Home

Official Madden NFL 19 Player Ratings Revealed (All of them)

This is a discussion on Official Madden NFL 19 Player Ratings Revealed (All of them) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #89
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Official Madden NFL 19 Player Ratings Revealed (All of them)

I'm a little confused on a few of these ratings as most people are. The one that stands out the most to me is Malik Hooker. His overall is 78, good for 25th overall in the league. Show me a GM that would take 25 FS over him. His zone rating is a 79, and not in the top 20 FS in zone coverage it appears. A 78 overall rating is pretty low for a guy that was proving to be the legit center field ball hawk everyone predicted he would be. Had 3 ints in 3 games straight.

What baffles me most is TJ Green is rated the same overall, has an 80 zone and 77 catching (2 higher than Hookers 75). He has never had an INT in his career and has been notoriously bad in coverage as well. Hooker looks like one of the mediocre options at safety and TJ Green looks like one of the best young safeties in the NFL according to those ratings. Should be the other way around.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #90
Pro

GrayDawg's Arena

Looks like I will be making edits to the ratings. For example rookie QB's that have been over hyped will be dropping until they prove it on the field.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #91
Banned

I leave ratings as they are, especially now that EA updates them throughout the season. We all think our favorite players are going to play at or above our perception of how good they will be. I think Pat Mahomes is going to be a superstar, for example. But we also realize that over and over, many players fail to live up to their ratings. Mahomes might throw 30 INTs and 4 TDs this season.

So when I play, I just assume the guys that are underrated are guys that just don't play to the level I assumed they would, and just move on. Because, in reality, Madden and other AAA sports games never replicate players just being really, really bad for a season, almost out of the blue, even though this is an annual occurrence.

I think they should just hide the ratings, and just rank players by class. Maybe we have Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Elite. No ratings, but just an idea how good a player is supposed to be. Then they should apply an algorithm that tanks x% of players' ratings, so they have terrible seasons, and boosts a x% of lower class players into a great ratings, all based on historical trends. Maybe some players they just tank for 2 or 3 games, without letting you know. Maybe they boost a back-up HB that is in for an injured starter for one week, but then bring them back down.

What revealed ratings do is screw up our expectations. We know the numbers for a WR and CB, but we know that in real life that it doesn't mean one wins every battle for the day, even if the talent level is very different. But when you know the ratings of both, and then see the better rated guy lose the battle, we call foul. But that is the wrong way to view a sports game, in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #92
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL

I think they should just hide the ratings, and just rank players by class. Maybe we have Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Elite. No ratings, but just an idea how good a player is supposed to be. Then they should apply an algorithm that tanks x% of players' ratings, so they have terrible seasons, and boosts a x% of lower class players into a great ratings, all based on historical trends. Maybe some players they just tank for 2 or 3 games, without letting you know. Maybe they boost a back-up HB that is in for an injured starter for one week, but then bring them back down.

What revealed ratings do is screw up our expectations. We know the numbers for a WR and CB, but we know that in real life that it doesn't mean one wins every battle for the day, even if the talent level is very different. But when you know the ratings of both, and then see the better rated guy lose the battle, we call foul. But that is the wrong way to view a sports game, in my opinion.

I like the idea of the " tanking/boosting algorhithm" and I'd certainly approve of a system that ' clouds' ratings , maybe based on the ability or otherwise of your scouting hires ( both for the draft and nfl scouting) for both user and CPU teams

However I'd also like the option left in to see their true values if I chose at any point ( and I'd probably still edit to be honest , cant help myself )
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #93
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Madden NFL 19 Player Ratings Released (All of them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Khaliib, I'm obviously going to defer to you on the stuff that you see that I can't, but I do have a question for you re: roster management and OVR.

I've run season one through FA and the draft several times. I routinely see teams signing a FA and/or drafting over any QB below 85 OVR, regardless of draft status or performance. I routinely saw vets like Palmer and young guys like Watson, Wentz, Garoppolo (after being dealt to SF), Kizer (who doesn't suck in Madden) and even Dak, get buried by a FA signing or a draft pick in ways that made zero sense. For whatever reason, Trubisky seemed exempt from this pheomenon, but all the other guys were routinely displaced.

What I discovered was that I could forestall this displacement by artificially inflating their OVR to at least 85 just prior to FA. This tactic worked every time as a means of "protecting" a QB who should be starting for his team.

This suggests to me that OVR is in fact the sole factor driving roster management, at least for the QB position. How do you account for and explain that? It seems unlikely that these observations are simply coincidence, but I know I'm only seeing a tiny slice of the pie here.

I would like to know more about how roster management works so I can help direct the process a bit more if I want or need to.
I’ve expressed to the devs several years in a row, how loaded pre-rosters taken into CFM causes several issues to occur that do not occur when “all” default players are cycled out of the league with only generated players.
- some have used the 75 man pre-roster

Of course difficult to have a discussion surrounding internal game elements that’s not suppose to be out for public viewing.
- “We’ll take a look was the end response”

I can’t explain the why’s to your notation, but there are several elements used with roster management based on certain circumstances/criteria being met.
- this includes player, coach , FA ,as well as season situation points.

Clint said they’ve tuned Roster Management.
We’ll just have to wait and see what the final game presents.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #94
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
You keep noting your displeasure about the ratings when we have yet to get the final build to see how the “reworked” formulas for ratings will be that Clint has noted have been redone.

Shouldn’t we wait until we get the game in our hands before we cliff jump on what is/isn’t dealing with the game?
No one is cliff jumping. Chill with the hyperbole because I am criticizing the ratings. Going off of EA's history I'm going to be surprised if these reworkings are anything noticeable. Is the difference between an 85 rating and an 80 finally going to mean something or not? If not, then that is why all players tend to feel the same because everyone is rated on 1/7th of the scale making it pointless to have any ratings below 75.

Quote:
OVR’s are not the driving force behind AI roster building, matter fact, it’s a very small piece used in the management process.
- There’s a lot more under the hood that we don’t see on the front end that makes up what the AI does in the roster management area.
Overalls have long been the driving force behind practically every AI decision. They never alter their depth charts to start a player with a lower overall if they are younger and could benefit from the experience. They draft way too many players in the draft that are 1 overall better than a current player just because of that overall difference. They do the same exact thing in free agency. The only thing overall doesn't directly impact, but still has a big hand in is contracts. They are randomized at times, but still based off of player rankings which are based off of overalls.

Quote:
It’s a two-way street also.
I can guarantee if you put out your edited roster, there will be folks that don’t like what they see in your build and probably express the same sentiment that your edits don’t make sense.
Nowhere did I act like my ratings would be perfect. I really don't understand the point of mentioning this as it's common sense. Seems like an attack just because I am criticizing the game.

Quote:
- Especially when the Scheme Fit/Archetype application takes your front end “80” OVR rated player and drops him down to a “74” OVR inside CFM.
That doesn't change the fact that we have access to the ratings right now and can still see they are inflated very much and that there is still too little differentiation between the majority of players. The schemes will change the overall calculation, nothing else, so the archetype/fit doesn't have much to do with what I am criticizing at the moment.

― Plato
Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #95
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
They're going to place the ratings to where they need to be to get the players to play like themselves.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"They" is a he. It's one man doing the job which by itself is a big issue. The players don't play like themselves because everyone is inflated in too many ratings to the point the overwhelming majority play identical. If they were rated to play like themselves Tom Brady wouldn't have such high throw power and on the flip side guys like Charles Clay would actually be a pretty good run blocking tight end. The ratings are a scrambled mess. If you bring it up to Kane on social media he gets defensive, blocks half of the criticizers(some rightfully so), and then makes contradicting statements to back up his ratings like Wentz being rated low because of injury, yet Sean Lee has been hurt for 3 decades now and still is a 96.

Too many ratings, especially QB accuracy ratings are inflated to the point where there is no reason to go for a better QB than an 80 overall unless you have your sliders tuned to sub 20 accuracy. Then in other positions, like TE, the run blocking ratings seem so random and have no research behind them.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 07-11-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #96
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Injury has no bearing whatsoever on OVR confirmed by Equipt Guru.

I will link the thread for further discussion.

Also, he had help from a former player on coverage.

Wentz has a SS dev. trait and is a top ten rated QB in the game.

Answer on Jordan Howard as well.

This just proves that we don't know a lot of stuff what goes on behind the curtains.

https://twitter.com/Equipment_Guru/s...08202289704960

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »