Home

Archetype/Badge/Icon Ideas

This is a discussion on Archetype/Badge/Icon Ideas within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Archetype/Badge/Icon Ideas

I don't like most badges and don't believe in boosts for the most part. I think it is not realistic. Some are ok.

For things like getting a speed deduction in the snow, it shouldn't be a badge. That should just be how the gameplay works. Same thing with others like tall receivers and such. The attributes should just match up better and thus the players will perform better, they wouldn't get a boost.

For the playoff thing, maybe it could affect confidence which could affect performance (Peyton = one and done) but that is something to think of way down the line. Or a team captain could give his teammates a a confidence boost. Implementing this half baked would suck though.

The release times, maybe but it doesn't have to be a badge, it can just be their release speed.

I think badges that pertain to these types of ratings would be cool if they were descriptive rather than gave a boost or deduction. Like if a player has 95 speed 95 accel then he is a speedster, which might be attractive to Al Davis. Or something like that.

NBA 2K has badges but they are really poorly implemented and should just be ratings, it convolutes things a lot more than is necessary.

I think there may be a place for badges but they'd have to really be thought out and not overlap with ratings that are logical. I kind of like the idea of them being modifiers for weather (Brady is real good in the cold, others may have more severe penalties) but again, needs a lot of thought.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 06-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
MVP

saintrules's Arena

OVR: 0

The point of the badges to me is team building.

To me, it's less about actually making a difference in the play on the field compared to giving a visual or insight to the actual player/team you're facing.

I want to see stuff, isn't that why we play? In my 30+ seasons of CFM over the last three years, I've spent a great deal of time making up stories in my head or visualizing players with badges because the game is so freaking surface level and soft.

If the Steelers win 3 Superbowls in five seasons, shouldn't there visually be something related to that on their team page or profile? That's where a badge/icon or some sort of recognition comes in for me.

It's a little arcade, but at the same time, this is a video game. Maybe they can implement something for hardcore sim players to turn that off...there's no way they can't.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #11
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

This is a slippery slope that sounds too much like the weapons of Madden 08. Been playing since 95 and 08 was the only madden I’ve returned within the first month of buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #12
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingd803
I agree with the ratings being too high. You don’t like how 2k8 did it though? Quick Release gave you a quicker animation.

And I agree that you should have negative badges. But I doubt EA would ever do that.

On general principle, I don't like anything that begins changing animations for a particular player to be honest. Now, having different styles for running or throwing is one thing; but imagine an Aaron Donald getting a badge for a "mo-capped" pass rush move. I think it gets to be a slippery slope when you start to mo-cap "signature moves" for guys. If you play NBA 2k, it is a mess of long, drawn-out "signature" animations that don't flow with the rest of the gameplay. Everything looks great, and then it is like, "oh geez, here is the unstoppable dribble drive animation for player X". It is immersion-killing to me and I really don't want to see that sort of thing in Madden.

Now, if you want to use badges as a way of signifying the "type" of player a guy is based on a pre-defined combinations of ratings (with no other inherent boosts), I'm OK with that. But for many of the things you're talking about (like a QB's release), I think they are better captured by individual ratings so that they can be graduated (and not "this guy has it, this one doesn't").

Not saying it can't work, but more like, "careful what you wish for".
Old 06-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncereBlackout
This is a slippery slope that sounds too much like the weapons of Madden 08. Been playing since 95 and 08 was the only madden I’ve returned within the first month of buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last year a friend of mine got his hands on a PS2 and a copy of Madden 08. We sat down and played around with it and within an hour of practice I was user catching fades for one play TDs against almost every defense in the game. Clicking on and breaking up the pass with your CB was your only hope.

Comeback routes were also super glitchy because they couldn't be bumped and if your opponent tried you could throw a sort of pop pass to them once they got past the DB for an auto completion and often a big play if they didn't have help to that side.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
I don't like most badges and don't believe in boosts for the most part. I think it is not realistic. Some are ok.

For things like getting a speed deduction in the snow, it shouldn't be a badge. That should just be how the gameplay works. Same thing with others like tall receivers and such. The attributes should just match up better and thus the players will perform better, they wouldn't get a boost.

For the playoff thing, maybe it could affect confidence which could affect performance (Peyton = one and done) but that is something to think of way down the line. Or a team captain could give his teammates a a confidence boost. Implementing this half baked would suck though.

The release times, maybe but it doesn't have to be a badge, it can just be their release speed.

I think badges that pertain to these types of ratings would be cool if they were descriptive rather than gave a boost or deduction. Like if a player has 95 speed 95 accel then he is a speedster, which might be attractive to Al Davis. Or something like that.

NBA 2K has badges but they are really poorly implemented and should just be ratings, it convolutes things a lot more than is necessary.

I think there may be a place for badges but they'd have to really be thought out and not overlap with ratings that are logical. I kind of like the idea of them being modifiers for weather (Brady is real good in the cold, others may have more severe penalties) but again, needs a lot of thought.
Well said. I had not considered it as much as you have but i agree with your assessment. The badges should be a reminder for you what this player excels at, not an additional boost. There are so many attributes and traits that it can be hard to follow and remember everyone's best skills.

I do like the quick release trait/badge quite a bit because it adds more variety to QBs and does not have anything to do with ratings. I like clutch as well but i am afraid that could be over powered. Also, need to know what EA defines as clutch moments.

"High motor/Plays to the wistle" could be a badge for a guy that does not give up on plays on defense. For lineman it could be a guy that never stops finding someone to block vs a guy that blocks his assignment and then stops. That would not have to be a boost. Would be difficult to implement guys playing harder than others though once plays get beyond the snap and get extended somehow.

For a DB, maybe there could be a badge likes "Locates Ball". That would also not have to boost ratings i don't think. Many DBs can catch the ball just as well as another in drills so the catch attribute could be the similar. However, not many DBs can be in a dead sprint covering a WR and actually look back to locate the ball and make a play on it. Most just play the WR and get a PI or break up the pass.

Those are just a few on the spot without too much thought.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #15
MVP

briz1046's Arena

I''d be in favour of a ' badge system but only if actual on -field bonuses or boosts were extremely limited and few and far between , maybe in certain limited situations as in how the clutch trait is applied , or an extension of the O line type mechanic already in place depicting position group cohesion

I'd prefer if they were more orientated towards having an impact on FA, trades, resigning , confidence, progression and regression and retirement , with things like mentor , team leader etc having positive impacts in these areas, pretty sure EA wouldn't be allowed to introduce anything with a negative effect anyway though ( NFL/NFLPA interference)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #16
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Badge/Icon systems have never been implemented well in any sports games...because they are always one sided and result in an over-arcadization of the game. There need to be an equal number of NEGATIVE outcome badges as there are POSITIVE outcome badges.

So, you have "Rocket Arm" - you should have "Wet Noodle Arm". You have "Clutch" - you should have "Choker".
I could not agree more, I don't want EVERYTHING to be a boost, there needs to be some negative consequences too. Difficulty is key.

Overall, guys in here are making great points. I don't need a "badge" for a quick release QB, I should be able to scout college players for that or see that as an attribute for a FA I sign (it's not like that type of release would come as a surprise once he's on my team, it would be blatantly apparent on film study).

Adding some more unique skills like that would do wonders to make players perform different from each other, as opposed to a canned player type that only differs in speed.

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »