Home

OVR rating and contracts

This is a discussion on OVR rating and contracts within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
OVR rating and contracts

I know in past maddens OVR ratings has had an impact on contracts. Like for example in franchise, an owner could purposely not pump awareness to keep the overall low before the time came due to resign the player to get him resigned on the cheap. There were also issues with doing a position change to lower the overall and resign for cheaper.

With the new progression system, you can't avoid the awareness boost, so does anyone know if contracts work the same way?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Re: OVR rating and contracts

There are multiple, major benefits of this new progression system for online leagues. People are focusing on how guys progress, which is important of course, but there are implications well beyond progression itself.

You've hit on one of the big ones.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
There are multiple, major benefits of this new progression system for online leagues. People are focusing on how guys progress, which is important of course, but there are implications well beyond progression itself.

You've hit on one of the big ones.
Hopefully contracts reflect position value, and hopefully position value is actually reflected in the game (*cough*quartberbacks*cough*have never ever ever been worth crap because a 79 OVR is just as useful as a 99 overall with just a couple more inaccurate passes per game*cough*and even the elite ones cost about the same price as an average QB in real life*cough*)
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Hopefully contracts reflect position value, and hopefully position value is actually reflected in the game (*cough*quartberbacks*cough*have never ever ever been worth crap because a 79 OVR is just as useful as a 99 overall with just a couple more inaccurate passes per game*cough*and even the elite ones cost about the same price as an average QB in real life*cough*)

I'm sure there will be instances of players still asking for less than we'd like to see, but overall I think people might be happier with contract amounts.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 07-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Rookie

Desperation drives contracts so much more in real life without the benefits of specific attributes/overall ratings. A 76 overall QB in Madden will always behave like a 76 overall QB. No 2017 Case Keenum/Nick Foles. No Mike Glennon either. Used to love attributes, but I’m starting to subscribe to the idea that attributes should be hidden from the user and allow the same info we get in real life- combine info, scouting reports, stats. Contract value should be based on positional need, previous year stats, age, and injury history. I think most of that was in HC09. Maybe not perfectly but that was also 10 years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax25
Desperation drives contracts so much more in real life without the benefits of specific attributes/overall ratings. A 76 overall QB in Madden will always behave like a 76 overall QB. No 2017 Case Keenum/Nick Foles. No Mike Glennon either. Used to love attributes, but I’m starting to subscribe to the idea that attributes should be hidden from the user and allow the same info we get in real life- combine info, scouting reports, stats. Contract value should be based on positional need, previous year stats, age, and injury history. I think most of that was in HC09. Maybe not perfectly but that was also 10 years ago.
We'd need a bit more than that to be realistic. Real teams have access to film. Since obviously that's not possible, at least letter grades for attributes, with an error margin (say "between B+ and A+" kind of thing) would be nice.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Definitely needs an overhaul.

The gap between the haves and have nots really needs to widen considerably.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
We'd need a bit more than that to be realistic. Real teams have access to film. Since obviously that's not possible, at least letter grades for attributes, with an error margin (say "between B+ and A+" kind of thing) would be nice.
You can do it without film, just have in-depth statistics. Add in QB play action, short throw, medium, and deep throws % into it. Same goes for WRs, you can have a stat about targets and how many were on deep routes and how many were caught. On the defensive side of the ball, you can add in hurries for defensive lineman, and for corners/safeties, you can give % of how they did in zone and man.

It's not perfect, but it's step closer to actually being a scout in real life.

I'd also add in randomly generated attributes behind the scenes for each player - that way you have unpredictability in Madden like it is in real life. Say for example, a player has a randomly generated attribute that makes him a one year wonder, while another player has one that makes him a late bloomer. This way, you would get burned far more often while taking a chance on a player. Those are just a couple of examples.

I have no issue with a grading system, but my problem is that every coach/scout in Madden already knows the potential of a player - your grade on a player is similar to every other coach/scout in the league with a slight boost depending on scheme. I would like to see that reflect the NFL a little more, obviously the Browns liked Mayfield more than some other teams - so their view of his grade and potential grade would be different than say maybe the Jets who had Darnold higher.

If there is anything I hope modders work on, it's that - I think it would be a little easier than working on animations in the frostbite engine.

Last edited by mattjames2010; 07-05-2018 at 02:19 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »