Home
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Madden NFL 19 Ratings

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1547820439

From Recap Wizard (https://twitter.com/RecapWiz)

Player Ratings from Madden NFL 19 (73 - 99 ovrl)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Madden NFL 19 Ratings

Appreciate the link. This is going to help me get a head start on my custom roster for my CFM. Some of the things I see already are confusing to me.

Trent Williams 76 speed, 82 acceleration
Ndamukong Suh 72 speed, 83 acceleration

I feel this is a bit lazy. Williams is faster overall, but Suh is "quicker". You can tell this by comparing their combine performances.

Williams ran a 4.81 40. Suh ran a 5.03. However, Suh had a 4.44 shuttle and 7.21 3-cone while Williams came in at 4.63 and 7.64. This is part of why I think Madden fails to make players feel different because they rate everyone to be equal in too many categories whereas a little research shows these two players are a bit different in their speed of movement.

I don't have my formulas down yet for acceleration and agility, but I would give Williams a 73 speed rating while Suh would have a 65. Suh would definitely have a higher acceleration rating to reflect their differences in quickness, but like I said before, that's a formula I am working on still.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 07-09-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Appreciate the link. This is going to help me get a head start on my custom roster for my CFM. Some of the things I see already are confusing to me.

Trent Williams 76 speed, 82 acceleration
Ndamukong Suh 72 speed, 83 acceleration

I feel this is a bit lazy. Williams is faster overall, but Suh is "quicker". You can tell this by comparing their combine performances.

Williams ran a 4.81 40. Suh ran a 5.03. However, Suh had a 4.44 shuttle and 7.21 3-cone while Williams came in at 4.63 and 7.64. This is part of why I think Madden fails to make players feel different because they rate everyone to be equal in too many categories whereas a little research shows these two players are a bit different in their speed of movement.

I don't have my formulas down yet for acceleration and agility, but I would give Williams a 73 speed rating while Suh would have a 65. Suh would definitely have a higher acceleration rating to reflect their differences in quickness, but like I said before, that's a formula I am working on still.
To some extent, one needs to put aside the measurables in favor of the results on the field. When I rate defensive linemen, I don't look at combine numbers for defensive linemen, I look at tape and see how well they close after defeating a block. Flattening out and closing to the QB is a skill, and it's not just what we might call "acceleration" in Madden.

The highest acceleration defensive lineman shouldn't be the one with the best shuttle or the best 3 cone (honestly, the 20-yard split and vertical jump are both better measures anyways given the distances involved on the field and that you don't have to consciously decelerate much). It's the one best at coming out of a beaten block, flatting toward the quarterback, and exploding to close the distance, because that's it's most critical function in-game.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

“The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.”
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
To some extent, one needs to put aside the measurables in favor of the results on the field. When I rate defensive linemen, I don't look at combine numbers for defensive linemen, I look at tape and see how well they close after defeating a block. Flattening out and closing to the QB is a skill, and it's not just what we might call "acceleration" in Madden.

The highest acceleration defensive lineman shouldn't be the one with the best shuttle or the best 3 cone (honestly, the 20-yard split and vertical jump are both better measures anyways given the distances involved on the field and that you don't have to consciously decelerate much). It's the one best at coming out of a beaten block, flatting toward the quarterback, and exploding to close the distance, because that's it's most critical function in-game.

I agree with you that the 20 yard split would be much better to use, but I've struggled to find the data for it. If I had that I'd be using it 100%.

Just for the heck of it, Suh had a 35.5 vertical, Williams had a 34.5.

Also, for Madden, with the way the pursuit rating works in game, would it not be the better rating to use for judging how fast a guy gets to the QB off of a block? I'd like for speed and acceleration to match what they measure at and have the pursuit rating be a modifier to separate those who are great at "Flattening out and closing to the QB is a skill" from those who aren't.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 07-09-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I agree with you that the 20 yard split would be much better to use, but I've struggled to find the data for it. If I had that I'd be using it 100%.

Just for the heck of it, Suh had a 35.5 vertical, Williams had a 34.5.

Also, for Madden, with the way the pursuit rating works in game, would it not be the better rating to use for judging how fast a guy gets to the QB off of a block? I'd like for speed and acceleration to match what they measure at and have the pursuit rating be a modifier to separate those who are great at "Flattening out and closing to the QB is a skill" from those who aren't.
Don't quote me here but I believe pursuit only comes into play for a moving target. It's far more a LB skill.

As for flattening out- Madden doesn't differenciate between players in this, it's shared animations, so the work has to be done by the 2nd step, closing, which is pure acceleration. Kind of like if you want a Jimmy G to perform like irl, you gotta bump THP because Madden doesn't differenciate release time, so THP has to do the work of both irl traits.

“The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.”
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #6
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1

they group everyone too close as far as ovr they do a good job spreading from 80-99 but then they rank too close in the 70's when they needs to be more 60's and 50's at launch i rem on madden 99 kurt Warner was a 54 at launch ended at 97 madden 99 2003 and 2010 default had the best ratings
Old 07-10-2018, 12:11 AM   #7
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwoods
they group everyone too close as far as ovr they do a good job spreading from 80-99 but then they rank too close in the 70's when they needs to be more 60's and 50's at launch i rem on madden 99 kurt Warner was a 54 at launch ended at 97 madden 99 2003 and 2010 default had the best ratings
I liked Madden 10s rosters a lot. That said, I think it should probably look more or less like a standard distribution, with 68% of the roster within 1 standard deviation of the median.

-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 07-10-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwoods
OVR aint gonna matter as much now
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »