Home

What Madden Needs Is A Shift In Priorities

This is a discussion on What Madden Needs Is A Shift In Priorities within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2018, 12:46 AM   #9
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What Madden Needs Is A Shift In Priorities

I believe, the more options, the more necessary it would be to separate and detail the online matchmaking system.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Maybe not in this thread so we could keep the focus on Madden in specific, but personally I’d be thrilled if some people on OS put together a thread or series of threads in the Pro Football forum chock full of layman-level explanations of advanced football concepts. I enjoy learning about the game I watch on Sundays and play on a console on other days, haha.

I may just do that. Love discussing the X's and O's of football. Online forums as a whole have helped improve my general football knowledge a ton. And it's helped a whole lot with my high school kids (not my children, my team).

I dunno, I just want a more detailed Madden. I guess they kinda started with some details in the career mode in '18, with that part where you have to recite back the play calls. I want something similar, where you'll have a play come in based from your OC on gameplan, or you choose it, and you or your QB (you could put this on auto, and it would be based on awareness) has to call the play through the mic. It would make things like the 12th man in Seattle matter. Why? Because it would be genuinely difficult to communicate with your teammates in the loud stadium.

And make it like a voice recognition feature. If you call "0 YAC Ghost Tosser Check Bled 40 Draw", is the live color blue or red? That stuff should matter. If they can't understand you, it will cause issues, just like in real life.

Ask any NFL player, and they'll tell you that there are plenty of times where they don't get the playcall, and they'll either ask the guy next to them, or just run a random route/randomly block.

Last edited by ClintDon; 06-22-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #11
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintDon

And make it like a voice recognition feature. If you call "0 YAC Ghost Tosser Check Bled 40 Draw", is the live color blue or red? That stuff should matter. If they can't understand you, it will cause issues, just like in real life.

Ask any NFL player, and they'll tell you that there are plenty of times where they don't get the playcall, and they'll either ask the guy next to them, or just run a random route/randomly block.
I laughed when I read this because both of these features have been in a game before.

When the kinect came out one of the selling points was calling plays (not extravagant stuff) , timeouts, hikes, etc. But technology is way better nowadays.

And NCAA had the jumbled route feature during loud away games

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

What Madden Needs Is A Shift In Priorities

I think OOTP’s version of Front Office Football will be a huge hit here. I for one am really looking forward to that.

GM and coach and I anticipate being able to create your own plays and playbooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 06-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #13
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
I dunno, I just want a more detailed Madden. I guess they kinda started with some details in the career mode in '18, with that part where you have to recite back the play calls. I want something similar, where you'll have a play come in based from your OC on gameplan, or you choose it, and you or your QB (you could put this on auto, and it would be based on awareness) has to call the play through the mic. It would make things like the 12th man in Seattle matter. Why? Because it would be genuinely difficult to communicate with your teammates in the loud stadium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619

And NCAA had the jumbled route feature during loud away games

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
I loved the NCAA jumbled routes and atmosphere personally! It made playing on the road a factor. Playing in Seattle isn’t any different then playing anywhere else in Madden.Maybe some didn’t like it, but to me it was better then nothing which is what we have now and have always never had in madden in this regard.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I think OOTP’s version of Front Office Football will be a huge hit here. I for one am really looking forward to that.

GM and coach and I anticipate being able to create your own plays and playbooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
No idea what OOTP is. Console or PC?
Old 06-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #15
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
No idea what OOTP is. Console or PC?
Out Of The Park Developments is an indie game dev studio which specializes in text simulator sport management games for PC, iOS, and Android. Their name comes from Out Of The Park Baseball, their critically acclaimed MLB manager game series which recently got MLB and MLBPA licensing.

OOTP recently agreed to publish the next iteration of Front Office Football, a gridiron football manager game by Solecismic Software for PC. FOF is pretty well-regarded speaking to its level of detail, but the latest version still uses Windows forms for all its UI so it looks like it was built in the 1990s. I believe a full UI rebuild is one of the new features for the upcoming version which OOTP will publish.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #16
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
And I completely agree. I think not having that knowledge is the biggest hurdle. But by having it in the game, not only would it please the football nerds, but more people would be able to learn about the game of football....

I completely disagree with the notion that gamers football knowledge should have any impact on implementation of football elements, in a football game. It's more of that illogical perspective that seems so prominent for Madden. There are actual NFL plays in Madden, those plays should be designed and implemented to play out as realistic as possible. That allows the general gamer to still utilize the plays on a basic level, inherently bakes in the option for more football knowledgeable gamers to utilize them in a more robust way and provides real world risk/reward context which potentially incentivies gamers to get better/more knowledgeable about football, not Maddenball/EA Football.

That concept should apply to every reasonable area of Madden, the only area where Madden should prioritize gamers football knowledge is varying User interface.

There was this NASCAR game I played a long time ago, maybe on Nintendo or PS 1, I'm not for sure but anyway the game had "drafting"
Spoiler
I had no idea what drafting was, I think a simple explanation for it was in the manual, anyway, I thought it was cool that they had it and maybe eventually I might could learn to use it somehow but it didn't hinder me as a novice NASCAR gamer from still having fun driving around the race track. In fact throughout my gaming experiences, I've played numerous games with real world concepts beyond my knowledge base at the time (the NES game Spelunker immediately comes to mind, with no internet search engines at the time, my friends and I had no idea WTF that even meant, lol) but I enjoyed them anyway.

Also, if EA Tib would prioritize copying NFL football blueprint for everything applicable, that would be far more likely to help football laymans get better at Madden through accessing real world football material vs Madden guides, etc. It's not like Maddenball/EA Football is any less daunting for a gamer than real football design would be, I'd argue Maddenball is more so because it's way more niche', far less balanced and refined than real football.

So the notion that gamers need to be taught real football before or even while more real football is designed and implemented into Madden is not only illogical, it also is contradictory to how EA currently handles Maddenball/EA Football concepts.

EDIT: I don't believe in positive reinforcement for any game but I did want to provide in-game examples that currently and/or once exist in Madden of what I'm referring to and would like to see more of. The practice squads, catch tackles, players coming back as coordinators, position battles, GAP assignments and run fits, to name a few. Real football elements like these don't hinder the fun of Madden, they make it more immersive and comprehensive.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 06-23-2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Balance

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »