Home

What Madden Needs Is A Shift In Priorities

This is a discussion on What Madden Needs Is A Shift In Priorities within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-25-2018, 02:51 AM   #17
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What Madden Needs Is A Shift In Priorities

The hard part of this is appealing to a certain niche: football heads.

I myself have played football before and most likely will (try to) play Division II ball. Iíve studied the game, lived the game, breathed the game.

But I guarantee you that some regular high schooler isnít gonna know what the hell an A-gap blitz is, or what man-free coverage with a shadow safety looks like.

The game appeals mostly to young adults who like football, and thatís it. Itís a sad reality but something that Iím okay with.

If EA or someone else with 10x the competency made a ďtrueĒ football simulation game, I doubt anybody outside of the ďfootball lifeĒ would understand it. Even me. There are some things that the pros do that leave me awestruck.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-25-2018, 03:54 AM   #18
Rookie

They canít even get the basic physics right. This is looking like a real rough madden year.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:21 AM   #19
Rookie

4-2-5 is in M19 and the super human LBs have tone down.

NCAA Blitz is in the game is just called something else. Creating your own blitzes is done with hot calls now.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #20
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I think OOTP’s version of Front Office Football will be a huge hit here. I for one am really looking forward to that.

GM and coach and I anticipate being able to create your own plays and playbooks.

Personally, I hate it. If Madden's franchise mode is too much of a speadsheet game with no personality, FOF is a statistics text book by comparison. Free agency, the draft, the "coach draft," everything- just a list of numbers.

Not to mention the tactical side of the game works exactly like madden. Just plays randomly chosen based on situational variables. I've actually seen how SuperSim works and it's a lot better than what FOF has (assuming someone tunes it worth a damn... I'll give FOF that, at least the mathematical systems are tuned properly most of the time).

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

ďThe only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.Ē
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 06-25-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #21
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Personally, I hate it. If Madden's franchise mode is too much of a speadsheet game with no personality, FOF is a statistics text book by comparison. Free agency, the draft, the "coach draft," everything- just a list of numbers.

Not to mention the tactical side of the game works exactly like madden. Just plays randomly chosen based on situational variables. I've actually seen how SuperSim works and it's a lot better than what FOF has (assuming someone tunes it worth a damn... I'll give FOF that, at least the mathematical systems are tuned properly most of the time).
I'm hoping they get rid of the god awful coach draft. That killed immersion for me last time I tried to play. But I still hope some day Madden gets to a point where their franchise mode is on par with something like fof in terms of depth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #22
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
The hard part of this is appealing to a certain niche: football heads.

I myself have played football before and most likely will (try to) play Division II ball. I’ve studied the game, lived the game, breathed the game.

But I guarantee you that some regular high schooler isn’t gonna know what the hell an A-gap blitz is, or what man-free coverage with a shadow safety looks like.

The game appeals mostly to young adults who like football, and that’s it. It’s a sad reality but something that I’m okay with.

If EA or someone else with 10x the competency made a “true” football simulation game, I doubt anybody outside of the “football life” would understand it. Even me. There are some things that the pros do that leave me awestruck.

I don't understand this notion at all, EA Tib seems to share it but it makes no sense. If x real football play call is in, having it function as close to real life as possible doesn't automatically make it more difficult or less fun for football novice gamer than the game is now.

Just because that is programmed in, doesn't mean the User has to directly control or manage it. There are all manner of Maddenball concepts that have been in Madden that myself and other gamers don't understand but that hasn't stopped us from playing the game anyway.

Unless they are playing in some Co-op mode with more than 1 User on each team, the other 20/21 in-game players are AI/CPU controlled, they are going to be programmed to do something, it makes the most sense that the "something" be based on real football, right?

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 06-25-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #23
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
What Madden Needs Is A Shift In Priorities

Part of the problem is the base game of Madden. This game started out with dl and ol programmed together. The dl always headed to thier blocker instead of attacking the qb from 06 to at least madden 15.

The way the plays are chosen are also coded from the very beginning. Going back to Ian Cummings, he said they wouldnít be able to split defense calls between the front 7 and the secondary without rewriting the whole game.

Iíd love this stuff. Kill for it actually. Anything to add more strategy, especially to the defensive side of the ball where youíre only responsible for the play call and 1 player on the field. Itís not happening. EA doesnít see it as a priority, isnít going to rebuild the game from scratch and has the market essentially cornered so no other serious developer can push madden into doing it.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #24
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Part of the problem is the base game of Madden. This game started out with dl and ol programmed together. The dl always headed to thier blocker instead of attacking the qb from 06 to at least madden 15.

The way the plays are chosen are also coded from the very beginning. Going back to Ian Cummings, he said they wouldn’t be able to split defense calls between the front 7 and the secondary without rewriting the whole game.
That's one aspect I've always enjoyed in NFL2k/APF2k defensive playcalling vs Madden is the ability to select the dline assignments separate from the lb/secondary coverage/blitz responsibilities. Add that to ability to shift all three levels pre-snap and the possibilities are nearly endless.

I 've always been curious as to why Tiburon never implemented that in Madden. Based on what Cummings said, they likely never will unless they skip a year of release for two-years of development which is highly unlikely.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »