Home

EA Sports Ultimate Team Modes Will Reveal Item Drop Odds

This is a discussion on EA Sports Ultimate Team Modes Will Reveal Item Drop Odds within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
EA Sports Ultimate Team Modes Will Reveal Item Drop Odds

via Polygon

Relevant to this forum because Madden is an EA Sports game, obviously, and of particular interest to me personally as someone who has been following the loot box saga in the games industry pretty closely over the past year.

I know most players here don't particularly enjoy MUT for one reason or another, but we can all agree that more transparency in the mode is a good thing for anyone who does play and enjoy it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2018, 01:00 AM   #2
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports Ultimate Team Modes Will Reveal Item Drop Odds

More transparency is better. I do wonder how the odds will be displayed, though. Right now you know that a pack will have x number silvers or better, and x number of gold players or better, and x number of elite players.

Will get a spread of possible OVRs? Because Elites are not that big of a deal unless they are rated really high.

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies
Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
MVP

This is interesting to me because the posting of odds in my mind only further strengthens the gambling connection. I get the need to be more transparent as they attempt to cut off future issues, but I could see this back firing.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 1

even posting odds, i still think some EU countries will view it as gambling. in FFXI they have a lottery type thing, however even if you lose you win something, therefore deemed a transaction not gambling
Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
even posting odds, i still think some EU countries will view it as gambling. in FFXI they have a lottery type thing, however even if you lose you win something, therefore deemed a transaction not gambling
You're getting something with these as well, however by definition in many places that doesn't alleviate the gambling connection.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
You're getting something with these as well, however by definition in many places that doesn't alleviate the gambling connection.
IANAL but my current understanding is that if you're receiving any sort of digital good in exchange for money, the action fails the "chance" pillar of the three-prong test that United States courts use to determine if a particular action is gambling.

Put another way: since you're always receiving something in return for your money in that case, you are never risking anything, so it's not gambling. There is no chance you simply lose your money, you're spending it towards a vaguely-described good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
in FFXI they have a lottery type thing, however even if you lose you win something, therefore deemed a transaction not gambling
Basically this. There's often no explicit "lose" state in these loot boxes, you just don't get the chase item you want, you get something else instead. Opening a MUT pack doesn't have a "lose" state, for example; all your cards you receive are presented as if they are the latest and greatest.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
IANAL but my current understanding is that if you're receiving any sort of digital good in exchange for money, the action fails the "chance" pillar of the three-prong test that United States courts use to determine if a particular action is gambling.

Put another way: since you're always receiving something in return for your money in that case, you are never risking anything, so it's not gambling. There is no chance you simply lose your money, you're spending it towards a vaguely-described good.

Basically this. There's often no explicit "lose" state in these loot boxes, you just don't get the chase item you want, you get something else instead. Opening a MUT pack doesn't have a "lose" state, for example; all your cards you receive are presented as if they are the latest and greatest.

Consideration, Chance, Prize are the three things you look for when applying the litmus test here. MUT along with trading cards in general do actually meet all three prongs to this test. The reality is they have been allowed to exist because it was never viewed as a big enough problem to care. This is something that may evolve with the digital age though.

Consideration means that there was a payment or exchange of goods to receive something back. Even if you are guaranteed to get at least something of equal or greater back it still meets the consideration standard. This idea that if you always get something back it's not gambling is false, contrary to popular belief.

Does skill matter in any way to dictate the outcome of the result? If not then it is considered chance, actually if it's not considered at least 51% skill it is considered chance.

Do you receive a prize for participation, or possibly receive a prize? This is an obvious yes in many cases but is still one of the requirements to establish gambling.

To see how this gets applied in the real world look to sweepstakes and other random drawing type promotions. When you see giveaways advertised you'll often times hear the term "no purchase necessary to enter". The reason this is stated expressly is because it removes one of the prongs to gambling thus making these giveaways not gambling due to the lack of consideration. Often times, if there were not a free opportunity to enter many of these sweepstakes (think McDonald's Monopoly) would actually be considered gambling.

Last edited by T4VERTS; 07-02-2018 at 02:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »