Home

Looking to Improve My Defensive Play Calling

This is a discussion on Looking to Improve My Defensive Play Calling within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #17
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Looking to Improve My Defensive Play Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
LOL I'm not even familiar with this. Does it make it so that you CAN'T switch? If so, will the button for switching do anything when pressed?
Yep, you stay with one player the entire play. Double-click the L3 button to do it. Used to be one click, but changed to two in 17. I've used the feature dating back to when it was introduced in NCAA Football. Love it.
L.A. Noire (Switch)
Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity (Switch)
Old 07-14-2018, 01:09 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Iím also interested in how folks make the decision to go either C1/3 base or C2/4/6 base. I think this is a great thread concept.
Against the AI it doesn't much matter because they aren't scheming against you. They are just selecting plays at random according to rules assigned by the playbook/game plan they use. You can really play anything you like.

C1 and C3 are very dangerous against users. C3 can be made safe by changing it to cover 2 invert (at least on half the field) to ensure you don't give up a TD. This is an adjustment I would make against users, or the AI if you value safety more on that play, to the crossfire set up I discussed previously. Call more deep halves for the CBs and fewer cloud flats. This exposes both flats potentially, and it really stresses underneath coverage, but you won't give up the big play.

You can also rush 4 from crossfire by just putting MLB2 into a zone and doing what you want with the OLBs, just don't keep the seam flats. It comes in with a fairly modest success rate. I'd guess 20% give or take. If you do this you are now free to change the SS if you think it will help.

The 2/4/6 defenses are much, much safer over the top. Two deep halves with a deep middle third is impregnable by the AI. A human player could probably only pull it off with maybe 6 or 7 teams using stock rosters.

Pinch Dog 2 Press, Cover 6, and Cover 9 round out what I run out of the 3-4 odd to go with the 3 Cloud and Crossfire that have been discussed.

Pinch Dog 2 Press has a nice four man contain rush, and you can choose at the line which side rushes and which drops into coverage based on alignment.

The contain rush is universal to 3-4 odd. You'll send the three down linemen and one OLB and have seven in coverage. You can run it from any play because you can always blitz an OLB if you need to.

Base align, spread dline (optional), qb contain, crash d-line out. This takes the DE out of his contain because it won't be valuable. He's getting double teams. Your OLB, however, is likely to get a 1 on 1 and the contain can shine because he can either beat his block or immediately shed if the QB scrambles to him.

Since both OLBs blitz by default in Pinch Dog 2 you can do the contain rush from both sides, but I'll warn you now if the AI does PA you're going to get a sack almost every time. If you send 4 instead in comes in much less frequently if that sort of thing concerns you.

If you want Tampa 2 make it out of Pinch Dog 2. You get the flexibility to decide which side you want to drop into coverage and which to rush.

I use cover 6 and cover 9 as run Ds. Having one CB and one safety in run fits is ideal, imo. Always line up the cloud flat to where you think they might go outside with a run. They are also nice, safe, all purpose pass Ds if they throw. You can of course adjust the coverage as you see fit according to the same principles I discussed with crossfire.

That's pretty much my D. I call crossfire in the huddle, and the other four are audibles.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Whatís the issue with the seam flat zone?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
What’s the issue with the seam flat zone?
They trigger "match" coverages that aren't exactly optimal and can expose serious vulnerabilities in your deep shell.

If you run one of the stock 3 deep blitzes (they all feature seam flats) and the offense is in a 3x2 set your defense converts to man coverage on the two receiver side. They maintain their zone assignments on the three receiver side.

Either one of the man defenders could get torched with no help behind them. If the offense gets time then anything crossing from the 3 receiver side to the 2 receiver side will be wide open because those defenders are in man.

For the concept to work at all you need both fast pressure and both man defenders to lock down their WRs, and that's not something I'm willing to gamble on. 3x2 sets are also very common so it's a dilemma you'll be dealing with all game if you run them consistently.

What's worse is the offense can manipulate your D by causing the match to trigger where you don't want it to. Even something as simple as an automotion which changes the balance of a formation can completely wreck your D, and you won't have time to adjust.

Quarter flats are bad for the same reasons, and they convert to more potential assignments (they can play curl flat, hard flat, or match man based on the offense) so they an an element of unpredictability that makes them tough to scheme around.

Last edited by stinkubus; 07-14-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #21
Rookie

sphinxnole's Arena

OVR: 1

Iím an older gamer 46 now, & my motor skills are getting slower, so how do you guys make all of these adjustments to these coverages before the play starts.

I understand itís probably easier vs. the AI, but how do you do these things vs. other users. People I play barely want to let me switch to the correct player before snapping the ball much less make adjustments to these coverages to the extent to which it would take to prepare for these routes...

Help...!!!!!!

PS. Iím on PS4.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxnole
I’m an older gamer 46 now, & my motor skills are getting slower, so how do you guys make all of these adjustments to these coverages before the play starts.

I understand it’s probably easier vs. the AI, but how do you do these things vs. other users. People I play barely want to let me switch to the correct player before snapping the ball much less make adjustments to these coverages to the extent to which it would take to prepare for these routes...

Help...!!!!!!

PS. I’m on PS4.
he game added short cuts so that you don't have to click on to a player to change their assignment.

After your D breaks the huddle hit triangle twice to bring up a list of your secondary players, and then the hit the appropriate button for the defender and you'll get a menu of options to change their assignment. R1 twice brings up the LBs, and L1 brings up the D-line.

Once you get the sequences down through repetition you can do them in just a few seconds. It's actually more difficult against the AI because they quick snap you faster and more consistently than a human could ever dream of. If you get fast enough to do it against the AI then you will always be able to do it against a human.

Last edited by stinkubus; 07-14-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #23
Rookie

sphinxnole's Arena

OVR: 1

Thanx, Iíll start to practice.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Interesting stuff. Is the Mable busted this year? Is there an adjustment to it, if so, that renders it functional?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »