Home

Traditional CFM vs. use of Lamar "Vick" Jackson

This is a discussion on Traditional CFM vs. use of Lamar "Vick" Jackson within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Traditional CFM vs. use of Lamar "Vick" Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
In some ways you're correct, it's not unrealistic to start first rounders.
However, it IS unrealistic to start a first round project QB when you have a solid vet. Green Bay drafted Rodgers 24th overall and he sat for 3 seasons behind Favre, and he wasn't even considered a project. KC drafted Mahomes 10th overall he sat for a year behind Alex Smith. Even the Cardinals and Jets aren't sure if Rosen or Darnold will start. Sure that could be them playing games, but it's a toss up honestly (I think more so for Rosen competing with Bradford).

Jackson was the 5th QB taken for a reason, they don't expect him to be a starter. He's got some kinks to work out. If the OP is most concerned with "realism," he wouldn't start him right away. The biggest concern would be XP.

To the OP: Realism is that he wouldn't start. I'd focus on him during weekly training to keep getting him XP. If you're ahead by a lot, losing by a lot, or the offense is stagnant in a game, put Jackson in. If your season becomes a bust and you are gonna miss playoff, play him for experience. If he does well, unload Flacco in the offseason or the following year. He will be 34-35 by then and about time to move on as it is.
I agree that if you're going for realism he wouldn't start. The problem is the game can't replicate a guy sitting on the bench and developing for a year or two so you're hurting your players development by trying to be realistic in an unrealistic scenario
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #26
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I agree that if you're going for realism he wouldn't start. The problem is the game can't replicate a guy sitting on the bench and developing for a year or two so you're hurting your players development by trying to be realistic in an unrealistic scenario
Agreed on that note regarding development. That's why one would have to focus on him in weekly training, put him in games when they are all but decided, and play him if the season is lost.

On another note for that, sometimes it is necessary to go in and edit players yourself to get the most realistic result. I had to edit Dez Bryant in my Madden 17 dynasty. Due to regression, his speed was down to a 78 just because he was 31. That's entirely unrealistic, so I put him back to an 86 or so. Fast enough but enough that he had maybe lost a step.

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #27
MVP

Dez is currently without a job, at age 29, and he hasn't played at an all-pro level since 2014. If anything is unrealistic about Dez's regression it's that it didn't happen fast enough if you still had him rostered at age 31.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #28
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Dez is currently without a job, at age 29, and he hasn't played at an all-pro level since 2014. If anything is unrealistic about Dez's regression it's that it didn't happen fast enough if you still had him rostered at age 31.
I'm referring only to speed. Dropping to 78 is ridiculous, regardless of who. Tight ends are faster than that.

On top of that, it was a Madden 17 franchise, meaning I started it in 2016 and ended before 2017 real season. It did not run in current day...so what transpired this year in the NFL and the offseason has nothing to do with the realism of it. The only season that coincided real life was 2016 where he put up 796 yards despite missing 5 or 6 games, and went off with 9 catches for 132 yards and 2 TD's in the playoff game they lost. That's pretty good numbers for being injured 5-6 weeks. When I started, and ended that franchise, Dez was still considered their #1 man. He was a consistent 1200-1400 yard receiver for me in that franchise. So given that, it was even more ridiculous he had dropped that much.

Anyway, this is getting off topic of what the OP wanted to know: If it would be realistic to start Lamar Jackson. Realistically, Flacco is starting.

Major Boise State fan

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 07-09-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
Agreed on that note regarding development. That's why one would have to focus on him in weekly training, put him in games when they are all but decided, and play him if the season is lost.

On another note for that, sometimes it is necessary to go in and edit players yourself to get the most realistic result. I had to edit Dez Bryant in my Madden 17 dynasty. Due to regression, his speed was down to a 78 just because he was 31. That's entirely unrealistic, so I put him back to an 86 or so. Fast enough but enough that he had maybe lost a step.
I do this all the time. Every year on week 17, I generally progress and regress players based on performance. I generally do this for contractual reasons. I have to do a 32 coach offline league because I just can't trust the CPU to not make stupid decisions. I would rather lose the element of surprise than constantly see the CPU make boneheaded decisions time after time again.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #30
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20

I've had a real back and forth myself about starting Joe or Lamar.

Initially, I figured I'd start Joe all of season 1 (barring injury), because that's what's most likely to happen irl. Let Lamar develop behind him then make the transition.

But the closer we get to release, the hype and excitement is getting too real. With the ratings that came out today, Jackson's accuracy out of the box is close enough to Flacco's that it hardly makes sense to sit him.

As far as keeping it sim on the field, I'm not worried about that. Playing in a 32 man league, and given my play style to begin with, I don't think it'll be a problem.

Bigger question for me is scheme and playbook, especially given how player development seems to be more dependent on being a scheme fit than anything else.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:43 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 19

If folks think they’re just have a Vick 2.0 with Jackson in M19, hahahahaha!!!
I won’t spoil the surprise.

Two crucial components that will play a role is the abilities/strengths of the OL and WR core at the QB’s disposal.

Keep in mind, these two positions have had additional ratings added to them to further differentiate the nuances that each player will bring to the table.

This year you’re going to have to be aware of your players strengths/weaknesses on the roster to accomplish what you’re trying to do on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #32
Rookie

PlaybookKing's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I expect 99.9 percent of the people who use the Ravens to install Jackson as their QB from day one. It is what it is. My hope is that the gameplay mechanics/AI are improved enough so that there is actually a downside to doing so.
I am a big fan and he has so much raw potential to be a great Madden player, I would obviously make a custom playbook and tailor it to his strengths, the only downside is that the roster isn't a compete now team and lacks young talent. So I'm on the fence if I want to take them over solely for Lamar.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »