Home

A Closer Look at the new Run Game by Eric RayWeather

This is a discussion on A Closer Look at the new Run Game by Eric RayWeather within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: A Closer Look at the new Run Game by Eric RayWeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynbks4
I want to discuss the running game so bad but gotta wait till next week. I’ll just say you have to play it to judge . Been playing the beta non stop and man .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know 2 guys with the beta, and so far they aren't crazy about it. Can't wait til whatever NDA runs out and y'all can discuss this freely between each other.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #34
Pro

Brooklynbks4's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I know 2 guys with the beta, and so far they aren't crazy about it. Can't wait til whatever NDA runs out and y'all can discuss this freely between each other.

Yea that’s why I’m waiting till next week I want to get others opinions as well.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #35
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Based on L@@KS alone -- and I know EricRayweather stated you can't tell just from watching the video -- the pessimist in me sees it (the running game) as the same as previous Maddens. Of course, I have not played it so I can't speak to how it actually plays, or feels. But it comes as across as though you still aren't in control of your player, are locked into animations, suctioned into tackles, and momentum & physics still aren't fully respected... I will reserve judgment until I actually play it, of course. Hoping to hear positive feedback from those who have played it, and look forward to playing it myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #36
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynbks4
Yea that’s why I’m waiting till next week I want to get others opinions as well.

People who are in the beta will be able to talk about it next week?
Old 06-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #37
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
Not sure, haven't received word.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #38
MVP

briz1046's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008

Just my guess but I'm not expecting the NDA to be dropped any earlier than GC visit NDAs typically are , ie when the game becomes available via EA access
Old 06-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #39
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

Another good vid by this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYiL0VaUn5o
Old 06-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #40
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
Thanks for pointing this out. I saw the exact same play and turned the video off afterwards.

it honestly looks the same. Maybe the RB can attack a gap more aggressively? The angles the ballcarrier can make a hard cut in seem to be more pronounced?

When it comes to the tackle interaction it is still clearly a dice roll that doesn’t appear to be taking anything legitimate into account. Even if we ignore that madden still can’t illustrate something as elementary fundamental as the defender’s “break down” leading into a tackle attempt, the interaction is still hideous because Freeman makes the correct move (inside jump cut on defender’s overpursuit) and somehow the animation ends with him cutting outside into the boundary?!?!

The defender’s left arm could have clipped an extremity, forcing Freeman to trip and that would have been a much more convincing animation.

I used to harp on this when I cared more but this is the type of stuff that murders any hope of this game actually emulating the sport. If Freeman had been attempting to get a first down and break that boundary for just one or two yards he would have been making the absolute best move. Him getting warped into this tackle animation that clearly defies the laws of physics fundamentally disrespects the “game of inches” nature of Football.
I can only think that Madden isn't ready for this sort of stuff. The game is a struggle to keep balanced between offense and defense as it is, and I think removing this artificial advantage for defenders would probably make it too unbalanced towards offense, without a lot of attention to make offense more realistic as well. For EA it would be a slippery slope into requiring more and more realistic choices to counter balance (stuff like offensive players looking ahead too early and dropping an easy pass, more slipping, more realistic pass accuracy, adding the affects of situational pressure etc).

I honestly think that Madden right now is probably as realistic as EA ever want it to get, in this regard. More animations, more window dressing features like hand interactions, but there's a reason the core physics of the game have barely changed since the PS2 era - the ability to control players in fundamentally unrealistic ways. Even if the running "feels" a lot different as hinted by the beta players, the video clearly shows the end results are mostly the same. Feel does get you some distance but it will never look like the NFL without that extra commitment to physical realism.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »