Home

Blowing up the backfield needs to be addressed!

This is a discussion on Blowing up the backfield needs to be addressed! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Blowing up the backfield needs to be addressed!

I'm optimistic line play will get a major overhaul at some point in the near future (next couple Maddens). Clint I know has been lobbying for it and is well aware it needs serious work. It's just a tough sell to the suits to commit a lot of resources to line play.

I think if they went at it from the mindset that you could have full 22-player control if they were to accomplish it (and make offensive line interesting to play) then it could get the resources. With the popularity of battle royale modes, I think an 22-player game where players' positions rotate each play in a play now format or have assigned positions in a MyTeam/Squads format could be a big hit. Mix that in with MUT and you're cooking with gas.

Overhauling line play could make defensive line user control a lot more fun and rewarding as well. Could take cues from UFC and give defensive line man moves with button combos and really separate the Von Miller and Khalil Macks of the world who have unlocked almost every move in the book. These moves could be upgraded similarly to UFC. Really the possibilities are endless.

Line play as a whole needs to be much more of a tug of war than it is currently. Right now it's more yes/no where you beat the guy or you don't. But real line play (especially in the run game) is all about leverage, positioning and knowing when to shed the block.

Last edited by Alex the Great; 06-22-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #26
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

I actually think a bigger problem is the CPU running game. Even on All-Madden, it seems I can always figure out when the CPU is running and hold them to under 25 yards per game rushing consistently. CPU Run blocking and run formation selection hopefully got improved. If not, someone who has seen this issue recur in the beta needs to tell the dev team about this. It wrecks the authenticity of the game. I need to fear elite opposing RBs

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #27
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncereBlackout
I understand, yet I’ve still never seen it personally. 8 years in an online CFM and 5 years in an offline. As others noted it may be triggered by one or more user inputs rather than something in the game.
I see it all the time in my Jets CFM but I'm on All Madden with a very young/rebuilding OL so I assumed that's how the game manifests a poor OL. I never use sprint early on.

I see constant insta-sheds as soon as I get to a hole. Most of my recent games, my longest run has been less than ten yards. The sheds are ridiculous too, my OL will have a guy pinned to the outside, giving me a huge hole inside, and the DL will make a crazy spin move back inside and suction-tackle me as if I had no momentum.

My issue is that if I up the Run Block sliders I can't find a happy medium. If I raise it to the point where it gets rid of the insta-blocks I'll be running for 100+ yards against DL's that are far superior to my OL.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

Last edited by ehh; 06-22-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87
I actually think a bigger problem is the CPU running game. Even on All-Madden, it seems I can always figure out when the CPU is running and hold them to under 25 yards per game rushing consistently. CPU Run blocking and run formation selection hopefully got improved. If not, someone who has seen this issue recur in the beta needs to tell the dev team about this. It wrecks the authenticity of the game. I need to fear elite opposing RBs

The AI doesn't really have any design to its run game. The gameplans EA provides just call a mishmash of random plays instead of having a coherent scheme where it can attack left, middle, and right from the same formation and choose its play based on the defensive front and hat count.

It is also a fact that some runs are just better than others, and the EA gameplans tend to favor the runs which aren't as effective. Any run with pulling linemen is particularly dangerous for the AI because the user can reliably shoot the gap vacated by the pulling guard using the weak side linebacker without much fear of a cutback.

I don't know how many here would like it, but a better AI run game would look more like one that a competitive player uses. For example, if you had to worry about the AI running Wham and Stretch in a coherent way any time you played a team that had Deuce Close in their playbook then the AI would get much tougher to play against.

Last edited by stinkubus; 06-22-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #29
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Blowing up the backfield needs to be addressed!

Quote:

U know whatís disappointing seeing in M19 videos that Iíve seen in 18 as well, and affects CPU RB running? Itís the behind the LOS instant juke thatís happening a lot in M19 videos Iíve seen. Iím pretty much positive on everything Iíve seen in multiple videos so far in terms of RPM. But, I have to say, Iíve seen this multiple times where what I believe is a cpu rb getting the handoff, taking a positive step forward or in a NE or NW direction, so to speak, he looks like heís got an open path in front of him, and a Dlineman starts chasing him from behind, or parallel to LOS, the rb makes a poor decision and jukes South for no reason, and the chasing Dlineman or LB is able to tackle him easily for a 2-3 yard loss. What shouldíve been a positive play from what appeared to be an open running lane at the start turns into a negative play because of a poor decision to juke for no reason.

That has me concerned. Now, it could be because many people are playing on arcade, or pro, or whatever, so maybe we wonít know until we play the game.

And, as a side note, AFTER the cpu rb gets PAST the LOS, Iíve seen some really nice jukes. So, itís not that the RBs canít juke at the right time, itís something about taking the handoff and insta juking for no reason that slows them down and allows for a loss of yardage on what shouldíve been a positive gain. And, in these moments Iíve seen, honestly, the sprint button wouldíve been the best option. But, instead theyíre trying to juke a guy who is BEHIND them, lol. So, hoping this isnít a huge problem, but def something Iíve noticed in several videos. If u watch more, watch what the cpu rb does right after taking the handoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:

They should put a cpu tendency slider for running game and passing.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #31
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I see it all the time in my Jets CFM but I'm on All Madden with a very young/rebuilding OL so I assumed that's how the game manifests a poor OL. I never use sprint early on.

I see constant insta-sheds as soon as I get to a hole. Most of my recent games, my longest run has been less than ten yards. The sheds are ridiculous too, my OL will have a guy pinned to the outside, giving me a huge hole inside, and the DL will make a crazy spin move back inside and suction-tackle me as if I had no momentum.

My issue is that if I up the Run Block sliders I can't find a happy medium. If I raise it to the point where it gets rid of the insta-blocks I'll be running for 100+ yards against DL's that are far superior to my OL.

I get ya.

I was just hoping someone (generally) would point it out in my game instead of vaguely mentioning some anecdotal I stashed from a game I canít see and me just having to take their word for it. Or whatís worse, a random YouTube video where I would have to assume the instashed was manufactured as clickbait for views.

At least if someone helped me understand it in my game where I know the teams and slider settings I would understand or believe in its existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »