Home

Buying or Not Buying?

This is a discussion on Buying or Not Buying? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #385
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Buying or Not Buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
Totally, totally agree. Madden 06 with somewhat better graphics would have been such a huge win vs the worthless pile of garbage that we got on the PS3.
This is almost always true though of new engines. You are sacrificing short term features for the long game. If it's a non-sports game that's why when a switch to a new engine happens we see a longer cycle. When it's a sports game though generally you're going to see a much more bare bones and/or simply large downstep in how the game plays.

Yes 06 was not very good, I completely agree, but in looking at the long range view IMO it was the right thing to do rather than just doing a port.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #386
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

My only benefit of playing Madden 07-09 was that it was played on a PC. I can't recall if 09 was on a PC, though.

Anyway, the mods were great back then.

Last edited by roadman; 07-19-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #387
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
My only benefit of playing Madden 07-09 was that it was played on a PC. I can't recall if 09 was on a PC, though.

Anyway, the mods were great back then.
08 was the last madden on pc and still has an "existing" mod community
Old 07-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #388
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peroxide4
08 was the last madden on pc and still has an "existing" mod community
Thank you for clarifying that, so, I went to console on 09.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #389
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I also have to disagree with ODogg and say that the decision to not port was the wrong one. I think most would have taken a port with some shinier graphics in year one and then expected growth afterwards. What we got and what is resulted in was not nearly worth it. The franchise has made strides the last few years, but we're still behind thanks to that decision to not port.

Some would have had an issue with it like they do with all sports games, but I don't think EA would have gotten any more flack for it than any other sports dev did.

― Plato
Old 07-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #390
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
This is almost always true though of new engines. You are sacrificing short term features for the long game. If it's a non-sports game that's why when a switch to a new engine happens we see a longer cycle. When it's a sports game though generally you're going to see a much more bare bones and/or simply large downstep in how the game plays.

Yes 06 was not very good, I completely agree, but in looking at the long range view IMO it was the right thing to do rather than just doing a port.

They didn’t seem to have a long range view tho, for at least 4 years. No announcers until madden 09, then seemingly replaced every year after until the last 3 or so.

Madden 08 had a weapons rating system, scrapped same year. Madden 09 had rewind, scrapped (thankfully) and user controlled celebrations..scrapped until this year. Madden 10 planned to build a halftime show and built a foundation with Extra Point, scrapped. Set the foundation for gang tackles with pro-tak.. scrapped. Madden 11 was locomotion, ignored until true step was implemented, now replaced by rpm? (I think)

Madden has no long range view. It’s MUT plus something to put on the back of the box. Little to none of the features added since 06 are built on.

We were better off with a port. EA would’ve gotten complaints sure, but madden 06 is also the year EA and the NFL agreed to kill alternative NFL options. The complaints were coming either way.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #391
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I also have to disagree with ODogg and say that the decision to not port was the wrong one. I think most would have taken a port with some shinier graphics in year one and then expected growth afterwards. What we got and what is resulted in was not nearly worth it. The franchise has made strides the last few years, but we're still behind thanks to that decision to not port.

Some would have had an issue with it like they do with all sports games, but I don't think EA would have gotten any more flack for it than any other sports dev did.
This right here!

I expected the same game with just better graphics and when that didn't happen I was stunned and very disappointed. Although I don't feel the entire PS3 era was a disappointment. I really liked Madden 12, the last Madden I really enjoyed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #392
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Right now I don't see myself buying. That could change once the season starts but right now I'm not even considering it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »