Home

Cover 4 Match Concept Explained

This is a discussion on Cover 4 Match Concept Explained within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Cover 4 Match Concept Explained

In another thread someone already posted Madden Daily's video explaining how the cover 3 defenses will check to mabel coverage against Bunch and Trips.

In this video one of my favorite Madden YouTubers, Deuce Close, explains the quarters and palms cover 4 concepts which will available to us in M19. He isn't an EA Gamechanger so this isn't a gameplay video but more of a tutorial.

His M18 content was excellent and I was very happy to see he's going to continue making videos for M19. The link is provided below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET4cjB8KP1A

I know it's late in the year, but if you want some of the very best free strategy content available for M18 check out his guides to beating cover 2 and cover 3 using only hot routes and also the videos he did breaking down the Run and Shoot Playbook. Even if you don't use Run and Shoot most playbooks have similar concepts available from different formations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Cover 4 Match Concept Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
In another thread someone already posted Madden Daily's video explaining how the cover 3 defenses will check to mabel coverage against Bunch and Trips.

In this video one of my favorite Madden YouTubers, Deuce Close, explains the quarters and palms cover 4 concepts which will available to us in M19. He isn't an EA Gamechanger so this isn't a gameplay video but more of a tutorial.

His M18 content was excellent and I was very happy to see he's going to continue making videos for M19. The link is provided below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET4cjB8KP1A

I know it's late in the year, but if you want some of the very best free strategy content available for M18 check out his guides to beating cover 2 and cover 3 using only hot routes and also the videos he did breaking down the Run and Shoot Playbook. Even if you don't use Run and Shoot most playbooks have similar concepts available from different formations.
Rex is that you?
Old 06-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Pretty good video. What worries me and him apparently is how man defense plays.. Not just in man to man but how they can man cover within the palms as well...

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 06-21-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
MVP

Man to man looks pretty strong in the gameplay footage we've seen so far. I really want to see if we get the safeties (who have run fits in these defenses) to bite on play action.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

No team in the NFL runs man coverage even 50% of the time. The most man-heavy teams run it 45-49% of defensive snaps. Just a relevant fact for guys hoping man becomes good enough to run nearly every play. It shouldn't be.

Man relies heavily on getting pressure. All coverage does to a large extent, of course. But it's not designed to cover all WRs the entire play.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
No team in the NFL runs man coverage even 50% of the time. The most man-heavy teams run it 45-49% of defensive snaps. Just a relevant fact for guys hoping man becomes good enough to run nearly every play. It shouldn't be.

Man relies heavily on getting pressure. All coverage does to a large extent, of course. But it's not designed to cover all WRs the entire play.
If you are referring to me and my gripes on man defense, I don’t think anyone wants to run anything nearly every play?! I know I don’t. 45-50% is big numbers actually and more then I would have thought. I don’t think anyone wants every route blanketed every play on every route either. All I want is realistic man coverage depending on the players involved and being ratings based. Not 5-6 yard of separation on cuts. Have corners in range to make a play on the ball. Even adaptive AI to pick up on tendencies (but that’s way down the line). That being said, in this scenarios in cover 4 palms or cover 3 match it doesn’t really matter if man is still done poorly. You know what I’m talking about though as we have had this discussion many times as well as you heavily adjusted sliders to account for it in a band aid fix. Hopefully you won’t have to go to such lengths this year for your league...
Old 06-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
Rookie

manEATgod's Arena

About time. I know a few of us have been trying to replicate Quarters coverage for some time now. This is a huge step towards making the quarters scheme realistic.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
If you are referring to me and my gripes on man defense, I don’t think anyone wants to run anything nearly every play?! I know I don’t. 45-50% is big numbers actually and more then I would have thought. I don’t think anyone wants every route blanketed every play on every route either. All I want is realistic man coverage depending on the players involved and being ratings based. Not 5-6 yard of separation on cuts. Have corners in range to make a play on the ball. Even adaptive AI to pick up on tendencies (but that’s way down the line). That being said, in this scenarios in cover 4 palms or cover 3 match it doesn’t really matter if man is still done poorly. You know what I’m talking about though as we have had this discussion many times as well as you heavily adjusted sliders to account for it in a band aid fix. Hopefully you won’t have to go to such lengths this year for your league...

Yeah I just wanted to drop some context. Man coverage will never be truly where I want until alignment & technique affect just as much as ratings.

A 73 OVR backup caliber CB aligned in off man coverage with hips turned outside can shut down Julio Jones' 12 yd out & corner routes entirely, and most verticals. But Julio would feast on just about everything else.

A decent but slow starting CB who is decent at pressing can, when in stack technique, shut down vertical routes on most elite speed WRs with little help over the top a good chunk of the time.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »