental, etc paid for by actual NBA teams

and you're going to tell me that its a flop because you read it on pastapadre.com?
Old 06-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #108
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Preferences. My point is 5 players are easier to work with than 11 per side. I would be more interested in comparing NBA2K to NBA Live 19 which apparently has made great leaps, than to compare a basketball game to a football game.
I wholeheartedly disagree, and would like to know why you say this?

It's not just the number of players but basketball is a continually moving game that has many aspects to account for that would make your head spin.

We could do it line by line but that's another conversation, but when you guys say this please explain how, and how much do you know about developing a great basketball game with tons of fleshed out modes.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #109
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I wholeheartedly disagree, and would like to know why you say this?

It's not just the number of players but basketball is a continually moving game that has many aspects to account for that would make your head spin.

We could do it line by line but that's another conversation, but when you guys say this please explain how, and how much do you know about developing a great basketball game with tons of fleshed out modes.
If you're the professional programmer, then maybe you can tell me how my perspective is wrong?

Curious, how many zones are in 2K and their logics?

NOt seeing constant player movement here...Still how is 5v5 more complicated than 11v11?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4xCUJgLt0

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 06-19-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #110
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
If you're the professional programmer, then maybe you can tell me how my perspective is wrong?

Curious, how many zones are in 2K and their logics?
What is it you're asking about 2k? How many offenses there are? Plays and variations as well as counters, Freelances per team? defensive settings to counter those accounting for each player, team formation, coaching strategy to boot?

I was fortunate enough to get some schooling in programming and help out on some AAA game stuff recently so I know more than not.

I've seen a team of devs take over a day fixing on a single issue, dealing with system memory issues and things the average person has no idea about.

If you want to show a shakedown video, tell me what play they just ran at the beginning and what that play entails?
Old 06-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #111
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I welcome constructive criticism. I myself have offered it plenty of times. At no point have I ever said Madden is a perfect game. There are plenty of things I want to see in franchise mode in future versions of Madden. Heck, I told Clint Oldenburg to his face at EA PLAY that the M19 build on display felt slow and unresponsive at the line of scrimmage (aside: he did say that that was going to get cleaned up, there were other issues beyond QB signature animations in that build).

Insinuating that the people who make this game are lazy, as you did earlier in this very thread, is not at all constructive.

Well for starters, I think Madden is very clearly succeeding in its own right. The strides the game has made over the past four or five cycles to me has been really impressive, particularly as a competitive game. I also haven't felt compelled to purchase an NBA 2K game recently, so I don't necessarily agree that they are succeeding above and beyond because nothing they've done has captured my interest. Based on what I have seen and read, however, I do consider NBA 2K to be a better single-player experience than Madden for a number of reasons.

In short, my response is that I see both games succeeding in different ways.
I agree but it was a joke and maybe I should have put a LOL in there but I did say it “feels like” and you only partly quoted my post as I think you understand where it came from. But you having friends there also makes it difficult to be totally unbiased. But it’s also why I did say constructive as I was referring to me as well...

As far as the game and feedback go’s, my dad always told me never to be a yes man or surround yourself with yes men. Why? If you have people working for you always telling you what you want to hear how can you ever grow or expect your business to go where you want it too?! We don’t need yes men telling EA how great their game is, Otherwise it will never become what it could be or in the timeframe that it should. But, I also agree though that it has improved in the last 3-4 years especially under Rex. I’ve said it before, but it’s at a snails pace for me. They fixed a ton of legacy issues last year. That did not go unappreciated! But in no way have I heard or seen that same path this year which is concerning to me. Do I appreciate the things they did do? Yes! But seriously I’m not sure there has been a madden game with this few of big features added dating maybe back to the jump to the next gen consoles and the bare bones we got back then? I mean most people are ecstatic about the additions to CFM, but that’s because it hasn’t seen anything done in years not because the features are wow this is awesome. I’m super excited they finally touched on CPU gameplanning as I have created playbooks for the community the last 3 years to fix the dumb CPU play calling. I’m curious to see how they went about it and if it was a band aid fix or not? I’m also curious to see if this is added upon next year or in the 10 years. To elaborate on that a bit though 2k went to a new motion tech last year and had to completely start over with plays and redo them 1 by 1 as well as defensively redo them for rotations. It was a stepback year in that regard, but you would have never even noticed it was if they didn’t tell us. Now they are building on that tech...

You mentioned telling Clint that it felt slow at the LOS. Well ya everything is now slowed down right? So that will be a adjustment. I had not heard that from anyone yet though... What was slow Or unresponsive to you? The QB cadences? I did see warped speed qb drop back animations that didn’t match the new RPM and the OL sprinting to the line at super speeds though. What about testing the legacy issues and giving feedback. I have sent clint numerous issues and always make sure to leave a positive in there so he doesn’t disregard it.

Anyways, you not having 2k18 makes sense now in not understanding the difference in what 2 companies can do or are capable of. You say nothing they have done has peaked your interest? What modes do you play and what would peak your interest in 2k? What do they NOT have that you do want and that would make you buy it? I will say you for sure missed out on the best playing CPU AI in a b-ball game ever IMO...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #112
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
What mechanics?

2K has

Pro-Am
The Park - with a sandbox neighborhood
and a separate version tied to their E-League where players are getting salaries, free housing, benefits medical, dental, etc paid for by actual NBA teams

and you're going to tell me that its a flop because you read it on pastapadre.com?
Dang! They get all that???? Looks like I need to start playing more 2k lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »